Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Categories when converting

Hi!
    Been using Pro 6 and felt it was time to try something new.
    So got a trial version of Ultimate 2019, optimized the db in Pro 6, converted it in Ultimate. Had some serious problems when moving to Pro 6 so was gladly surprised to see that this operation seemed to have worked on the first try.
    But that joy didn't last long...
    Even though all my Categories under Catalog were imported and visible no images were assigned to them. The images are on the same drive and accessible so it's not that Ultimate can't find the images when going through the optimizing part of the conversion that's the problem.

So what step did I miss or what did I do wrong?

Tried searching and even though I found a lot of posts about conversion and moving the db none of the ones I found touched my problem.

Originally posted by pson View Post
    Even though all my Categories under Catalog were imported and visible no images were assigned to them.
    This is a known bug (at least to me :-) Read this.

Imho best option is to delete the new db, convert the old db once more and check the new db thoroughly.
    Because this can happen not only when converting an old db but any time, it's worth a usage warning.

Comment

So it has been around since 2015 and still isn't sorted? That really makes me want to pay for an upgrade when you know that amount of hard work has been done...

Can you perhaps help me with a step by step guide in sorting it out cause the way I just did what you suggested didn't work.
      In 'Tools-Database-Database Maintenance' I clicked on 'Remove All DB Info' to remove all entries and then 'Optimize Database...' and then 'Close' to restart the program.
      Then 'Tools-Database-Convert Database', chose 'ACDSee Pro 6' and then checked both 'Rebuild...' and 'Optimize...' and waited for a miracle but nope.

Should I have done something with the 'Categories' before importing? Cause they were still listed under 'Catalog' even after deleting the DB.

Comment

Ok, your not used to CLI :-)

To make it simple:
        Go to File-Database-New.
        Type in a name for the new db and click OK.
        AC will restart and switch to the new db.
        Then convert your old db once more ...

This will leave the broken db behind on your disk.

If you want to support ACDSystems, you may want to backup the broken db and send it to the support. Here's how:
        Before switching to the new db as shown above:
        Go to Tools-Database-Backup-BackupDatabase.
        Don't change any of the default options but "browse" the folder tree and select "Desktop" and finish the dialogue.

Now you should find a folder named "ACDSeeBK. . ." on your desktop. Within it there's a file named "ACDSeeDB.zip". Send this file to the support along with a description.

Hope it helps.

Comment

CLI?

That approach didn't help
          Still the same, the categories get there but no images are assigned to them...

I may be remembering it completely wrong but when i migrated to Pro 6 I have a distant memory that I couldn't go directly from my stone age version to Pro 6 so I had to install a version that was in between and convert it to that one version first.

Ever heard about something like that or am I mixing it up with some other program? And may that be the cause this time also?

Comment

Originally posted by pson View Post
            CLI?
            Command Line Interface

That approach didn't help
            You've switched to a new db, converted the old db again and still are facing the same issue? Strange, imho this bug doesn't appear very often. I've seen it 4-5 time in the last couple of years and always been able to solve it by replacing the faulty db with a new one. I'm converting quite a number of db's a year I've never seen it twice in a row.

I think its time for mcosgrove or Tristan H to drop in and give some advice.

BTW. Be sure to have the old db optimized before conversion.

Comment

Hi pson and Emil,

I am not familiar with this issue, but I do have a couple of questions, and a probable workaround.
              • While converting your database, is Pro 6 open?
              • What kind of drive are the images in question on? Is it an internal hard drive, or an external drive?
              • When you convert your database, do you get any kind of message about mapping a drive? Is the message for the drive on which these images are located?
              • In 2019, can you please check Tools > Database > Excluded Folder Settings, and see if the drive is excluded? And more generally, if there are any other excluded folders that you use to store images, which were not excluded in Pro 6?
              As for the workaround, I suggest that you embed all metadata in your images in Pro 6. Then after you have converted your database, use Tools > Database > Catalog Files to re-catalog your file system. Ensure that "Import ACDSee organizing information" is checked. Since you've already converted your database, presumably including image thumbnails, the process should be fairly quick, and it should populate your Categories and ACDSee Keywords with your files.

