Problem with keywords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with keywords

Hi, I'm using the v5 trial version whilst I look at whether ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac can replace Phase One Media Pro, which I have been using in its various forms for 15 years. I have a big collection of 40k images, all tagged with hierarchical keywords which have been exported out to the metadata. digiKam reads these correctly (but has other flaws which means it's not right for me), so they see to be fine, but ACDSee doesn't. If you look at the properties pane of the image, all the keywords are there, but on the organise pane the keywords list is empty.

So the db doesn't seem to be scaning the library I have - which makes sense as it doesn't import in the way other DAMs do. And because it doesn't properly recognise that each image actually is keyworded, it won't find the keywords pics when you do a search.

As there are 40k images, there's no way I'm going to start keywording again from scratch.

Can anyone advise, please?

Also, one of the key benefits of Media Pro was its extensibility by scripting. So for example I had a script which allocated the current file name to a metadata field, so that when I changed the jpeg file name for long term saving I could keep a record of its original name so that I could more easily find the raw file if I wanted to re-edit later. Is that sort of scripting possible with ACDSee, or is there another way to retain original filenames?

All tips much appreciated.

Hi tsp1965,

Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't able to find a copy of the software you mention so I couldn't test the issue myself.
    Would it be possible for you to provide a sample photo?

Regarding your second question, yes, it's possible to allocate the current file name to a metadata field:

1) Select the image(s)
    2) Batch > Set Information...
    3) Select the "Destination" metadata field. For example, you could choose IPTC > Content > Title.
    4) Drag the "File" metadata token to the "Value" field
    5) In the "Value" field, click the "File" metadata token's dropdown arrow, then from the submenu, choose "Name".
    6) Run Batch.

Note you can save this as a Batch Preset and rerun it any time.

Regards,
    David

Comment

Hi David, thanks for the tips on adding the file name to the title - this is exactly what I am able to do now, so that's good - will test it later today.

Another process I regularly use is to find all the photos in a folder given a green tag and make any other photos with the same filename green also. I use that to ensure that I keep both the raw and jpg files for each image I want to save. Can the batch process do this as well, please?

I've attached a typical image. There are a couple of hierarchies of keywords in this, a place set and an activity set. What is particularly good about the Media Pro approach is its support for hierarchical keywords. So if a keyword is in the hierarchy Place: Europe: France : Paris dragging it to the Paris keyword tags it with all four. As far as I can see the keywords list in the organise panel can be hierarchical, but if I set up a matching hierarchy in that panel it doesn't recognise that the photo conforms?

Incidentally, some feedback on your raw develop module. At the moment I use Media Pro as a DAM and Photoshop CC for all raw processing. Your product can do good raw processing, which would be perfect if it had radial and gradient tools so that you can selectively change parts of the image. As far as I can see your raw tools are all all-or-nothing? There's no adjustment brush or radial/gradient selection?

I imagine there are quite a lot of refugees from Media Pro looking for a new home, since support was discontinued and its 32 bit code will soon become unusable on the Mac. Your product is the closest I have found so it might be an idea to put some 'migrating from Media Pro' FAQs on your site and look at whether there's a way of taking a Media Pro xml output and importing it into your product to keep users' existing catalogues intact.

Comment

I've worked out that the properties panel has sub-sections and I was just looking at the IPTC Core sub-set. I can therefore use the Batch tool to copy the IPTC Keywords into the ACDSee database, so that they pop up in the keywords list. What they don't do is respect the hierarchy, so even if I create a matching hierarchy to the one in my old software, if I use a batch operation it creates new flat structure keywords, so I end up with two versions - one in the hierarchy and one not. I guess I could run this whole operation on the library, then go through copying the contents of each flat keyword onto the hierarchical version, but that's going to be pretty laborious given the number of keywords there are! Or perhaps better I could delete my couple of test hierarchies so there are only flat keywords, do the batch operation and then rebuild the hierarchy.

Is there a more elegant way to do this please?

What's for sure is that if the open source digiKam can scan the IPTC keywords and recreate the hierarchy, the information must be there.

Comment

Hi tsp1965,

Thank you for your reply.

"Another process I regularly use is to find all the photos in a folder given a green tag and make any other photos with the same filename green also. I use that to ensure that I keep both the raw and jpg files for each image I want to save. Can the batch process do this as well, please?"
          Unfortunately there's no way to do this via a batch preset.

Incidentally, some feedback on your raw develop module. At the moment I use Media Pro as a DAM and Photoshop CC for all raw processing. Your product can do good raw processing, which would be perfect if it had radial and gradient tools so that you can selectively change parts of the image. As far as I can see your raw tools are all all-or-nothing? There's no adjustment brush or radial/gradient selection?
          At the moment, raw processing tools are all-or-nothing. However, we are currently in the process of making huge improvements to Develop mode, including adding the ability to selectively change parts of the image. These improvements are scheduled to be available in our next major release.

Regarding hierarchical keywords, the issue here is that Phase One and ACDSee tag the hierarchical keywords differently when writing to the file. Using a third-party tool like Exiftool, I can see the information is definitely there. Unfortunately ACDSee doesn't have a way to import or otherwise read the hierarchical keywords written by Phase One. I think your idea ("delete my couple of test hierarchies so there are only flat keywords, do the batch operation and then rebuild the hierarchy") is the best solution.

Regards,
          David

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for the reply. That's what I did. Slow process though: re-export all keywords to files out of Phase One (to make sure they're all there), re-catalog the whole lot in ACDSee, and then the really slow bit, run the batch to copy keywords. I couldn't find a way to do that in the folder tree - ie. selecting the top level folder and telling ACDSee to run a batch on that folder, all its subfolders and all the subfolders within that (the files are held in a year folder structure, with event sub-folders) and I couldn't find a way to show all files, so I resorted to doing it year by year in the calendar - which is fine for digital images but not for my large collection of scanned images. Scanned images with no calendar metadata I had to do folder by folder.

I'm worried that I may have missed some younger scanned images that way. Is there any way to find images with null ACDSee keywords please?

I keep my personal and work databases separate, so having tested the process on one I now need to do the other. If I catalog a folder structure is there any way to tell the db 'show me everything you've catalogued' in one view? That would make batching the keywords so much easier!

And when I created my test db I didn't give it a name. Can you rename databases and maybe move them somewhere more convenient. I don't like having valuable data in my Mac library, where only TimeMachine does backups. I prefer my 'documents' to be together in the part of my HD which is backed up to the cloud daily. After all this cataloging work, I really don't want to lose this data now!

Thanks for the support on this migration. FWIW I decided ACDSee did work for me as a Media Pro replacement so I have bought a licence.

Comment

Hi tsp1965,

Thank you for the reply.
              The folder tree is best suited for browsing your photos by their location on your filesystem. As you browse, ACDSee adds the files to its database in the background.
              Once the images are in the database, you can use the Organize pane (on the right-hand side) to retrieve the images based on certain criteria.

To simply see all the image in your database, in the Organize Pane's Special Items section, select Image Well. This returns all your cataloged images.
              Further, you can then filter to only show images without keywords: Above the file list, click the Filter button, then select "No Keywords".

Regarding database management, by default, ACDSee 5 creates and initially uses a database stored at the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/ACD Systems/ACDSee Photo Studio 5/Database/com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 (version 8.0).mediaDatabase

If you like, you can definitely move this to the location of your choice (and rename if you like, but please keep the .mediaDatabase extension).
              Then, use File > Database > Open... and select the database at its new location. ACDSee will now use this database instead of the default.

Regards,
              David

Comment

Working...
              X