ACDSee 6 wants to read my Camera Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee 6 wants to read my Camera Roll

And it keeps getting stuck doing so, not going past the message "Warning: ACDSee is preparing Camera Roll" or something similar, I've had to force quit it to stop.

I'm on v6.1.1536 with MacOS 10.15.3 (19D76).

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your feedback. May I ask some questions:

1) What are the steps that lead up to this message?
    2) Is this message in a dialog from ACDSee? Or is it from another application or the macOS system? Would it be possible to share a screenshot?

Regards,
    David

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2300.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	51878

David,
      It's an ACDsee message. All I have to do is start the program and after a short while it will ask me to unlock my iPhone and when I do, this message pops up and won't go away. It's been at this for almost 2 hours now. I can't do anything with ACDsee.

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the additional information and screenshot. I've reviewed this issue with our development team. May I ask some questions:

1) Using the native macOS app called "Image Capture.app", are you able to import from your iPhone?
        2) On your iPhone, do you have any app that you suspect may be creating that camera roll?

Regards,
        David

Comment

Hi David,
          No, the Image Capture.app on my Mac is not connected to anything, it sees no devices. I just checked to see if my iPhone was syncing at all with my Mac and I had to tell it (again) to trust it, going through several messages "Do you trust this device?" and entering in the password on my iPhone. The only app I could find that could sync with my phone was Dropbox, but it didn't call it "Camera Roll" and it was set to ask before importing. Just for giggles, I turned the import photos option off (It's annoying).
          I also check my phone to see if there was something, I'd forgotten Apple doesn't even call it Camera Roll anymore and the only app that does is Flickr, which is set to not auto upload. In fact, my iPhone is set to upload only to iCloud and not to my Mac.
          I used your support chat a few days ago and they suggested to un-install, reboot, and reinstall (Irish voice, "Hello, you've reached IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?" As well as being a photographer, I'm a storage SME for a major consulting firm, so yes, I tried turning it off and on again). I did this and it *seemed* to stop doing it until this morning when it started asking again until I Force Quit the app.
          In short, my Mac didn't even have permission to sync with or see my iPhone over a wire, let alone wirelessly as it was trying to do. Also, the only app on either that calls it "Camera Roll" was the Flickr app and it didn't have permission either.

Roger

Comment

David,
            I just restarted ACDSee and immediately the dialog popped up again, but this time the Import window opened. I was able to cancel out everything with out force quitting. My phone was listed under "Removable Devices" and under Preferences, Devices, Exclude removable devices from database was checked off. I would take it to mean that any removable device was excluded, but I've always seen my Time Machine drive there, so maybe it doesn't? If so, how do I tell it to completely exclude removable drives, etc?
            This does not explain how it was trying to wirelessly connect to my iPhone in the first place. I only used a Lightning cable just now to test it, so it shouldn't have even tried before.

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the additional info. Two more questions:

1) Based on the first two posts, I assumed your iPhone was connected to your Mac via cable. But was this all happening wirelessly?
              2) In the ACDSee Preferences "General" tab, there is an option to "show import dialog when a camera is connected". Is this box checked?

Regarding "excluding removable devices", this means that items on removable devices will not be added to the ACDSee database as you browse them. It doesn't mean they'll be completely excluded from appearing in the app. Currently, there's no way to completely prevent devices from appearing. Please also note that by design, items on camera devices (such as iPhones) will always be excluded from the database even if you uncheck the preference to always exclude removable devices. So I don't think this setting is related to this issue.

Regards,
              David

Comment

Hi Roger,

In order to understand the issue better, we may need to use a remote access tool such as screen sharing. I will create a support ticket and follow up.

Regards
                James

Comment

Working...
                X