Advanced File Rename - Regex based

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced File Rename - Regex based

I am new to ACDSee and just discovered the SDK. Before I go too far in investigating the capabilities of the API, I am hoping that someone can tell me if what I am hoping to accomplish can be done by a custom plugin.

Basically, I want to write a regex based (with capture groups) batch file rename. Currently, my files are named something like this: <string name>_yymm_<index>.jpg. String name is fixed for a batch of photos (example slide_batch30), yymm is year/month, and index is generated by the scanner I am using. I would like to write a plugin to re-arrange the elements of the file name... move yymm to be first. So, most likely the file name would become 1230_slide_batch30_123.jpg if it had been slide_batch30_1230_123.jpg.

I have associated ACDSee categories with these images, so don't want to lose that information, but want to write a batch rename to rename the files as described above. If I rename the files, will they lose their associated database records? Or, will that be preserved?

I would do this using a command line, but pretty sure that the images would lose the associated database records.

My advice.......NEVER rename any images processed by ACDSee with anything other than ACDSee itself. This practice is pretty much guaranteed to completely screw-up your images. I'll explain in detail later. Heading out, but will be back in a few hours. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
      My advice.......NEVER rename any images processed by ACDSee with anything other than ACDSee itself. This practice is pretty much guaranteed to completely screw-up your images. I'll explain in detail later. Heading out, but will be back in a few hours. Stay tuned.
      Thanks. Look forward to your feedback. My hope was that, if I were to write a plugin using their SDK, that I could avoid catastrophe. At this point, I have only just begun using ACDSee, so I could just start fresh again after renaming my files. However, going forward, I may want to rename them again.

Comment

Okay, here's the problem -- for both renames and file moves. Whether you shoot Raw or Jpegs, etc., your images begin as single files. BUT, when you process your image files in ACDSee, your images are supplemented with one or two additional files which contain the changes you made. In short, your single image, once processed, becomes a set of images. They are "team" if you will. So, if you need to move or rename your images, ACDSee "knows" to perform your request (e.g. Rename), on all the files of your image's set of files, AND, the corresponding database information. And, this occurs automatically and completely transparently.

In the Help data, there is a section called "How ACDSee Saves Changes to Images". I would strongly advice that you get a good solid technical understanding of exactly what ACDSee does with file handling, and its use of two important hidden sub-folders named: [Developed] and [Originals]. This file organization is ACD proprietary. Feel free to post back with any follow-up questions that you may have.

Comment

Hi Tw1tchy,

As LV_Bill mentioned, ACDSee maintains a set of files that make up a processed image. These additional files are stored in the [Developed] and [Originals] hidden folders.

You can programmatically get those folders using the Command Extension callbacks GetOriginalsFolder and GetDevelopedFolder (see CX_Plugin.h). In order to properly rename files, you would have to hunt in those folders for the additional files associated with your image and rename them as well.

However, if you are willing to wait, for ACDSee Photostudio 2021 we are coming out with vastly improved batch rename functionality, with custom rules which you can apply in a custom order. In addition, once you have made a set of rules for renaming files you can add a hotkey to apply that batch rename preset to selected files in Manage mode.

Thanks for your time/interest in the ACDSee SDK program, but for this case we are already coming out with a solution to your problem.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
          X