Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEADS UP: Apple MacOS Catalina - Beta makes ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac unusable!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEADS UP: Apple MacOS Catalina - Beta makes ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac unusable!!

I have worked with Apple in the past testing their new BETA versions of their MacOS and other apps. I just installed MacOS Catalina - Beta and one of the first major issues I noticed was that Aperture no longer works with this new Operating System. But WORSE, ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac does not work with it either. I just reported this to Apple (using the "back-door" I can use to reach their developers). But of course, we do not know how long it will take them to fix the major issue, which is:

When you open a picture in ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac and apply some minor modifications, and then try to move to the next picture in the same folder, ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac crashes.

...just wanted to warn you all.

I did a lot more testing on this and believe it is ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac which is not compatible with Apple MacOS Catalina and needs to be fixed urgently, not the other way 'round. The reasons for my believe are:
    • Every application I have on my MacAir works fine under Apple MacOS Catalina, except for an older version of "TechSmith Snagit" which shows some quirky behaviour, Aperture which Apple mentions as "non-compatible with the new OS, and ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac, which simply crashes when ever I apply any kind of adjustment to a picture and then try to move on to another picture or simply save the adjustment.
    • I tried a bunch of photo related applications such as an old Photoshop Elements, PhotoSweeper (duplicate finder), Snapheal CK, etc. and all of these work fine under MacOS Catalina.
    I do hope the ACDSee Development Team can figure out what the issue is, and create a fix as soon as possible. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, it is bad news that Aperture no longer works (we knew this was coming) and just at this point in time ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac lets us down

Comment

Here we go again...ACD not compatible with new OS. When will this stop..?
      No 32 Bit app will work with Catalina but isn't Studio 5 a 64 bit app? And then there may be other reasons ....who knows..apparently not ACD.

Comment

Can anyone among the ACDSee team tell me what ACDSee is planning to do about this? Now that some of us have to move completely away from Aperture, it would be nice to know whether ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac is indeed an alternative. I hate to move my thousands of pictures to Photo Studio 5 only to find out that it will not work under the new MacOS.
        Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I just returned from a vacation.

ACD Systems is committed to supporting ACDSee Mac on a released version of macOS.
          The product team has been testing ACDSee Mac 5 on 10.15 Betas. We've identified several problems and development is now investigating those issues.

macOS Catalina (10.15) is currently in Beta and ACD does not guarantee how ACDSee will run/operate on a Beta. From experience, some problems found in ACDSee Mac on a macOS Beta get fixed in a subsequent Beta release from Apple.

Regards,
          Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,
            thanks for the response. I realize that a BETA is just that and it usually entails "no guarantee of perfectly working"... My concern is more about the future and the day when MacOS Catalina becomes the real thing. As you can see, my very initial message to this post was to mostly make the development team aware of the problems. But of course, since I do run the BETA to help Apple find bugs, it would be nice if I could still use ACDSee for Mac as it is becoming my primary Photo organizer, editor, etc.

Thanks for all the help you and your team can provide.

Comment

Hello Mark,
              you will be happy to know that Apple came out with a new, full release of macOS Catalina. This version they call 10.15 Beta (19A512f). And it no longer crashes ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac. I will do some more testing to see if there are still some bugs and report them both to Apple (at least the major ones) and to ACDSee on this forum.

Just cross your fingers and we may have an Aperture replacement yet.

Comment

ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac is crashing again .... at least when I use the "White Balance" edit on a picture and then try to save it.

Comment

Cosgrove is correct saying ACD does not guarantee the app works on Mac Betas. No developer in their right mind does and I'm pretty sure ACD is on top of the Beta progress having learned (hopefully) from the past.
                  It's frustrating however to see that ACD is always in a catch up mode. I've dropped using Studio 5 and will probably not start using it until maybe Studio 8. I'm done funding a beta app.
                  Last edited by LeChiffre; 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

LeChiffre,
                    as I said earlier, I do get the concept of "BETA" and its restrictions and limitations. HOWEVER, Given that I have a large number of picture processing applications, some of which are quite old (such as Aurora HDR, Digital Camera Utility 5 by Pentax, etc) , and most of them still run under MacOS Catalina BETA, this tells me that it is possible to build applications which can run, even under a BETA OS. Interestingly enough, the key applications which do not run under Catalina are Apple and Google apps, such as Aperture, Picasa, and iPhoto. Of course, Apple announced a while back that they will no longer support Aperture and iPhoto as they have their new baby called Photos.
                    Tahunga

Comment

Tahunga
                      You're correct but I've been with ACD since V1 almost 8 years ago and there has not been one single version that has: 1. kept up with the Mac OS and 2. has not been in some sort of beta mode. V1 was $170 and was touted as the best thing since sliced bread and ACD got Apple to stock it on their store shelves. That lasted about 2 months when it turned into a disaster and it has been downhill since then. Every new 'version' costs another chunk of change and those of us that have stayed with ACD have probably spent upwards of $700 already in the hope that this next version will be anywhere near par with similar products out there. There is still not a full featured version and probably will not be until as I'm just guessing V8. I'm not spending one more $ to help ACD mature this app. Just not worth the frustration.

Comment

Hi all,

I have posted this in the Product Discussion forum as well, but please be aware that ACDSee Mac 5 does not run on macOS 10.15 Developer beta 6 (19A536g), which was released by Apple on August 19.
                        ACD Systems is committed to supporting the latest official releases of macOS and we will release a free update to ACDSee Mac 5 to coincide with the official release of macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Regards,
                        David

Comment

I know it's always a risk to be on a Beta program for any OS so I have to take it on the chin this time however I have missed a number of apps since I recklessly updated to MacOS 10.15 but mostly I miss ACDSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac. I was lured in to a false sense of security with the last three MacOS beta iterations having no major issues. Lesson learnt: Do not update to an OS beta version on your one and only machine if you have important work to do. Hopefully it won't be long now. At least this thread answers my question as to when / if ADCSee Photo Studio 5 for Mac will be compatible with MacOS 10.15, thank you

Comment

Well folks, all this talk is based on 10.15 betas, that's fine. But Catalina is being released in one month...mid October or so. Given that, will V5 be working on it by then? and what about V6 which was ...sort of...promised this September. ACD seems to be flailing in the wind again with the next OS. Every other app I use..about 45 of them have already updated to Catalina. Just what is wrong with this company. You get your stuff working on the current version and it's as if they never knew the next OS is coming. Suggest everyone just move away from this company until maybe version 10 in a few decades.

Comment

Hello,

As previously mentioned:
                              ACD Systems is committed to supporting the latest official releases of macOS and we will release a free update to ACDSee Mac 5 to coincide with the official release of macOS 10.15 Catalina.

macOS 10.15 Catalina is a Beta. The OS is in active development by Apple, they released another Beta last week and I suspect more to come. ACD has ACDSee Mac 5.3 in testing & development and it will be ready to release with macOS 10.15.

Regarding ACDSee Mac 6.0, the release is schedule for November 2019.

Each year, ACDSee Windows releases in September and ACDSee Mac is in November.

ACDSee Mac 6.0 will be compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Regards,
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X