X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing F2 to Rename Files Doesn't Work

And it hasn't for a while.

Hi garysibio,

I have tried to reproduce this issue, but F2 is correctly beginning a rename for me. Are you trying to rename a file in the Manage mode file list, or somewhere else?

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that you may have unbound the shortcut. If you open Tools > Customize Shortcuts, and type F2 in the "Enter new shortcut key" box, does it say it is currently assigned to Rename? See the attached screenshot.

If it is assigned to something else, or not assigned at all, you can find Rename in the Edit category. Select it, type F2 in the "Enter new shortcut key" box as before, and click Assign. Again, see the screenshot.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems
    Last edited by Tristan H; 04-05-2019, 03:19 PM. Reason: Minor clarification

Comment

@ garysbio - In addition to Tristan's good advice above, I had this same issue which turned out to be another software package on my PC which had "hijacked" F2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
        Hi garysibio,

I have tried to reproduce this issue, but F2 is correctly beginning a rename for me. Are you trying to rename a file in the Manage mode file list, or somewhere else?

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that you may have unbound the shortcut. If you open Tools > Customize Shortcuts, and type F2 in the "Enter new shortcut key" box, does it say it is currently assigned to Rename? See the attached screenshot.

If it is assigned to something else, or not assigned at all, you can find Rename in the Edit category. Select it, type F2 in the "Enter new shortcut key" box as before, and click Assign. Again, see the screenshot.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

I tried this and it wouldn't allow me to enter 'F2' in the Enter New Shortcut Key field. When Ithought you meant press the F2 key but that put an upper-case C in the field. pressed the 2, the F is deleted. Then I thought that may you meant press the actual F2 key but that put an upper-case C in the field.

I wonder if LV_Bill might be on to something with the something hijacked my F2 key.

Comment

Hi garysibio,

From what you're describing, I think LV_Bill could be right about something hijacking your F2 key. When you press the F2 key I would expect 'F2' to appear in the field, as in the screenshot I posted earlier.

Does the F2 key work as you would expect in other applications? Especially Windows Explorer, where it should start a rename if a file or folder is selected.

Are you using a QWERTY keyboard? Is your system set to use a US keyboard? Is there a FUNCTION LOCK (F-LOCK) or similar key on your keyboard that could be redirecting the output to something like volume or screen brightness?

Do other function keys work as expected in ACDSee? For example, F1 should open the Help, CTRL + F2 should go to Photos mode, and ALT + F4 should close ACDSee. F1 and ALT + F4 should also work in most other applications.

Beyond that, I would suspect some other software is interfering, but I am not sure what. You could try booting your computer into safe mode, which limits the number of applications that start.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Thanks, all. I'll see if I can figure out what it is. It's not a huge problem.

Gary

Comment

Working...
            X