Keywords have disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keywords have disappeared

I have had the ACDSee software for Mac for awhile and when I returned to the organizing panel after not using the software for several months, all of the keywords were missing. Since I spent a substantial amount of time generating the keywords, I ask if there is a recovery of the keywords?

Hi rdavidson3,

Thank you for your feedback.

1) Please confirm the keywords section is expanded by clicking the Keywords section header in the Organize pane.
    2) ACDSee keywords are stored in the database. Is it possible that the database that contains your keywords was somehow moved, deleted, emptied, or otherwise affected? The location of the default database for ACDSee Mac 7 is ~/Library/Application Support/ACD Systems/ACDSee Photo Studio 7/Database
    3) ACDSee supports multiple databases. Have you ever created a second database (e.g. via File > Database > New...)?

Regards,
    David

Comment

David, thank you for your response.
      My Key word section is expanded. and in fact I have started the process of recreating passwords. I do not think I did anything to delete any keywords since I have not worked with the software for several months before noting the missing keywords. On the tab under tools for Database, wouldn't "open recent database" show prior database if one existed? It shows no recent prior database, If somehow it was deleted completely, would there be any record leading to that indication? Would it still be shown in the library?

Comment

Hi rdavidson3,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you had created multiple databases then it would list the prior database, so I don't think this was the cause.
        If the database was somehow no longer present at the original location, ACDSee would just create a fresh database on next launch.

I would recommend restoring the database from backup if you have one.
        ACDSee provides the ability to backup and restore the database so it's good to do periodically (via Tools > Backup Database...).
        ACDSee also allows you to import and export keyword lists. This is also a reliable way to backup just your keyword list (via Tools > Metadata > Export Keywords...) without having to make a backup of the whole database.

Regards,
        David

Comment

David, thank you for your reply. Would the Database be restored from the Library you cited earlier?
          Could this loss of data be caused when changing the data from being retained in the software to being retained on each separate image file? Also, I believe one of my drives was not attached to my computer when I turned on my computer several weeks ago and used the ACDSee software. Are you saying that if the Database was on that drive the software would insert a blank Database into the software thereafter?

Comment

Originally posted by rdavidson3 View Post
            Are you saying that if the Database was on that drive the software would insert a blank Database into the software thereafter?
            If the ACDSee database is on a removable drive but that drive is not attached when you launch, then ACDSee falls back to using the database at the default location. There's no data loss in this case since the database on the removable drive is untouched.

Is it possible your keywords were added to the database on the removable drive but ACDSee is currently using the default database?
            If so, you should be able to see the keywords again if you attach the removable drive and re-launch ACDSee (or by opening that database via File > Database > Open...).

Regards,
            David

Comment

David, thank you again for your help. I have spent more time learning about this app and just discovered something which may solve the problem I have had. I went back and found the prior version 6 of the software in my Applications and there were the prior Keywords. Apparently when I updated the software and all my files were shown I assumed that the data used in version 6 would also be adopted in version 7. With version 7 I had started to re-create keywords. Is there an easy way to bring over the old keywords from version 6 and integrate them back into the new list in version 7?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. If you only need the keyword list, then you could export the keyword list in version 6 (via Tools > Metadata > Export Keywords...) and then import to version 7 (via Tools > Metadata > Import Keywords...). This will integrate your v6 list with your v7 list in the Organize pane. However, if you had also assigned keywords to your photos in v6, this method does not import those assignments to v7. It just imports the list. Please let me know if you also need keyword assignments from version 6.

Regards,
                David

Comment

David, thanks again for your help. To answer your question above, The Keywords in my version 6 were all matched with photos. I was hoping to merge these into version 7 and bring them with the image connection. The images in both versions

Comment

David, as a final question to get me to a full set of merged key words previously attached to my images from my original Version 6 with my attached key words in version 7 to give a version 7 with all the active keywords from both versions. Both versions have the same images.

Comment

The associations between the keywords and your photos are stored in the database, so if you did that work in version 6, but you are now using v7, it's best to convert your version 6 database to version 7.
                      However, please be aware that doing this will overwrite your current version 7 database. Unfortunately, ACDSee cannot merge two databases together, no matter how similar they are. If this is ok for you, the steps are as follows:

1. In version 7, Tools > Restore Database...
                      2. Browse to your version 6 database (the default location is ~/Library/Application Support/ACD Systems/ACDSee Photo Studio 6/Database), then click Restore.

Regards,
                      David

Comment

Thank you David.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in here. I have experienced a similar thing with Photo Studio 7 for mac on a MacBook Pro running 11.5.2. IPTC keywords stopped being displayed today. They are still searchable, but are not shown in "view" or any other mode. I tried reinstalling, rebooting mac, reoptimising database etc, but no luck. My image folder contains about 40,000 microscope images of marine animals and I am frequently adding to it using a camera tethered to the computer and manually entering IPTC keywords as the images are taken. This is very problematic! Had my copy of photo studio 6 still installed ond the mac and that seems to work and display the metadata as it should. How can I get Photo Studio 7 back on track?

Comment

Just to report that the issue was resolved after deleting corrupted .plst files in the user library on the MacBook as suggested by [email protected]. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X