Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong Pictures Show (Database Corruption?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Pictures Show (Database Corruption?)

Just upgraded to ACDSee Ultimate 2019 (on Windows 7 Pro).

Now some of my pictures are "linked" to other (wrong) pictures.

When I view pics in Manage mode, view as file details list, a few of the entries in the list are grayed out, and when I select them they do not show a thumbnail or preview. And when I double-click to open them, ACDSEE opens a DIFFERENT PICTURE.

There are about 10 files like this, and when double-clicked they will ALL open the SAME picture (think "pic A", and "pics 1,- 10"... when I double-click to open ANY of pics 1 - 10, ACDSee always opens pic A.)

These offending pics open fine in other applications - if I view the same folder in Windows Explorer, and click on the pictures, the correct thumbnail shows in the Explorer preview pane, and if I choose "Open With..." and choose any other pic viewer (Paint, Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, etc) the correct pic opens.

I have re-cataloged files in the folder several times - no change.

I also optimized the database - no change.

Another thing I noticed is that in ACDSee, when I select one of these, in the Properties pane there is no Database Date assigned to these pics, so there has to be database corruption, right?

So I created a NEW database, closed & reopened ACDSEE with the new database & re-cataloged files - no change.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!!!

Hi bugman,

I suspect that View mode is showing a different image than what you selected because when it opens, it is rejecting the 10 or so images that are having issues. In these situations, View mode will select the first image in the folder as a fallback. If you check the number of files in the folder in Manage mode, and compare to the number of files listed by View mode's Filmstrip, I think you will find that the Filmstrip has 10 or so fewer images. It isn't so much that the problem images are somehow "linked" to another image, as that View mode is falling back to an image it can display.

As to why this is happening, I am less certain. I recommend that you contact Customer Care here: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/. They can provide better one-on-one assistance to understand and resolve this issue. Sending them some samples of the images will likely help them to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Tristan,

Thanks for your response.

You are exactly right - there are 15 "bad" images, and the number of files in the View mode filmstrip is indeed 15 less than the number shown in Manage mode.

And the file that opens when I DC on one of the bad ones is indeed the first file in the list.

Here's what I have done now:

========================

Deleted the "bad" files from within ACDSee.

Using Windows Explorer, copied copies of the files from another backup folder into the main image folder where I want them. Note that the copies I copied over had the exact same filename as the bad ones.

The copies (now in the main image folder) still would not display properly.

Deleted these copies from the main image folder again using ACDSee.

In my backup folder, I created a subfolder, copied the bad files into it, then browsed to that folder with ACDSee - the files displayed fine. Note that this folder is NOT included in my ACDSee database.

Using ACDSee, I renamed these new copies of the 15 bad files to test-1, test-2, test-3, etc)

Copied these renamed files into main image folder (which is included in my ACDSee database), and ACDSee handled them properly - showed thumbnails, and when double-clicked on them they opened correctly.

I them re-cataloged all the files in this folder (with the names of these 15 still as "test-n").

Images still displayed fine.

Within ACDSee, I renamed these newly copied in images back to their original filenames, and they no longer displayed!

I deleted these images again (from within ACDSee).

Wondering it problem was something about the image files themselves (and not the NAME of the files), I opened the copies of these images (in the backup folder) in Photoshop, and saved NEW copies with different filenames ("new-1", "new-2", etc).

In ACDSee, I created a new subfolder named "Bad" in my main images folder.

Using Windows Explorer, I copied the new files (copies made with Photoshop) into the "Bad" folder.

Browsed to that folder in ACDSee, the images displayed fine - both thumbnails and also could open them fine.

Using ACDSee, I copied them back into main images folder again - still with the new filenames, and within the main images folder they all showed thumbnails properly, and all opened fine.

Using ACDSee, I re-named them back to their original filenames, ALL WERE "BAD" again - ACDSee would not display thumbnails and would not open them.

Using ACDSee, within the main images folder, I renamed them, back to "new-1", "new-2", etc, they still would NOT open properly - but remember when I renamed them IN A DIFFERENT FOLDER, they WOULD open properly in that different folder, and also after being copied back into the main images folder.

========================

To me, this sure seems like an ACDSee database issue.

I am about to completely uninstall ACDSee, and will go through the registry & remove all traces of it, reboot machine and reinstall, and create a new ACDSee database and see what happens. I will report back afterwards.

(What a nightmare...)

Comment

Hi bugman,

Before taking such drastic measures, there is a possible solution you might want to look at. If you open Tools > Database > Quarantine Files, are the "bad" files listed?

If so, this would explain some of your observations, specifically how you deleted the files and copied them from another location, only to find they were still unviewable. The Quarantined Files list is independent from the database, so the list of quarantined files remains even after deleting the files.

If the files are quarantined, you have a couple of options. You can try to remove the files from the quarantined list and see if they work this time, or you can disable quarantine entirely. But if the files are quarantined, there is a reason for it. Usually files are quarantined because they have crashed the image viewer plugin. So if you remove the files from quarantine they may just add themselves back when you try to view them. And if you disable quarantine entirely, ACDSee might crash. On the other hand, the images were fine in another folder, so maybe the quarantine issue was just a one-time problem.

This is all just a guess I'm afraid. But it is worth a quick check to see if it will solve your issues before taking further action.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
        X