extract file paths from database

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extract file paths from database

I have a fairly large image collection of about 250K files. Files are spread across many folders. I would like to extract from the database *all* folders with images in them.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

I can think of two or three methods - all quite awkward.

Are you looking for all files paths for every single file or just the root paths of every resource?

If it's the first, let AC display the image well in manage mode with the file path column enabled. Then type CTRL-G to get the list as text file. Next delete all unnecessary info from the list and filter unique lines. Any calc program with text import might be very usefully for this.

If it's the latter, then export the database into a text file without any selected item and look for the 'Folderroot' entries at the very end of the text.

What do you want to achieve with this approach?

Comment

Hi Emil,

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to assess where are all my images. I would like to audit my drives, and eventually to consolidate my images. But to do that I have to locate them first. I also would like to ensure that I have not missed some folders that I would need to catalog.

I left my comp for 2 days trying to build a list of all files in the manage view, but no luck.

I have tried to access the DB file directly. The file Folder.dbf seems to contain all the info, and I could extract and build paths with a simple script. Not sure what format that file is in though. Does not seem to be a valid dBase (headers not conforming, at least to the spec i found online). I was able to open the file with DBF Viewer 2000, but would not want to shell out for a license for just one use, and I could not import it as dBase file in anything else. Can you shed any light on the db file format?

Comment

For a summary you could also try database maintenance in AC, but this doesn't offer to cut 'n paste the paths. Also this will most likely not not show the whole truth; there might be images not catalogued at all and also orphaned database entries. At some point it is better to simply search for image files in windows explorer.

Comment

Working...
        X