• Panel disposition is lost
    • Plugins are lost
    • Backups are lost
    • Development presets seem to get converted
    • What about ? :
    • picture exports presets
    • Flickr connection
    • saved searches
    • other things I have not yet discovered?
    Have I missed something?
    Last edited by brajaq; 11-07-2021, 02:45 AM.

I add complementary information :
    • flickr connection has to be redefined
    • saved searches are saved
    • pictures export definitions are lost (a GREAT burden)
    Now where are those informations stored (registry ?, files ?) so that they can be reimported to pro 2022 ?

Thanks for help.

Comment

I use the Ultimate version, not Pro, but the upgrade tasks would be similar.

To be honest I found the upgrade from U2021 to U2022 to be relatively painless compared with some of the upgrades in years past, but then having done this for many years I keep notes which help. For instance for each version I have a PDF which contains screen shots of all of the Option settings, step by step instructions for custom actions, details of settings for custom presets, custom export settings, custom shortcut keys and any changes to canned shortcuts etc..

U2022 does not overwrite U2021, and I for one am very happy with that. They can both exist (as they do and will do for some time on my PC), and the U2022 database conversion doesn't alter the U2021 database, it reads and converts the U2021 database entries into a new 2022 database. That said I personally don't use the convert function when upgrading. Convert can carry over issues from the old database so I choose to Catalog all my images into a new database. Yes that does take a bit longer, but I have a relative fast PC..

The U2021 backups are not lost unless you choose to manually delete them, and they can still be used with the U2021 version. Since the program functionality has changed, the database has changed so of course the old backups are no longer relevant, (though if really necessary one could temporarily re-install U2021, restore from a U2021 backup and then have U2022 read and convert to the new format),

No doubt some of the canned Development presets will have changed, for example those involving noise reduction would have changed to incorporate the changed sliders in the noise reduction tool, but I note ACDSee have gone to some trouble to ensure that old saved noise reduction settings are still quite usable. I don't have a lot of custom Develop presets and again I have notes of the settings for those I do have, so I chose to simply add them back in rather that export the presets from U2021 and import them into U2022. Because of the changes to functionality I look at that option as really only relevant to use if re-installing the same version.

There is actually a surprising amount of changes under the hood in U2022, and I would caution against trying to shortcut the changeover by copy/paste registry hacks. In the end that may result in lots of lost time resolving unexpected problems.

The amount of hassle involved in upgrading from one version to the next has reduced over the past few years. There is still lots of room for improvement though,.

Comment

Thanks for this information.

Comment

I totally agree with the sentiments here. ACDSEE - are you listening. Until the upgrade process in made a lot smoother then I will not be bothering to upgrade. Photo editors can provide all the bells and whistles you are offering. What we need is really good cataloguing. And that means not putting anything into the registry on windows. That approach went out years ago. Time to get with the 2020's please. XML config files - they are not difficult. Then for upgrades you can just have macros/code run against them to copy ALL options across to the new version. Please look at the upgrade process and make it as idiot proof as possible with no user interaction being required other than specifying where you want the new version and DB to be installed.

Comment

I sent an email to ACDSee support regarding this problem and a few suggestions I made regarding other functionnalities. No answer up to now (email submitted 2 weeks ago).
            I still think ACDSee is better for cataloguing than other softwares I tested too.

Comment

Hi brajaq,

We sent the reply to your support ticket on Nov 17. Can you check in your spam/junk folder ? I will also resend the response.

Regards
              James

ACD Customer Care.

Comment

Thanks for the resent response. I have nothing in spam:junk folders for this date.

Comment

Originally posted by brajaq View Post
                  A very bad surprise : nothing is automatic :
                  • Databases have to be manually converted
                  • Options are lost
                  • Workspaces are lost
                  • Panel disposition is lost
                  • Plugins are lost
                  • Backups are lost
                  • Development presets seem to get converted
                  • What about ? :
                  • picture exports presets
                  • Flickr connection
                  • saved searches
                  • other things I have not yet discovered?
                  Have I missed something?
                  This is why I stick to my 2021 version

How hard can it be to implement a function for importing settings from a previous version?

Comment

I think it is not very hard
                    • either have a function to export from previous version and import to next (estimated time 3 days work)
                    • change global configuration parameters so they are stored in a united place (xml file for instance) (estimated time 4 days work), other parameters should be preserved in the database related to them.

Comment

My inability to find upgrade instructions is frustrating. I've now installed U2022 on the same computer which has U2021, now I'm cataloging all the files. I don't know what I'm doing though I've searched for upgrade instruction. I asked for support, got nothing, so just forged ahead with a hope, a prayer, and some resentment that software I love and depend on is so poorly supported. Where are detailed upgrade instructions located? An annual subscription is sold and bought, presumably I'll do this annually, instructions are expected.

Comment

Unless something went wrong with your 2021 database, you should first convert it using Tools>Database>Convert Database. This will create a new 2022 database that mirrors your 2021, and will not affect your 2021 database. From there you are good to go. You can copy some development presets from your old 2021 manually (search this forum for past discussion threads) if you wish, but not saved sesrches.
                        Last edited by Regor250; 01-01-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonBliss View Post
                          My inability to find upgrade instructions is frustrating.
                          It may help to understand that it is NOT an upgrade, in the sense that the running of the Ultimate 2022 installer does not "upgrade" your U2021 installation. It installs a completely new and separate version of Ultimate that can co-exist with the older version if you wish. The new U2022 version even opens a new database.

You can elect to run Tools/Database/Convert Database to convert entries from your U2021 database and read them into the new U2022 database (as per Regor250 post),or use Tools/Database/Catalog Files to enter images from the folders you specify into the new database.

It is important to understand that the Catalog process will only read metadata (keywords, captions, categories etc) into the new database IF that metadata is embedded in the images.
                          If you haven't embedded all your metadata in the images with the old version, then it will not appear if you use the Catalog method. In that situation you need to use the convert method.
                          Last edited by Greyfox; 01-02-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Another vote for not upgrading. I had a huge PITA moving from Ultimate 2020 to 2021 and that's not happening again. And I echo all the sentiment from others in here - every other app that I use be it audio software to text editors to bloody Windows itself - automatically polls what's already installed and upgrades it nicely.

Imagine if you are thinking about applying the latest Feature Upgrade for Windows 10 and had to install a clean copy of the OS each time and then try to manually hack your settings into place every time? It's madness.

Several of my audio workstation apps like Studio One are infinitely more complicated than ACDSee ever will be and each time I upgrade (in-place) Studio One - it absorbs ALL my existing settings and brings it all across seamlessly.

Here in 2022 - it's joke if a software company has not figured this out yet - you would think they would want to take the time to make things easy for the user to entice people to spend money on upgrades - but this disaster of running multiple versions and then hacking your way manually back to a correct set of settings, templates and so on - actually turns me off to the point where I simply ignore any upgrade notices to avoid that hassle.

2021 works for me - the longer I can stay on it and not waste time - the better.

Sonic.

Comment

What I do not understand is that it does not seem to be a huge work to convert settings from one release to next one (I used to develop softwares too).

I did not find many differences between 2001 and 2022 (pixel targetting and channel select seem interesting features, face recognition is easier to use, brush noise reduction is a nice feature too). I do not undestand what use "media mode" can be; it replaced calendar view. Radial filters/masks may be "polygonal", in fact with rectangular corners.

Comment

Working...
                              X