Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

​A Nerve-Racking Bug: ACDSee for Mac, systematically crashing in "MANAGE MODE", IF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​A Nerve-Racking Bug: ACDSee for Mac, systematically crashing in "MANAGE MODE", IF...

​Hi David and Support Team!

I have been experiencing SEVERAL CRASHES in the last few days (some reported to Apple), and given my very dear attachment to ACDSee's fantastic output (and recent purchase!), I REALLY WANT to help you guys out as much as possible.

So here's our unlucky scenario, which systematically makes ACDSee Photo Studio 5 (Built 5.2.1151) for Mac OS (10.14.4) close instantly:

In MANAGE MODE, the application ALWAYS CRASHES...

- > IF CLICKING OVER ANY THUMBNAIL OF 'ALIEN SKIN EXPOSURE X4' (PROPHOTO RBG or sRGB) JPEG; &
    - > IF, WHILE DOING THE ABOVE, THE "PROPERTIES" PANEL IS/WAS SET TO DISPLAY "EXIF" Info (no problem at all with "ACDSee Metadata", "File", "IPTC", etc., mind you!)

- - -

Update:

Ok, I have found out that the crashes with Alien Skin files only occur for hybrid files (NOT pure Alien Skin files). If a file had been opened with ACDSee first, then modified VIA its External Editor feature (here Alien Skin Exposure X4), then saved again, well that file will make ACDSee crash. All my other 'plain' Exposure X4 files appear to show EXIF normally and won't make ACDSee crash in manage mode.

Sorry for the stress, I should be able to avoid using such intricate pathways!

Daniel
    Last edited by Marathonianbull; 04-02-2019, 11:48 AM.

Hi Marathonianbull,

Thank you for the feedback. I've tried to reproduce the issues you described but had no luck. May I ask the following:

1) Could you provide a step-by-step guide to reproduce the crash, including the steps in both ACDSee and Alien Skin Exposure X4?
    2) Could you provide the Problem Report that appears after the crash?

Thank you,
    David

Comment

David & any other concerned reader, good news!

This was perhaps a false alert (or the opposite of Murphy's Law), since no matter how hard I try it now seems that I can't replicate that precise experience of frequent crashes with foreign files. From ACDSee Photo Studio 5 (Built 5.2.1151) for Mac OS (10.14.4), to Alien Skin Exposure X4 via ACDSee's External Editor, everything runs smoothly (!?) Mind you, I have been doing the following: 1) ACDSee JPEG, no mod at all in Dev mod -> 2) Out to Exposure X4, dev galore and saved -> Automatically back to ACDSee's interface, added Light EQ then saved.

I think that last time (multiple crashes), my problem occured after having performed something similar with a RAW file - not a JPEG file. Must do more testing, but today everything seems fine.

Thank you David, will keep you informed. Any future Problem Report pertaining to this matter (or any other) will be copied and sent to you directly at [email protected]

Comment

Hi David,

It just happened, again and again… From Alien Skin Exposure X4, exported a modified RAW into JPEG while ACDSee was opened (reading same folder). After the export was completed, still in X4, ACDSee crashed on its own right away.

Reopened ACDSee, and guess what! NOW, each time I click on this newly created (Alien Skin Exposure X4, ORF RAW to JPEG exported) file, ACDSee crashes immediately IF in MANAGE MODE - 'PROPERTIES' PANEL SET TO EXIF.

(I would need your email in order to send my whole Problem Report.)

- - -

Process: ACDSee Photo Studio 5 [1002]
        Path: /Applications/ACDSEE/ACDSee Photo Studio 5.app/Contents/MacOS/ACDSee Photo Studio 5
        Identifier: com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5
        Version: 5.2 (1151)
        Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
        Parent Process: ??? [1]
        Responsible: ACDSee Photo Studio 5 [1002]
        User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2019-04-10 10:04:53.465 -0400
        OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.4 (18E226)
        Report Version: 12
        Anonymous UUID: D31C841C-A7B6-F41C-C67A-7CBE8931D853

Time Awake Since Boot: 7500 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
        Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
        Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
        [1002] stack overflow

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
        0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff748a12c6 __pthread_kill + 10
        1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff74956bf1 pthread_kill + 284
        2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff7480b745 __abort + 144
        3 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff7480bff3 __stack_chk_fail + 205
        4 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010cbe6d00 +[MetadataConverterImp to_CFAPattern:] + 944
        5 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010cbe9b35 -[MetadataConverterBridge toUI:inContext:] + 213
        6 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010cc0e1a0 -[MetadataProvider doUpdate:itemsWithProfile:changedEditableStatus:] + 4752
        7 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010cc0ec06 -[MetadataProvider updateWithItems:newItems:] + 886
        8 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010ca87fae -[MetadataPanel reloadItemsMetadata:] + 286
        9 com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio5 0x000000010ca88a2e -[MetadataPanel handleBrowsingSelectionNotifications:] + 1934
        10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48355af6 __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERV ER__ + 12
        11 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48355a70 ___CFXRegistrationPost_block_invoke + 63
        12 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff483559da _CFXRegistrationPost + 404
        13 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff4835de88 ___CFXNotificationPost_block_invoke + 87
        etc.
        Last edited by Marathonianbull; 04-10-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

David,

One last thing. I have taken a random (ORF) RAW file and transformed it into JPEG with both "Alien Skin Exposure X4" and "Slkypix Dev Studio Pro 9". Then, after having launched my ACDSee program in Manage Mode showing thumbnails of the three aforementioend files (ORF, X4, Silky), ACDSee would only crash when clicking on the Alien Skin X4 thumbnail (If Properties panel at EXIF)...

I think I've found the culprit! Something to do with exported RAW files from Alien Skin X4 (and as previously tested, no problem with pure JPEG files simply modified by Alien Skin X4; in order to make ACDSee crash, it must have been a RAW-to-JPEG transformation.)

(Sorry for the vague terms, I'm not a programmer ; )
          Last edited by Marathonianbull; 04-10-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for this additional info.
            I confirm your findings and can now consistently reproduce the crash as you describe using samples from Olympus cameras.
            This issue has been logged in our internal bug tracking system and I've followed up with the development team for investigation.

Best regards,
            David

Comment

That was quick!!

Thank you, David, for keeping such a watchful eye on a wonderful program; the future of ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac can only get even brighter ; )

Daniel
              Last edited by Marathonianbull; 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to let you know a fix for this issue will be included in our upcoming ACDSee Mac 5.3 update.
                The update is scheduled to be released in September and will be free for existing ACDSee Mac 5 users.
                Thanks again for your assistance.

Best regards,
                David

Comment

Working...
                X