Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very broken resize on high ISO files

Afternoon all,

is anyone else seeing this problem? (Click on the uploads for large images showing the full horror...)

This is a Canon R5 file at 12800 ISO: I've converted it initially - to a full-sized tiff - in Capture One (not that converter choice is relevant to the problem), and opened it in Gemstone:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gemstone_before_resize.jpg Views:	0 Size:	486.1 KB ID:	58502

Then, all I do is Resize Document to (in this case) 1400px longest side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gemstone_after_resize.jpg Views:	0 Size:	707.5 KB ID:	58503
    As you can see, there is a huge amount of added noise (along with some added sharpness? This suggests the problem relates to the resizing algorithm in use, but I can't find a way to change that).

It happens on high ISO files from (for example) my 1Dx as well, so it's not camera specific.

It also happens if I convert the Raw file in Gemstone first.

It does not happen in Photo Studio Professional 2022, or Photo Editor 11.

Is anyone able to replicate this, please? Any suggestions as to how to prevent it, gratefully received.

Window 10 Home, fully updated
    AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz
    32gb RAM
    Radeon R7260X graphics, (2gb), latest drivers.

Added:
    Another before and after Gemstone resizing example - crops, to make the problem easier to see. You'll be able to tell which is which, I reckon:

Click image for larger version  Name:	OK_crop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.8 KB ID:	58507

Click image for larger version  Name:	WTF_crop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	327.8 KB ID:	58508

Again, all I've done is resize the file in Gemstone, prior to cropping in Irfanview.

Added 13/12/21:
    It's happening on low(er) ISO files too - I've seen it today on 2000 ISO images.
    Last edited by KeithReeder; 12-15-2021, 06:57 AM.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We were able to reproduce it. Developers have been notified. I will notify you when a fix is available.

Sincerely,

Shakil H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Many thanks, Shakil - happy to provide further input as needs be.

Comment

Working...
      X