Crashes all the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashes all the time.

ACDsee has become close to useless to me now. In Manage Mode most of the folders have inappropriate images associated with them or simple show a folder icon without an image inside.. When I click on one of these folders ACDSee simple exits without an error message.

I now have access to almost none of my images through ACDSee.

I've seen many threads on ACDSee crashing, but none are relevant to my situation.

I'd hate to have to go back to Lightroom, but at the moment I can see no alternative.

Hi stolzy,

Thank you for your feedback. May I ask for more detail about this issue?

1) You mention a message appears. What does the message say?
    2) You mention ACDSee exits when you click on the folder. Does the system pop-up a dialog with the crash report?
    3) Where are your images located? For example, on the local volume, or a removable volume, or network, etc?

Regards,
    David

Comment

I regularly try ACDSee for Mac new editions to see if it can replace LR ; I began yesterday and it has crashed several times already. The app just quits, no message (This time I was selecting an external editor)
      My system : 10.14.6 on a 2017 iMac 16G RAM

Comment

Hi Chris29,

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this issue. Unfortunately, it occurs on macOS 10.14 when opening a Finder window (such as the one to pick the External Editor) from within ACDSee.
        Per review with the development team, it is an Apple bug and we reported it to Apple last year, but we're still waiting for a response.
        This bug does not occur on macOS 10.15 but I recognize that upgrading the OS may not be a solution for everyone.

Best regards,
        David

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Hi stolzy,

Thank you for your feedback. May I ask for more detail about this issue?

1) You mention a message appears. What does the message say?
          2) You mention ACDSee exits when you click on the folder. Does the system pop-up a dialog with the crash report?
          3) Where are your images located? For example, on the local volume, or a removable volume, or network, etc?

Regards,
          David
          1) Actually, I said no message appears, it just crashes.
          2) No dialogue, ACDSee just quits peremptorily.
          3) Local Volume

The key appears to be that the folder image is not one that is in that folder. All mis-labelled folder crash ACDSee

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Hi Chris29,

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this issue. Unfortunately, it occurs on macOS 10.14 when opening a Finder window (such as the one to pick the External Editor) from within ACDSee.
            Per review with the development team, it is an Apple bug and we reported it to Apple last year, but we're still waiting for a response.
            This bug does not occur on macOS 10.15 but I recognize that upgrading the OS may not be a solution for everyone.

Best regards,
            David
            I don't think this is relevant to my OP. it is quite clearly a problem with ACDSee. The diagnostic being that folders that will crash it always have an inappropriate image associated with them. Clearly a database problem.

Comment

I am running macOS Catalina version 10.15.4 and have experienced the occasional crash for no apparent reason. However, this morning I received notice of an update that included a note it is addressing a crash problem. I installed the update, and so far no crashes.

Comment

I'm still struggling with this. I can reliably crash ACDSee by clicking on a folder that has an inappropriate image associated with it.

So, for example, I'm looking at a folder /Images/Travel/Santorini which has a number of folders within. Each of the folder icons has an image in it which is nothing to do with the contents of the folder. If I click on any of these icons ACDSee always quits without message or explanation.

This is true for a large number of subfolders thus rendering their contents inaccessible to ACDSee. These folders are easily accessible to Finder and other software, so the problem is clearly the fault of ACDSee.

I'm getting to the point where ACDSee is more of a liability than an asset.
                Last edited by stolzy; 06-10-2020, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Anybody have a clue?

Comment

Wonder what would happen if you single clicked the folder, then organise->keywords assign a temp keyword (so all images in the folder are assigned) then under catalog->Keywords select that keyword to display all of the images and then select tools->rebuild metadata and thumbnails. Did it let you do this or crash?
                    Steve

Comment

I would also try tools-metadata-embed acdsee metadata to ensure all up to date then shut down acdsee. GO to one of the folders, take the images out and place them i a brand new folder. The re-start AcDsee and see if the new folder works or is the same. If it works you have a workaround albeit clunky and time consuming
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MrSteveVee View Post
                        Wonder what would happen if you single clicked the folder, then organise->keywords assign a temp keyword (so all images in the folder are assigned) then under catalog->Keywords select that keyword to display all of the images and then select tools->rebuild metadata and thumbnails. Did it let you do this or crash?
                        Steve
                        Thanks for chipping in, but there is no menu item for 'Organise' or 'Tools>Rebuild metadata and thumbnails. Help doesn't recognise these terms either.

Originally posted by MrSteveVee View Post
                        I would also try tools-metadata-embed acdsee metadata to ensure all up to date then shut down acdsee. GO to one of the folders, take the images out and place them i a brand new folder. The re-start AcDsee and see if the new folder works or is the same. If it works you have a workaround albeit clunky and time consuming
                        Steve
                        Likewise 'tools-metadata-embed acdsee metadata'.

Interestingly, after I restart ACDSee, the folder which cause it to crash last time is likely to have an appropriate image in the folder icon and the folder can then be opened OK. Problem is that there will then be another, different folder with an inappropriate image in the icon which will cause ACDSee to crash/quit.

Comment

Ahh ok, I have the Windows version and didn't realise that they were so different so I best keep quiet methinks. Hope you get it sussed quick
                          Steve

Comment

Hi stolzy,

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry to hear you're having these troubles.

As a first troubleshooting step, could you try switching to a new database (via File > Database > New...) and then browsing to the folder that is causing the problem.
                            This will help us narrow down the issue. Note this will not affect your current database, and you can switch back to your current database at any time via File > Database > Open...

Regards,
                            David

Comment

Working...
                            X