Recovery recording after a system power fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery recording after a system power fail

My PC had a powerfail during a 2 hour recording with VideoRecorder4.
    After the restart of the PC I found that both the ~temp*.mp4 and the VS4TempFileMap.vrfm are still existing in the Temporary Storage folder.
    Can these files be used for a recovery of the recording up to the powerfail?

Originally posted by user-2 View Post
    My PC had a powerfail during a 2 hour recording with VideoRecorder4.
    After the restart of the PC I found that both the ~temp*.mp4 and the VS4TempFileMap.vrfm are still existing in the Temporary Storage folder.
    Can these files be used for a recovery of the recording up to the powerfail?
    -temp*.mp4 would not appear to be a valid filename (usually the asterisk is not accepted in a filename)
    If that file is not zero byte, and you were able to copy it to another location and rename it to something like "Test.mp4" then it might contain part of the recording.

However from a quick test here using a hacked disk file table with a video file renamed to "-temp*.mp4", unfortunately I have doubts Windows will allow you to copy, rename or even delete that file.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 11-22-2021, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Sorry, to simplify I had typed the * in the filename. Its full name is ~temp-20211121_1252_13.mp4 and its size is more than 1 Gb.
      I have copied this file together with the other temp file VS4TempFileMap.vrfm to another location supposing that this mp4 file can be recovered .
      I can open this mp4 file in a viewer but nothing happens.
      Maybe Luxea could do the recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by user-2 View Post
        ...Maybe Luxea could do the recovery?
        Maybe ... depends if the file is a properly constituted .mp4 and isn't corrupted. Only way to find out is to give it a try.

If that doesn't work, there are some utilities that claim to be able to fix corrupted video files. Google "how to fix damaged mp4 video files".
        Problem is whilst it has a .mp4 (video file) extension, it may not actually be in a format that can be "fixed".

Comment

Working...
        X