Change backup location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change backup location

Uncertain what may have happened, but when I went to back up my dbase (ACDSee Photo Studio Pro 2020), I was presented with the proper backup file name, but a location on a drive that I don't use for backup. When I went to look at the drive the program presented, there 'was' a subdirectory created for that backup, but no backup file at all inside of it. On the removable HDD that I used for backup, all of the backups to date were present under that same subdirectory.

So, as I have backup files on my usual HDD but the program won't access it as the backup 'location', is there a way of correcting the program to look there for the backup location?

Thanks

To add to my confusion, on that usual removable backup drive 'is' the most recent backup that the program is identifying.

So I'm thinking somehow that removable drive had its drive letter changed during the last backup, but in putting it back into the system today it has been tagged with another drive.

Could be as easy as changing the letter of the drive, but I just happen to have that drive letter used by my main system backup that I 'reallly' don't want to f with.

So again, is there a means to redirect the program or edit out the backup location so as to have the program provide the accurate backup location for my current backup needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Minburn1 View Post
      To add to my confusion, on that usual removable backup drive 'is' the most recent backup that the program is identifying.

So I'm thinking somehow that removable drive had its drive letter changed during the last backup, but in putting it back into the system today it has been tagged with another drive.

Could be as easy as changing the letter of the drive, but I just happen to have that drive letter used by my main system backup that I 'reallly' don't want to f with.

So again, is there a means to redirect the program or edit out the backup location so as to have the program provide the accurate backup location for my current backup needs?
      In terms of making another another ACDSee backup, on the third dialog of the backup Wizard, where it says "Select a destination or click Browse to specify a folder", click on the browse button, and select the drive you want it to go on, from the listing (what ever its current drive letter may be).

In terms of restoring from a previous ACDSee backup, in the second dialog of the Restore Wizard, change the radio button from "Select Backup" to "Browse for location", then click on the "Find Backup" button, select the drive your backups are on (again what ever its current drive letter may be), and the particular backup file you want to restore from.

If you are in the habit of "Updating an existing backup" rather than making a new backup each time, then in this instance I would recommend making a new backup anyhow, as I am not sure what the current continuity would be.

Comment

Thanks.

It seems the only choosing of backup location is when creating a new one; when updating a current backup there is no choice in the matter.

Might just delete all and create a full backup and continue on with that as I can't seem to find any mention of what I'm trying to achieve in re-using an existing backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Minburn1 View Post
          Thanks.

It seems the only choosing of backup location is when creating a new one; when updating a current backup there is no choice in the matter.

Might just delete all and create a full backup and continue on with that as I can't seem to find any mention of what I'm trying to achieve in re-using an existing backup.
          The only advantage I can see in updating an existing backup is space. The disadvantage is that you have to rely only on that one "updated" backup.
          My view is that the backups are relatively small and so I choose to create a complete new one each time, and manually maintain the quantity to the last four or five. That way if the database problem was also in the last backup, I still have another three or 4 to choose from.

Comment

So what I did was delete old ones, create a new one; all is well again. But I may reconsider the 'updating' of a backup and simply create multiple full backups given that the size involved isn't like (say) a full system backup where incremental or differential backups can play a useful part.

One thing this did do was make me pay attention to that removable HDD I was using and I realized its almost 10 years old!!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X