• Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac 7 now available

Hi,

ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac 7 is now available and can be downloaded here:

https://www.acdsee.com/en/products/p...mac/thank-you/

Best regards,
    The ACDSee team

With respect, I have to question the value of this upgrade. At $60 US, discounted for customers like us who have patiently worked through various flawed iterations, reporting bugs along the way, it is only an upgrade to a software that is still emerging. It's my understanding that it remains less functional than the PC version. Meanwhile, a new customer can buy Affinity Photo for $70 CAD (don't know the US price), which is far more capable. As an Affinity user, the current upgrade is free. In my view, the only thing ACDSee has that Affinity does not is its very useful browser, but that's expensive just for a browser. It makes it difficult to keep supporting ACDSee in hopes it will mature into something more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Whittington View Post
      With respect, I have to question the value of this upgrade. At $60 US, discounted for customers like us who have patiently worked through various flawed iterations, reporting bugs along the way, it is only an upgrade to a software that is still emerging. It's my understanding that it remains less functional than the PC version. Meanwhile, a new customer can buy Affinity Photo for $70 CAD (don't know the US price), which is far more capable. As an Affinity user, the current upgrade is free. In my view, the only thing ACDSee has that Affinity does not is its very useful browser, but that's expensive just for a browser. It makes it difficult to keep supporting ACDSee in hopes it will mature into something more competitive.
      The upgrade is $49..wooohooo...and Affinity as far as I can tell is not an Asset Manager especially one that works with native files directly. Having said all that ACD is still missing a lot of equivalent functions and capability. Not being able to time tag pictures earlier than 1900 is one of the issues that has been requested for over 6 years; it seems the developers are clueless as to how to implement this. No one else seems to have this problem.
      Last edited by LeChiffre; 11-19-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Hello ACDSoft team (or do we go by ACDSee these days?)

I’m a long-time user - going back to Windows v2.x days. These days my use is focussed on the mac ecosystem and so have been using v3.x / v4.x until recently. Like LeChiffre (and it appears, Bruce Whittington) I’ve suffered frequent crashes of the product, reported in this forum at least once, which the support team haven’t been able to assist in troubleshooting.

On 2020-10-19 I took up your offer of discounted purchase of ACDSee Photo Studio for mac v6, and then yesterday - exactly a month later - received your email notification of the release of v7, offering an upgrade at a cost of US$59.99. Logging into my account portal today I note that I’m offered to upgrade any of my v3 / v4 / v6 licenses at a cost of US$49.95 each.

A question then please - why am I having to pay for an upgrade within a month after I purchased your then-latest v6 product version (should the upgrade not be free?), and what is the actual price you’re looking to charge for the upgrade?

Tosis
        Last edited by Tosis; 11-20-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

It seems that release v7 still dont have the import of keywords/categories - Adobe Lightroom

Comment

New Features
            • Develop Brush and Gradient tools
            • Develop mode Clone and Heal Repair tools
            Improvements
            • Organize pane GUI improvements
            • Added an “Add to Image Basket” button in Manage and View mode
            • Added Undo and Redo buttons to the Develop Tools pane
            Mainly here for asset management.

https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/ph...ase-notes/7-0/

Comment

Hi gertmad,

Originally posted by gertmad View Post
              It seems that release v7 still dont have the import of keywords/categories - Adobe Lightroom
              Import Keywords feature is available via Tools > Metadata > Import Keywords...
              This feature was added in v6.

Regards,
              David

Comment

It didn't solve any of my problems

Comment

I have been waiting since version 1 to see if this version is productive....Always finding terrible bugs within first 1-2 minutes.

Not compatible with existing edited pictures on windows:
                  - labels mixed up. They show in different colors. Ok, not that bad. just embarrassing
                  - any edits will not be recognized once you enter develop mode. So if you want to adjust any developed picture you have to start from scratch. Bummer. Disqualified for me.

Well, it took several years to implement somewhat the functions of the windows version. I dunno if they have just one programmer on that project working in his spare time. It seems to me like that.

Comment

I have tested Mylio to see if it is an alternative to ACDSee. Not yet for me. A strange yet interesting concept. But the UI and speed of editing is great on ALL platforms. It still misses many functions like PNG watermarking. But well, ACDSee's watermarking has been so buggy for 15 years...lol. They seem not to ever use their own software.

Comment

Hi Kaisa,

Thank you for your feedback.

Originally posted by kaisa View Post
                      - labels mixed up. They show in different colors.
                      Could you describe the issue you're seeing in more detail? Note that the label color shown on the thumbnail depends on the currently active label set. If you're finding that labels appear in a cyan color, it means the label assigned to the photo doesn't match any of the labels in the currently active label set.

Originally posted by kaisa View Post
                      - any edits will not be recognized once you enter develop mode. So if you want to adjust any developed picture you have to start from scratch. Bummer. Disqualified for me.
                      One possible solution is to save the edited photo as a new file, then work with the newly saved file in Develop mode.

Regards,
                      David

Comment

Hi David,

ACDSee's excellent YouTube presentation of Photo Studio for Mac 7 by Adam (at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxjIbGXALIs&t=318s ) as well as the one from Jim Nik (at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF_t5e36IFg&t=644s ) really convinced me to upgrade from v6...

I'm SO glad I did! The program is as speedy as v6 was if not more (the View Mode in full view is very fast, compared to all my other PP software), it also seems to run smoothly; I especially find the new Gradient and Repair tools very worthwhile. Thanks for the almighty Undo & Redo buttons, and for all other subtle improvements in the Manage mode that I have yet to discover.

Among possible features to improve, the ability to quickly Copy / Duplicate an original image in the 'Develop' Mode (not only in 'Manage' or 'View' modes) would greatly expand the External Editors functionality of ACDSee. From the ‘External Editors’ button, for instance, a simple choice between “Edit in...” or “Edit a Copy in...” (Nik, Exposure, DxO, etc.) could be such a shortcut.

I’m also wondering why a ‘Refresh’ command via keyboard still remains necessary from time to time (i.e. after changes have been made to the computer's files, more precisely after a round trip with an external editor!), instead of a seamless renewing of thumbnail pics running in the background.

In any case, from my first encounter with ACDSee for Mac v5 and then v6 to this latest 7th edition, I am very happy with the product: it's fast, more and more intuitive, more and more stable, simple yet powerful, and evolving nicely overall.
                        Last edited by Marathonianbull; 04-05-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Marathonianbull,

Thank you for the kind feedback.

I noted your request about adding the ability to edit a copy of the original image via External Editors in your other thread, and I've raised a feature request with the product team.
                          Regarding the need to manually Refresh after editing externally, this has been logged in our internal bug tracking system and I will review with the product team. To confirm, is your photo located outside your local volume (for example, on a shared network volume or a removable drive)?

Regards,
                          David

Comment

Working...
                          X