Canvas Draw for Mac - Released August 13, 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas Draw for Mac - Released August 13, 2015

I'm happy to announce that today we released Canvas Draw for Mac.

Faster and more powerful than ever before, Canvas X 16 is specially designed to make it possible for engineers, small business owners, and technical graphics professionals to illustrate and communicate with confidence.

I have purchased it and cannot thank you enough for finally releasing this for Mac. Thank you for retaining the GUI that we're so familiar with. Finally, the price is right. Took it for a small test run and it seems okay so far. Finally I now have a big extra space on my desk as I can now get rid of my legacy Mac.

Comment

Looks ok at first glance but problems are already cropping up. These are very basic issues that should have been caught in beta testing.
      It will not recognize Corel Draw .CDR files like other Canvas products. I work with these excellent vector files.
      It chokes on pasting large Word .docx files, seems the old ACD Mac memory problems are still around.
      More to come I'm sure.
      Last edited by Frodo; 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Good start... but it crashes when I try to open .cnv files (of which I have hundreds).

Comment

Okay, I'm impressed. Canvas Draw is a very familiar environment and very capable. Many things that I didn't think it would include it in fact does (powerful scaling, vector paint bucket, custom symbols, area and perimeter calculations, clipping paths, familiar document layout palette, raster editing, etc.) It strikes me as being very similar to Canvas 8 or maybe 9 (not including GIS or scientific modules, of course). It also retains some decade old conventions that I was hoping it would have ditched: for example, shadows are still separate raster objects behind the shadowing object, no .SVG import or export, no modern interior or exterior shadow or glow capabilities, and many other capabilities that are in modern vector programs. File import and export is much reduced over the the Windows version of Canvas X (or even the last Mac version of Canvas X).The amazing Find palette of Canvas X is missing as well. Perhaps (hopefully) all these things will be in the new Canvas X for Mac, along with the GIS module, object properties, object edit palette, a place to dock palettes, etc.

So, not Canvas X yet, but a very fine start (and only one crash so far :-) and much more capable than I though Canvas Draw would be. Bravo, ACD. As a Mac user, it's great to have much of the core Canvas functionality back again so I don't have to start up VMWare every time I need to draw a figure (and Canvas Draw will even open my Canvas X GIS files made on the Windows side with the proper scaling etc.). Hopefully, modern vector graphics technologies will make it into Canvas Draw eventually, and Canvas X will be have feature parity with the Windows version (at least) but it is nice to have all of the legacy functionality of the basic Canvas back again. (And no problems here with .cnv files though it doesn't seem to recognize Canvas 3.5 files; maybe they need an extension)

Comment

Just hit another snag with my researchers here - there are a number of them still clinging to Macs running 10.6.8 so they can run Canvas X. Given that Canvas Draw looks like it requires 10.9 or 10.10 they won't be able to trial it!

Comment

Now mine crashes every 20 minutes or so just sitting there. OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite. Can't tell what's causing it. Not that great a start. This kind of stuff should have been caught in beta testing long time ago.

Comment

Wow, didn't even get an announcement from the beta test team that we're done beta testing Canvas Draw.

I keep my beta copy b135 of Canvas Draw open all day long on my MacMini with Yosemite 10.10.4. Also, Canvas Draw takes far longer than Canvas X b926 with Snow Leopard to open or save my large document, a 32 page concert program with a lots of 300 dpi photos.

Comment

Wow - this is awesome. I opened up 10 year old Canvas X files - no problem. It seems just like CanvasX to me. I am running a Mac Pro with 10.10.4 (Yosemite). Initial impressions are really good for me.

Comment

Okay, playing with Canvas Draw, I continue to be impressed but have just come up against a potential show stopper for me: for technical/scientific drawing, one uses a lot of specialized symbols, especially greek letters. Canvas does not appear to use the standard Mac character picker and does not appear to be Unicode compliant (e.g., UTF-8). Unicode characters copied from other Mac programs do not paste into Canvas. I don’t know what text engine the program is using but is not the standard Mac OS X text engine; it is probably using the old Canvas Mac OS 9, or perhaps a Windows oriented text engine. I have not found any way to enter Greek characters.

This won’t be a problem for many people but it is seriously bad new for people who try to use the program for technical/scientific drawing. I've submitted my "feature request" to tech support already but thought others with similar needs might like to know.

Comment

I would guess that you will need the full Canvas Pro 16 when it comes out. It's supposed to be for more technical needs from what I understand.

Comment

This release is a good news bad news as in it now works, sort of, on Yosemite. That's the good news, the bad news is that it still seems to suffer from the crashing that plagued it in the past. I anticipate ACD will resolve the many problems that lurk in this release. We will hang in there like the grateful Canvaser's that we are.

Comment

An important item missing from Canvas Draw for me is Auto Trace, I use it often when I do mockups of ukulele and bass ukes I have custom made or modified. I sure hope it's in Canvas X Pro 16.

Comment

So, is this the Canvas for the Mac that we've been waiting for? Or is this the economy model and there's still more program to come?

Not to complain, I think this is great for most of my needs. It's amazing. Fast.

Comment

It's the somewhat simplified version. The full version is named Canvas X Pro 16 that we are about to restart beta testing shortly. ACD says it will be out later this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X