Categories/Keywords 'write protected' after DB Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories/Keywords 'write protected' after DB Conversion

There seems to exist a rather new bug in AC: Link, Link, Link.

Most of the users tell, that their DB didn't allow to assign new files to the categories/keywords. Some find empty categories after the DB conversion. Some also find this issue after cataloguing all files with embedded meta data into a brand new DB with their new AC version.

If all this is correct than it implies, that DB conversion and cataloguing all files with embedded meta data are both a no go's to upgrade to a new version: If the categories and/or keywords lists partly become 'write protected' in the conversion process we can't even easily check if the conversion was finished without errors.

Any one else affected? Any comments from the support?
    Last edited by Emil; 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM.

Hi-your comment concerned me, so I checked..I used V9 Ultimate to convert my V8 Ultimate database to a V9, and it seemed to pick up all the keywords okay... EXCEPT...Let me explain a bit..I use a hierarchy in my keywords - such as Festival (at top layer), Birthday at a layer below, etc. Prior to V9 I could select (tick) ALL the layers right from the top, now I can only select the lowest.. it may not be a problem to me at present.. HOWEVER, when I created a test database with V9 Ultimate and rebuilt the metadata (Tools, Metadata, Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata) from an existing set of photos NONE of the ACDSee metadata keywords was imported.- BIG PROBLEM! Do you know if support have had this issue raised?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      ...Let me explain a bit..I use a hierarchy in my keywords - such as Festival (at top layer), Birthday at a layer below, etc. Prior to V9 I could select (tick) ALL the layers right from the top, now I can only select the lowest.. it may not be a problem to me at present..
      I do not fully understand what's your problem here. But I think this is not the bug I describe above.

HOWEVER, when I created a test database with V9 Ultimate and rebuilt the metadata (Tools, Metadata, Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata) from an existing set of photos NONE of the ACDSee metadata keywords was imported.- BIG PROBLEM!
      'Browsing', 'indexing' and 'reading thumbnails and meta data of' the files will all not import any hierarchical embedded meta data (AC-keywords, categories). Only cataloguing and importing databases from backups or text files will do this job. I'm sure this is intended.

Comment

I would contact them independently. The more reports, the higher priority in most systems.

Niels

Comment

The issue over the keyword hierarchy is a change in presentation/functionality from previous versions,,as I said, it may not be a problem.. and having re-read your original posting, my 'observation' is not the same - apologies.
          The second point your are correct - it has been a long time since I needed to rebuild a database from the files, so I was looking the wrong place... so, again, not the same problem as you describe. However, it has shown a problem in that I seem unable to add folders to the cataloguing dialog - it simply shows me a 'Desktop' icon and nothing else.. I need to look into this further...

Comment

I have done a bit more research on more first problem (tick boxes missing..), and discovered it is a known problem:
            "Dear Customers,

I’m sorry to report but that is a bug in ACDSee Pro 9 & Ultimate 9. It got introduced during the High DPI development work. The bug was introduced in the latter stages of development while fixing some other problems.

The issue does have a workaround – you can click the keyword name to do the assignment. You don’t need to check the checkboxes. But, you’ll also notice that if you click next to the keyword name that the keyword is actually assigned. The checkbox is actually working but hidden from view.

Development is now working on fix and I hope to release an update.

Regards,
            Mark Cosgrove "

Phew. I thought I was cracking up!

Comment

I have now tracked down my last problem (Only showing Desktop when attempting to catalogue folders..) and a solution... seems to have been a problem for a few releases/versions!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                I’m sorry to report but that is a bug in ACDSee Pro 9 & Ultimate 9. It got introduced during the High DPI development work. The bug was introduced in the latter stages of development while fixing some other problems.

The issue does have a workaround – you can click the keyword name to do the assignment. You don’t need to check the checkboxes. But, you’ll also notice that if you click next to the keyword name that the keyword is actually assigned. The checkbox is actually working but hidden from view.
                This was a different issue with the very first release of AC pro/ult 9 only and it was fixed with the second released build. This first released build didn't show checkboxes with all categories.

Comment

I checked a bit earlier to see if there were any updates which I hadn't applied, and there were. Having applied them, the check boxes appear to be ok - thanks for the info. The issue of the folder dialog still seems to be there, but at least there is a work around.

Going back to your problem (as described), I did upgrade and convert my V8 Dbase to a V9 using Ult9 and it seemed to go ok.. at least I haven't noticed any problems.. yet. I have even created a new database and catalogue a test number of files, and it did seem to pick of the metadata ok..so I'm sorry, after all this, I cannot offer any further input to your problem.

Comment

I have downloaded a trial version of Ultimate 9 and having done the DB conversion from Pro7, all the IPTC has come across but none of the ACDsee metadata attached to an image - ie all the 'checked' Categories and Keywords. It has kept the notes, and it has transferred the actually category structure I set up. Has this been fixed? I only downloaded the trial earlier this week

Comment

Originally posted by alfpics View Post
                      I have downloaded a trial version of Ultimate 9 and having done the DB conversion from Pro7, all the IPTC has come across but none of the ACDsee metadata attached to an image - ie all the 'checked' Categories and Keywords. It has kept the notes, and it has transferred the actually category structure I set up. Has this been fixed?
                      This exactly seems to be the problem described.
                      - the whole category tree was converted
                      - some/all files are'nd assgined to their categories afterwards
                      - only AC-keywords and/or categories are affected, other meta data (notes) are OK

What's your Build number. You will find this in 'Help' - 'About ACDSee'

Only fix I know is to convert again into a brand new database and check the keywords and categories very thoroughly.

Comment

Hi Emil it is version 9.1 build 580. I shall have a go at what you suggest!

Comment

Working...
                        X