Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Space Issue in View Mode with ProPhoto Color space and psd extention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Space Issue in View Mode with ProPhoto Color space and psd extention.

Hello,

I was hoping this issue would have been resolved in Version 6, but it hasn't. The issue is with a psd file saved with ProPhoto Color Space. In Mange Module the thumbnail of the photo has the correct color, but when I go into View Mode the colors are muted and less vibrant. It appears that once the image is enlarge in View Mode the color space changes. I'm not sure, but it must be that the color space rendering in view mode doe not accept ProPhoto color space. If I convert the color space to sRGB and jpeg, the image shows colors correctly. I've tried using Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanics to view the same photo and both program show the correct colors. Some how there is a mismatch in the View Color Space and the embedded color space in the image when it comes to ProPhoto.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for this report. I'm still not able to reproduce a situation where ACDSee's color display is different from Photoshop's while both applications display the same photo (the sample you provided) on the same monitor. May I ask the following:

1) To confirm, are you viewing both applications on the same monitor at the same time?
    2) What color display profile do you have set for this monitor (can be seen in System Preferences > Display > Color)?

I found I can make the color display of the sample image more muted by selecting a different color profile in System Preferences (e.g. Wide Gamut RGB), but for me, this affects both PS and ACDSee, not just ACDSee.

One suggestion: in ACDSee, please try selecting the thumbnail in Manage mode and run Tools > Metadata > Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata. This will re-generate the thumbnail.

Regards,
    David

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, I'm using both PS and ACSee on my 27-inch iMac late 2012. It has NVDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 built in Graphics card. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6. I calibrate my monitor with xrite iProfiler every month. I set both ACDSee and Photoshop to ProPhoto RGB 16 bit. I'll try your recommendation on the Thumbnail and get back to you.

Thanks for helping me on on this. Very much appreciated.

Dennis

Comment

Hi David,

Just wanted to get back to you on your recommendation on resetting the Thumbnail Metadata. I tried it on several photo thumbnail, but nothing changed. It's really funny that this all worked just find until the last update to version 5 and then carried over to version 6. Weird!

Thanks for all your help! I hope all this helps in finding the solution.

Dennis

Comment

Hi Dennis,

Do you have multiple monitors attached to your Mac?
          And if so, do they have different color profiles set in the System Preferences?

David

Comment

Hi David,

No, I don't use multiple monitors. Also, since I started this help message, I've purchase a new iMac and continuing to experiencing the same problem. So, the only thing I can see from this is my post processing in Photoshop is not compatible with ACDSee color workspace. To be honest ... I only use ACDSee for it's data system and culling my photos. I love the how it works and it works great for my workflow. It's when I go to the view module and my post processing saved as psd is flat and less saturated. Now, the saved jpg, is sRGB colorspace looks fine. I should also state that the thumbnail of the psd looks fine in the Management Module. All my psd files are saved as ProPhoto and 16bit. Also, the graphic processor in my new iMac is a Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. In my old iMac is was an Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 512 MB. But the same flat less saturation still happens.

Hope all this helps! By the way I still use it as my database system and culling. I just can't compare post processing changes or evaluate a psd file.

Thanks,

Dennis

Comment

Hi David,

Update!!!! There are two things that I think had given me the problem. I found this out when I upgraded my iMac to the new 27in 2019 5K with much better graphic card. The problem I was having is now gone! Both the jpeg and psd files look the same in View Mode. Also, while I was calibrating my new iMac with my iDisplay Pro, I notice it was not being recognized some times. Further investigation I discovered that there was a problem with the cable connected to the iDisplay Pro. So, I purchased a new one and re-calibrated my iMac. With both of these combined ... the color problem is gone!! I appreciate all your efforts to help me solve this issue, but it was not the application it was my computer and calibration.

Thanks and you can close this subject!

Dennis

Comment

HI Dennis,

Really happy to hear this and I appreciate the update!

Regards,
                David

Comment

Working...
                X