Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating everything from 2019 to 2020

Have just installed Ultimate 2020.
    How do I migrate all data, face detects etc from 2019 to start using 2020 in the same state that 2019 is?
    Have tried to export the database, but 2020 tells me it's from a previous version.
    I cannot remember the process from versions 2018 to 2019.

All is AOK. I found a helpful previous post.

Comment

Hi, JohnG50D

I have just installed Ultimate 2020 as well, as an upgrade from 2019. I am having the same problem as you. Unable to access/transfer the databases created in version 2019. Could you let me know how you fixed it, or point me to the previous post that you mentioned.

Comment

Hi Berend, I installed Ultimate 2020 today then used the Convert Database option under Tools>Database to convert the 2019 database. All seems to be working OK including face detects & keywords. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG50D View Post
          Could you please provide a link to that post you are referencing? Thank you!

Comment

I had a few hoops to jump through to go from Ult 2019 to Ult 2020 --- not a show stopper, it's all good now, but a little puzzling. Maybe I missed something somewhere!
            Perhaps I wasn't using 2019 correctly, even though I thought I was?? I had a long list of Keywords and Categories, working fine in Ult. 2019.

After installing 2020, I did Convert Database, which went quickly. I could see my list of Keywords and Categories as being available then.
            But ----- the ACDSee Metadata Keyword field did NOT show any info. Blank field on all my files. I called Tech Support, and Andreas stepped through with me, and seemed to recognize the issue.

He had me do a test on one subfolder ----> Right-CLick on the Folder (on left side of screen) and run "Catalog Files....." It worked, the fields were all populated correctly in that folder.
            He mentioned that this shouldn't really need to be done, but for some reason, whatever, I had to do a Catalog of all the Folders, and everything was fine.
            I have 76,000 files(!) and I had to do this multiple times because the Cataloging would stop by itself in the middle of the process. Eventually it completed, and all fields were fine.

At this point, I still had to go through all of the Options, and compare the 2 programs side by side. I have 2 screens, which made it a lot easier side-by-side, and matched the Options.
            Ult. 2020 does have some new settings on various screens, but once I went through and compared every page, things were settled down. There are some odds and ends that had to be setup.
            Check your Metadata View if you've customized it, and any custom Metadata Presets. They were just fine.

Also check if you set any External Editors, configure your Slideshow or Screensaver, and verify your Plugin Settings. Everything looks solid at this point --- I suppose next I should "Optimize"! LOL

Comment

Thank you, Geoffoote

Converted 2019 database as per your instructions, All worked fine. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG50D View Post
                Please post a link to that previous post. It would be most helpful to me.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Potatoman1 View Post

Please post a link to that previous post. It would be most helpful to me.

Thank you.
                  I don't know if OP will link the original post, but I eventually figured out something that worked (mostly):
                  1. Optimize database using the version you are upgrading from
                  2. After optimization is complete, switch to your new version, and convert the database (tools>database>convert)
                  3. The converting wizard should automatically detect your database file (if you have multiple, then you will need to do that for each one; if not detected, then you will need to locate the file using the prior version)
                  4. Select whatever checkboxes are appropriate (I think I chose to "rebuild" info)
                  5. Manually re-add your external editors from manage mode
                  6. Manually re-add your plugins from edit mode
                  7. Once complete, the new version will be set up just like you old version (presets; actions; etc.) OTHER THAN face data.

I could not figure out how to migrate my face data. I upgraded from 2019 and uninstalled it after Step 7, so I can't confirm whether it has the option of embedding the face data like 2020 does. If embedding face data is available, then I suggest doing that before starting with step 1. I understand that embedded face data is supposed to carry over, but I can't confirm whether it does or doesn't. I have been manually redoing face recognition.

Comment

This process didn't work for me (didn't work in 2019 version either). I had to add a new step 2. Tools/Data Base/Database Maintenance - For some reason, ACDSee sometimes adds flash drives to the Local Database. Optimization does not delete these orphan USB drives and they are not listed as Removable drives. So when you try to import the database into the next version the process hangs on "Removing excluded assets".

So before doing the database convert I need to delete the orphan local (and external) drives before importing. Database Maintenance takes hours - that's right, HOURS - to eventually reach the point where you can delete the rogue USB drives. "Please wait while ACDSee is collecting and summarizing Database information......." goes on and on, using only 16% of the CPU and accessing the hard drives at 0.1MB per second. Why it only reads at 0.1MB/sec from a high speed digital drive is beyond understanding. In fact, I don't understand why the latest versions insist on having a new Database format that requires users to struggle for hours to get their important databases into the update.

Originally posted by dragus359 View Post

I don't know if OP will link the original post, but I eventually figured out something that worked (mostly):
                    1. Optimize database using the version you are upgrading from
                    2. After optimization is complete, switch to your new version, and convert the database (tools>database>convert)
                    3. The converting wizard should automatically detect your database file (if you have multiple, then you will need to do that for each one; if not detected, then you will need to locate the file using the prior version)
                    4. Select whatever checkboxes are appropriate (I think I chose to "rebuild" info)
                    5. Manually re-add your external editors from manage mode
                    6. Manually re-add your plugins from edit mode
                    7. Once complete, the new version will be set up just like you old version (presets; actions; etc.) OTHER THAN face data.

I could not figure out how to migrate my face data. I upgraded from 2019 and uninstalled it after Step 7, so I can't confirm whether it has the option of embedding the face data like 2020 does. If embedding face data is available, then I suggest doing that before starting with step 1. I understand that embedded face data is supposed to carry over, but I can't confirm whether it does or doesn't. I have been manually redoing face recognition.
                    Last edited by RichardHC; 10-25-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I had a similar experiences with the database about 3 versions ago....
                      I have gone to doing database maintenance every week (I think the official recommendation is every month).

This fixed a whole bunch of problems for me, including smoother upgrades.
                      (I have zero experience with facial recognition)

Comment

Working...
                      X