Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Ultimate edit mode: rotating an image is slow

Hello,

I am finding that when I ​rotate a *.ACDsee image in Edit mode in Ultimate 9 that it is quite slow and unresponsive. Strangely enough it was much slower last night than this morning (didn't have anything else running as far as I know), but still pretty slow. I have a fast CPU and am using Windows 10, however I have an APU, which means the GPU is combined with the CPU. What I was wondering was whether rotating a *.ACDsee image in Edit mode uses the GPU to accomplish this. If so, would it be worthwhile then to purchase a separate video card?

System is as follows:

Windows 10 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7: 3.3 GHz
    Memory: 8:00 GB.

Thank you for your help.

Well, it's been six years since the original post -- I was wondering if more people are encountering this issue. I have a new laptop that's loaded, and it still painfully slow when rotating images, whether I select "Force lossless" or not:

Windows 11
    Intel Core i7-11800H (24 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (4 GB)
    32 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
    1 TB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD

I remember when ACDSee was new (like 20 years ago) and it seemed blazing fast compared to now. I realize images have since become much larger, but so have computer processors. I have tried setting the Windows graphics options to use the NVIDIA GPU instead of the laptop GPU ("maximum performance", it says), but it doesn't help at all.
    Last edited by Gecko9; 03-22-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gecko9 View Post
      Well, it's been six years since the original post -- I was wondering if more people are encountering this issue. I have a new laptop that's loaded, and it still painfully slow when rotating images, whether I select "Force lossless" or not:
      Can you clarify in what mode is the rotation you refer to being done, and what type of rotation (fixed 90 movement or slide controlled). Also are the images RAW or some other format?.

I'm using U2022 on Windows 10 Pro with an Intel i7-10700, 32GB memory., a GTX1660 OC 6GB graphics card, with M.2 NVMe drives, and the only issue I have with rotation is that the slider in Develop mode's .Geometry section has a habit of jumping back towards the center if dragged too close to either end. If I use the 5 degree rotation buttons at either end of that slider the rotation is virtually instantaneous, as it is with the 90 degree rotation buttons, even with 20MP (114.2 MB uncompressed) Canon CR3 RAW images.

Both rotation and flip operations in Edit here are virtually instantaneous.
      Rotation +/- 90 degrees in Manage mode is about a second, but that is probably replacing the rotated thumbnail in the database, not just rotating the on screen image.

Comment

Right, I should have spelled it out a little more clearly -- I have many JPG files that are taken in vertical (portrait) orientation, so in Manage Mod I select all the JPGs, press Control+J to open the Batch Rotate window, and regardless of what selection I make (plus/minus 90, 180, etc.), it's always veeeeeery slow --- I mean 20-30 seconds each!

I went through the Edit mode on a picture to test. True, it does rotate instantaneously there, but if you take into account the time it takes to load the file when entering Edit mode, and then the time it takes to close and save the file when going back to Manage, that's about the time it takes for each file in Batch Rotate.
        Last edited by Gecko9; 03-22-2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I just did a test with a dozen photos in batch.
          The processing took about 20 seconds and yet my PC is not a high-end one, but I use Ultimate 2022.
          Do you think that two seconds per image is really slow?

Comment

Two seconds is great! -- I'm talking about 20-30 seconds each, in my case.

I really don't understand how the architectural difference in Windows and Mac can have such different results. In Lightroom on a Mac, you can select a hundred pictures to rotate, it rotates all the thumbnails on the screen at one time, and you can continue working. In ACDSee, on the other hand, the software is tied up while it rotates, so at 20-30 seconds per image, it just doesn't make the cut. I like ACDSee, but this is really making me take a look at other alternatives.
            Last edited by Gecko9; 03-23-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Framon
              Gecko9

Have also run tests on batch rotate of 20 images using U2022..
              Total time was 8.02 seconds if set to "Rename modified images and place in source folder", and 9.80 seconds if set to "Remove/Replace. original files"

Given that it has to update the database records for each image, as well as generate a new thumbnail half a second each on this PC is more than acceptable.

