Editing EXIF information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing EXIF information

I'm presuming this is possible, the manual appears to imply such, but nothing appears to be editable.

In particular I want to edit information about the lens. Do I need a separate application to be able to do that?

I only know I can change the EXIF timestamps, but nothing else. If I am not wrong, most people use EXIFTOOL to do such changes. Link to the tool is as below. It is quite complicated to use, but normally google search will provide sample commands that can be used with minor changes. The tool runs much faster (probably more than 10 times) than ACDSee.
    https://exiftool.org/

Comment

Originally posted by stolzy View Post
      I'm presuming this is possible, the manual appears to imply such, but nothing appears to be editable.

In particular I want to edit information about the lens. Do I need a separate application to be able to do that?
      I assume you want to do this because you are using a lens that the camera is not recognizing correctly in its Exif metadata.

You would need to use a utility such as ExifTool, I understand there is a Mac OS version available.

Note that the lens information can be held in multiple metadata fields. In a Sony SLT-A57 RAW image for instance the actual lens details can be found in the following tags
      [ExitIFD] Lens Info: 18-135mm F3.5-5.6
      [ExifIFD] Lens Model: DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
      [Sony] Lens Type: Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM (SAL18135) found in 2 places
      [Sony] Lens Spec: DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
      [Sony] Lens Spec Features DT SAM
      [Composite] Lens ID: Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM (SAL18135)

Also note that if the RAW file has an associated xmp sidecar file, it is likely that the Lens Type also appears in that.

Altering some but not all may cause confusion at a later date.

Comment

Thanks for that chaps, much as I thought.

I'm using a number of vintage lenses and obviously they don't send any information to the camera.

Comment

Working...
        X