How to create Database categories from IPTC Keywords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create Database categories from IPTC Keywords

Currently testing Pro version. Would like to build database categories from IPTC keywords. I searched and just can't seem to find it.

Originally posted by 2fletch View Post
    Currently testing Pro version. Would like to build database categories from IPTC keywords. I searched and just can't seem to find it.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, so to try to simplify an answer to your question

ACDSee's database is primarily a database of files, and for the sake of this answer, consider those files to be photos or images.

An image can be assigned one or more ACDSee keywords, an ACDSee caption, ACDSee notes, an ACDSee Lable (red, yellow, green, blue or violet), or an ACDSee rating (a number from 1 to 5). An image can also (if the format allows) be assigned various IPTC fields, including on or more IPTC keywords. An image can also be assigned to an ACDSee Category (pre-existing or custom), or to a collection (smart or custom).

All these become entries relating to that parent image in the ACDSee database, and depending on whether the image format allows it, can either be embedded in the image, or in an xmp sidecar file.

You can assign an IPTC keyword, or multiple keywords to a selected image or group of selected images by directly typing them into the IPTC metadata keywords field, or by selecting them from a list of previously entered IPTC keywords, however I find it more convenient to use ACDSee keywords, and then use a Metadata preset to copy the ACDSee keywords to IPTC keywords.

Now if what you mean is that you happen to have a whole lot of images that have IPTC keywords from some other software, and you want to have those IPTC keywords read into the ACDSee Database,, it is just a matter of using Tools>Database>Catalog Files, specifying the folders the images are in, making sure that the EXIF and IPTC metadata box are ticked and ACDSee will read that metadata into its database. If the quantity of images is large, you might find it convenient to break the Catalog task into a series runs by the way you specify the folders to be Cataloged..

If the images currently only have IPTC keywords embedded, I would recommend as a separate process in ACDSee using a Metadata Preset to copy the IPTC keywords to ACDSee keywords, and then embedding the ACDSee metadata into the images.

Hope that helps

Comment

I need to copy IPTC keywords to ACDSee Database Categories (not keywords). Long-story-short, User of Pro 2.5 since it was introduced. Kept IPTC data in sync with database with 60k photos. Unable to find program disk for restore of Pro 2.5 HD failure. Have been crippling along on more recent version from Pro 2.5. With current Pro version, after about 9 hours or processing, database conversion creates shell of original database. Categories, keywords and such are there, but not bound to any images. Process db maintenance to no avail. Did this process various ways. Nothing. Point is, all of the IPTC data is there. I use to update the IPTC keywords with ACDSee categories. Now I need to just reverse it,

Comment

AFAIK there's no way within AC to to map meta data other then folder names into the AC:Categories. But there also seams no way to convert IPTC meta data into folder names . . .

However, you may try exiftool: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php...46503#msg46503
        Last edited by Emil; 11-16-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2fletch View Post
          I need to copy IPTC keywords to ACDSee Database Categories (not keywords)....
          I use to update the IPTC keywords with ACDSee categories. Now I need to just reverse it,
          AFAIK there is no way of doing that within ACDSee but perhaps more importantly is that if you have copied ACDSee Categories to IPTC keywords, that process changes the format.

ACDSee Categories can be hierarchical, where as IPTC keywords are not, and to allow for that, the way they are embedded is different.
          For example, you can have a parent category of "Dogs", and under that parent category, you can have child categories "Bernese", and "Labrador".
          Lets say you have two photos, both have been assigned to the parent category "Dogs". Photo1 has also been assigned as "Bernese" and Photo2 as "Labrador"

If you embed the ACDsee metadata in the images, the ACDSee Categories are embedded in the XMP-acdsee section of the metadata as
          Photo1 <Categories><Category Assigned="1">Dogs<Category Assigned="1">Bernese</Category></Category></Categories>
          Photo2 <Categories><Category Assigned="1">Dogs<Category Assigned="1">Labrador</Category></Category></Categories>

If the images have the metadata in that format then it can be used to reconstruct database Category entries. (See qualification later)

However when you copy the above ACDSee Categories to IPTC keywords, for instance using a Metadata Preset, they are embedded typically as
          Photo1 Dogs, Labrador
          Photo2 Dogs, Bernese
          And even the order isn't consistent, so sometimes it might appear as Bernese, Dogs.

So even if you were to use ExifTool to do a simple copy of the IPTC keywords to XMP-acdsee:Categories, that would not reconstruct the database Categories. You would have to manually parse the XMP-acdsee:Categories into the correct format for each image, and that is not likely to be viable for a large set of images.

If perchance you did embed the ACDSee metadata in your images, then you should be able to recover the Categories, but doing a Tools>Database>Catalog will NOT read Categories back IF the images already have database entries.

If the ACDSee metadata was embedded in your images, then rather than trying to convert your old database, you would perhaps be better opening a complete new database and then doing a Tools>Database>Catalog of your images. Maybe worth a try using a small number of images to start with, but only IF you did embed the ACDSee metadata.

Comment

Unless you have thousands of different keywords, it would probably be easier and quicker to simply import IPTC keywords into ACDSee keywords, then select all files with given keyword, assign category and delete keyword if you don't want both the keyword and category. If you are a programmer, then you could write an ACDSee Plugin Utility to bulk transfer keywords to categories, vice versa.
            Last edited by Regor250; 11-15-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
              ... If you are a programmer, then you could write an ACDSee Plugin Utility to bulk transfer keywords to categories, vice versa.
              IPTC keywords (and ACDSee keywords copied from them) have no hierarchical structure or relativity, so I don't believe it would be possible to determine from an IPTC keyword whether it would be a parent category, or a child, grandchild or some other generation of a another category, so I think it unlikely that the transfer process could be automated. But who knows.....

Comment

In a simplistic way I suppose with no hierarchy unless some sort of standard nomenclature to describe hierarchy is used such as toplevel>sublevel>subsublevel that can be parsed. Since there is no IPTC standard I know of like you said (perhaps there is) to depict a keyword hierarchy it would be limited in use at best. There's a reason why ACDSee does what it does with ACDSee metadata, not their fault if the standards are lacking.
                Last edited by Regor250; 11-16-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X