Comment

In Lightroom on a Mac, you can select a hundred pictures to rotate, it rotates all the thumbnails on the screen at one time, and you can continue working
                Afaik, LR just rotates the thumbnails at first, rotation of the image files is done in background.

Comment

Exactly -- I wish ACDSee did that, so we could just continue working while it rotates in the background.

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                  Afaik, LR just rotates the thumbnails at first, rotation of the image files is done in background.

Comment

Not sure if I should support this wish. ACD Systems at times tends to break things that work well. Also AC just hates multi tasking. It's a grumpy old man 😁

Comment

Exactly -- I wish ACDSee did that, so we could just continue working while it rotates in the background.
                      Whist some of the difference in the rotation times times I posted (0.5 secs each). and the 20 to 30 second time each you referred to might possibly be down to an aggressive antivirus system, overall it suggests it is probably just a difference hardware capability..

Turning it into a background task won't reduce its demand on resources,, It just means it will have to share the resources with what ever else your opt to do as a concurrent foreground task, and that will likely have a negative affect on the performance of that task as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                        Not sure if I should support this wish. ACD Systems at times tends to break things that work well. Also AC just hates multi tasking. It's a grumpy old man 😁
                        I couldn't agree more. It's such a great application in theory but it's so full of hiccups and bugs. I have a computer with an i7 octa core, an M.2 SSD and 32GB RAM -- that should allow the software to just click right along, but I don't find their software any faster than 20 years ago. For example, I just found out that Ultimate Pro can't even handle indexing a photo collection with more than 50,000 images. That's ridiculous. If it's "Pro", there are plenty of pros out there that have hundreds of thousands of images.

So.....am I destined to just put up with slow image rotation with ACDSee?

Comment

I just found out that Ultimate Pro can't even handle indexing a photo collection with more than 50,000 images.
                          There is ACDSee Ultimate, ACDSee Pro and ACDSee Home. AFAIK there is no "Ultimate Pro".
                          But that aside, where did you get the idea that ACDSee can't index (I suspect you mean Catalog) more than 50,000 images).

Here is a recent post from Emil about catalogging >300,000 images. https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/acdse...9811#post59811

For what it is worth, none of my collections are anywhere near 300,000, but I have a collection that is >50,000 images with both ACDSee metadata (including face ID metadata) and IPTC metadata embedded. The images are from multiple cameras and are a mix of mainly RAW, TIFF and JPG, though there are also lesser quantities of other image formats. There are also various video formats.
                          I'm not experiencing any difficulty at all with Cataloging (building a complete new database by having ACDSee Ultimate read the metadata from the images). Hierarchical categories are reconstructed correctly (over half of the images in this collection are assigned into at least one multilevel category, in addition to the other Keywords, captions, notes, copyright information etc.)

Now granted, I'm using ACDSee Ultimate 2022, and not ACDSee Pro 2022, but to my knowledge the cataloging process is the same for all three 2022 versions..
                          Last edited by Greyfox; 03-26-2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I use Ultimate 2022, I have 90.000 pictures with face recognition. My PC is a medium type. I find sometimes ACDSee is slower than I would, but no slower than Lightroom I used for a long time.

Many things could easily be made more comfortable in ACDSee (for instance release migration !). Maybe we should create a wish list thread (or several, one by large subject : ie develop, metadata, interface, ....) ?

Comment

Originally posted by brajaq View Post
                              Many things could easily be made more comfortable in ACDSee
                              Agree 100%. In the last decade I've created numerous workarounds for the last mile of the race. (E.g. Shortcut links, external programs, metadata manipulation after export, categories to path name conversion, ...) AC often is running out of fuel with the "Finish" sign ahead.

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
                              There is ACDSee Ultimate, ACDSee Pro and ACDSee Home. AFAIK there is no "Ultimate Pro".
                              I'm pretty sure they are both compiled from the same source code and just linked with different switches. I wonder why they don't use resource files for every supported language, though. With support from users there could be many more languages and a much better translation.

Hey dev team! "Bereich" isn't a suitable expression for a geographical location in German. To name just one . . .

Seems I'm talkative this weekend 😀
                              Last edited by Emil; 03-27-2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X