Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort, Map, and Rename bugs

Hello,

First off, regardless of the outstanding issues, Photo Studio 6 is the first version of ACDSee for Mac that is actually worth purchasing. It took a long time to get here but it is now over the hump and will hopefully finally be able to catch up to the Windows version.

A couple of issues I am encountering. First, with my Sort set to Sort by Date Taken, this is hardly ever the case. I just opened ACDSee and went to the last folder I was working on and there were a bunch of pictures in absolutely non-sensical order. As no photos were added in the meantime, I have no clue how this happened. Even re-sorting often doesn't work until I do it it 2-3 times, then it finally works.

The second bug has to do with Batch renaming. I have a series of fields to rename in a consistent way (Country Code-Date-City, etc.) and when I batch rename files, a bunch of them do not rename correctly. They are often missing the Country Code and City, although those fields are correct in the properties and most of the files rename correctly. It simply will not work until I close the application and re-open it, and then it works fine. Seemingly every time I open the application I find photos that were not renamed correctly that I had not noticed.

The last bug(s) relate to Maps. My first question is why there is such limited detail compared to the regular Maps application (either Apple Maps or Google, not sure which one. I often have to open the separate application on my Mac to really confirm the position where I want to geotag a photo as even fully zoomed, the map within ACDSee is missing to much detail, Last but not least, photos that are geotagged oven do not show up on the map with the yellow symbol, or initially show the yellow symbol in the wrong location until I zoom closer. To get it to work, I often have to click off to a another photo, to generate the yellow symbol, and then go back to the original photo, where the yellow symbol finally shows up. Sometimes the map simply freezes and I need to close the application completely and reopen it to get it to work.

One annoying thing on the Map is when I select "Show on Map" it zooms so far out that I just have to zoom back in to see the location. It might be an idea that Show on Map keeps the level of zoom at which the Map is already at and doesn't automatically zoom out.

Are any of these bugs known already?
    Last edited by Stuessi; 07-26-2020, 01:01 PM.

Hi Stuessi,

Thank you for the feedback.

Originally posted by Stuessi View Post
    First, with my Sort set to Sort by Date Taken, this is hardly ever the case. I just opened ACDSee and went to the last folder I was working on and there were a bunch of pictures in absolutely non-sensical order. As no photos were added in the meantime, I have no clue how this happened. Even re-sorting often doesn't work until I do it it 2-3 times, then it finally works.
    For performance reasons, ACDSee isn't able to sort uncataloged images by Date Taken. Instead, uncataloged images will be sorted by name. Cataloging occurs automatically in the background and, when active, is indicated by the progress bar in the bottom-right corner of the app. Once cataloging is complete, sorting by date taken should work. Is it possible that cataloging was still in progress on the first few attempts and this is what cause the unexpected sort order?

The second bug has to do with Batch renaming. I have a series of fields to rename in a consistent way (Country Code-Date-City, etc.) and when I batch rename files, a bunch of them do not rename correctly. They are often missing the Country Code and City, although those fields are correct in the properties and most of the files rename correctly. It simply will not work until I close the application and re-open it, and then it works fine. Seemingly every time I open the application I find photos that were not renamed correctly that I had not noticed.
    The cause of this issue may be the same as the Sort issue. If the file you're trying to rename is uncataloged, then the Batch Rename tool will not be able to read the Country Code, Date, etc.
    Please confirm if the file is cataloged (if there's no active progress bar in the bottom-right corner of the app, then it's cataloged).

The last bug(s) relate to Maps. My first question is why there is such limited detail compared to the regular Maps application (either Apple Maps or Google, not sure which one. I often have to open the separate application on my Mac to really confirm the position where I want to geotag a photo as even fully zoomed, the map within ACDSee is missing to much detail, Last but not least, photos that are geotagged oven do not show up on the map with the yellow symbol, or initially show the yellow symbol in the wrong location until I zoom closer. To get it to work, I often have to click off to a another photo, to generate the yellow symbol, and then go back to the original photo, where the yellow symbol finally shows up. Sometimes the map simply freezes and I need to close the application completely and reopen it to get it to work.

One annoying thing on the Map is when I select "Show on Map" it zooms so far out that I just have to zoom back in to see the location. It might be an idea that Show on Map keeps the level of zoom at which the Map is already at and doesn't automatically zoom out.
    ACDSee Mac uses Apple Maps. Specifically, which details are missing that you would like to see? Note in ACDSee Mac's Satellite Map view, you can Show Labels via the dropdown in the top-left corner of the Map (by default, they're off). Regarding the pin color issue, I confirm this is a bug. This has been logged in our internal bug tracking system. Regarding the zoom level when you show on map, I've entered your suggestion as a feature request. I will review both these issues with the product team.

Regards,
    David

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. The Renaming issue is something else. I previously added City and Country and those files have long been cataloged. I am now going back and adding sub-locations. When I then to a batch rename, the files where I did NOT add a sublocation rename correctly. For the files where I add a sublocation, the rename is not correct and strangely uses the sublocation in the rename but doesn't include the country nor city, where those are added correctly to files where I did not add a sublocation.

For the Maps view, the lack of detail is clearly Apple Maps vs. Google Maps, but at least it is clear where the problem is coming from.

Comment

Hi Stuessi,

Thanks for your reply. I've investigated this issue and I confirm it's exactly as you describe.
        I confirm this is not a data loss issue. The values are always in the database and/or file as expected. And I note as a workaround, restarting the app resolves the issue.
        This issue has been logged in our internal bug tracking system and I will review with the product team.

Best regards,
        David

Comment

Working...
        X