diagonal lines after processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diagonal lines after processing

I've been seeing the appearance of diagonal lines of small marks across images when I save them, after I have cropped them and done basic processing like lightening shadows, saving highlights, and clarity. I am starting with NEF files from a Nikon D810 on an iMac running OS 10.14.5. I can not yet ascertain if it is affected by the order of the steps used, but am wondering if it has something to do with cropping by pulling a corner instead of moving the sides and top and top and bottom independently. And, it does not always happen, but frequently. The marks are visible in other apps too. Sample attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	RNPL China Cove Coronation Is 12 copy.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	49783

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for this report and sharing the image.
    I understand the Nikon D810 has some shooting options, for example, you can set Compression, Bit-Depth, and size (e.g. "Small NEF" option).
    Which settings do you use, and is there any correlation between the settings and this issue?

Also may I ask what graphics card your machine has?

Regards,
    David

Comment

David: Compression is set to Lossless Compressed, size is set to RAW large, bit depth is set to 14 bit. I do not alter these settings so can't say whether they impact processing. I generally set to get best resolution possible, but the camera was new to me within the last eight months so some settings may have been customized by previous owner. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1GB. When the issue comes up again I will try some tests with processing steps recorded. Bruce.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for this info. We are looking into this issue on our end.

Regards,
        David

Comment

Hi Bruce,

We've spent time investigating this issue but we weren't able to reproduce it unfortunately.
          Have you had the issue come up again?

Regards,
          David

Comment

It has not come up recently but I have not been doing much; I will monitor it and let you know. Bruce.

Comment

This behaviour appeared again this evening after working on one NEF file and saving to JPEG. In this case I did not do any cropping; I wondered if it was connected to scrolling the mouse diagonally, but no. I did a lot of lightening shadows and holding highlights. I will see if I can reproduce the process. EDIT: I tried processing the same image again, using the same sliders, without a problem.Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC6588_resize copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	262.9 KB ID:	50271
              Last edited by Bruce Whittington; 10-11-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

This has happened again. I was able to replicate it when processing an NEF file from a D810 using the Clarity and Vibrance sliders, and when using the Clarity slider alone, but not when using the Vibrance slider alone. I also had used the straighten function (no cropping), but could not replicate the diagonal line using it again. The diagonal line appears in what seems to be the same spot in the upper left corner (in this image) in each replication.??????? Click image for larger version

Name:	clarity only.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	50301Click image for larger version

Name:	first result.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	50302Click image for larger version

Name:	vibrance and clarity.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	50303

Comment

For the record, I posted a message about this problem, but my message is marked with "Unapproved" so I don't know if it is appearing to others. The issue in the thread appeared again and I think I isolated it to the Clarity slider. If my first message with images does not appear let me know and I will resend. Bruce W.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the additional info and screenshots. I'll look into this issue further.

One more question: when you trigger the issue, do you notice any errors or warnings from ACDSee in the macOS Console.app?

Regards,
                    David

Comment

David - My "unapproved message" has appeared, I see. There are never any warning messages. The processing seems to go along smoothly, but when the work is saved as a jpeg (I think this one was saved using the save function at lower left), the diagonal line appears. So it may be a combination of using the clarity slider followed by saving as jpeg. I'll try more testing on other images in that same folder. Bruce.

Comment

I tried something I should have tried earlier; I processed a NEF file taken with my previous camera, a D7100, and also a CR2 image from my Canon G15, both with Clarity only, and saved as jpeg using the "save as " icon at lower left. I did not see the diagonal line in either. I will check some more, but it seems likely that this is an issue with my D810 camera or its settings. Since I bought it used, I may try reverting to factory default settings and see what happens. Bruce W.

Comment

I have since tried processing the same images again, and have been unable to replicate the diagonal lines, which suggests it is not the Nikon D810 image files that are at fault. Perhaps there is a conflict between ACDSee and other apps running at the same time - I have not tried to isolate this.

Comment

I tried this again this evening with Nikon NX-i running in the background (a troublesome app at best) but could not replicate the diagonal lines. Then I tried again with the same image, but with that image open in View NX-i and enlarged (using the f-key) and had four diagonal lines. I tried again but could not replicate this. Then I ran a series of images, same NEF file, with the same image open and enlarged in View NX-i, using only Clarity, at different settings from 65 down to 59, which is the general range where the problem has occurred, but could not replicate. I'm baffled. Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7259Oct27c2_resize.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	50435

Comment

Hi Bruce,

When you experience the issue, do you notice any errors or warnings from ACDSee in the macOS Console.app?

Regards,
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X