Thanks,
              Tristan H.
              ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
                I am not familiar with this issue, ...
                I think, last time I've mentioned this was in Aug. 2018. Link

[*]While converting your database, is Pro 6 open?
                As I recall, I've first seen it when converting an old Pro v8 db with Pro v9. Afaik, it doesn't matter if the older version is running or not.

[*]What kind of drive are the images in question on? Is it an internal hard drive, or an external drive?
                Our images generally are stored on shares using SMB with windows and linux servers.

[*]When you convert your database, do you get any kind of message about mapping a drive? Is the message for the drive on which these images are located?
                Never.

[*]In 2019, can you please check Tools > Database > Excluded Folder Settings, and see if the drive is excluded? And more generally, if there are any other excluded folders that you use to store images, which were not excluded in Pro 6?
                Not only v2019 is affected, the culprit exists since at least Pro v9, read linked forum posts.
                This is not a matter of excluded drives/folders or quarantined files. Imho, it can happen at any time, Because many assignments to categories are created at time of db conversion it usually happens when converting a db. Don't know if it also occurs when importing another db, but at least once I've also seen it when cataloguing files: At some stage of the conversion progress AC stops to assign images to the categories. In the end all non hierarchical tags are read and stored in the new db but some (sometimes all) categories get created and remain empty. Don't know about collections, but AC-keywords seem to be affected too. (see links)

I suggest that you embed all metadata in your images in Pro 6. Then after you have converted your database, use Tools > Database > Catalog Files to re-catalog your file system.
                Since at least implementation of face recognition this isn't an option any more. Imho there currently is no reliable way to upgrade to a new version. This is one of the reasons why we still are on Pro v8! All later versions never have been accepted and only exist on test drives.

Once again some links to posts that describe the issue: Link, Link, Link, Link, Link
                Last edited by Emil; Yesterday, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                  Command Line Interface

You've switched to a new db, converted the old db again and still are facing the same issue? Strange, imho this bug doesn't appear very often. I've seen it 4-5 time in the last couple of years and always been able to solve it by replacing the faulty db with a new one. I'm converting quite a number of db's a year I've never seen it twice in a row.

I think its time for mcosgrove or Tristan H to drop in and give some advice.

BTW. Be sure to have the old db optimized before conversion.
                  Oh, OK. I use command line programs, but don't know how that came into this cause can't see that you mentioned anything about that. But never mind
                  Yes the db was optimized, that's why I didn't answer you right away. Pro 6 took for ages to remove everything except the image disk from the db and then optimizing it.
                  ‚Äč
                  Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
                  Hi pson and Emil,

I am not familiar with this issue, but I do have a couple of questions, and a probable workaround.
                  • While converting your database, is Pro 6 open?
                  • What kind of drive are the images in question on? Is it an internal hard drive, or an external drive?
                  • When you convert your database, do you get any kind of message about mapping a drive? Is the message for the drive on which these images are located?
                  • In 2019, can you please check Tools > Database > Excluded Folder Settings, and see if the drive is excluded? And more generally, if there are any other excluded folders that you use to store images, which were not excluded in Pro 6?
                  As for the workaround, I suggest that you embed all metadata in your images in Pro 6. Then after you have converted your database, use Tools > Database > Catalog Files to re-catalog your file system. Ensure that "Import ACDSee organizing information" is checked. Since you've already converted your database, presumably including image thumbnails, the process should be fairly quick, and it should populate your Categories and ACDSee Keywords with your files.

Thanks,
                  Tristan H.
                  ACD Systems
                  Hi!
                  • Pro 6 is not open.
                  • The images are on an internal drive and the images are accessible during the conversion.
                  • Got it the first time I tried but that was for the drive where I have my programs, the old one died so that's why I'm trying a new version, but I fixed this in the Pro 6 DB by removing all entries except for the ones where I store my images.
                  • I've excluded everything except the drive where I have my images just as I had in Pro 6. But I also had a lot of folders on my image drive that I had excluded but they hasn't been imported. But maybe they are not supposed to either?
                  Don't think your workaround will work cause that would change the modified date on every single file, right? And that's not an option.

Comment

Working...
                  X