Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDR in Ultimate 2020 - new feature just doesn't work....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDR in Ultimate 2020 - new feature just doesn't work....

Anyone tried the new HDR feature in Ultimate 2020? I've tried it on several sets of bracketed photos, it just doesn't work!
    The HDR output file is completely blown out, with unrecoverable white and black parts, not even remotely similar to a reasonable HDR function.

Hi Ariel,.

We've recieved the support ticket with the sample files and I am going to let our QA team to look into this too. Note we may need the originals too and I will update you once I got the feedback for the QA team.

Thanks
    James

ACD Customer Care

Comment

James W- I've been exposure stacking for a long time. I spent a long time figuring out how to create the best set of images for a given stacking tool. I use two other exposure staking tools For each I have different criteria for creation of the base images that impact the camera settings/method used..

It may be worth creating a "Best Practices for Exposure Stacking with ACD".

Based on my limited experience w/ U2020, it certainly seems I will have a third process. It would certainly save me a bunch of time.

Comment

Hi GusPanella,

We do provide some instructions for shooting photos for HDR in the help file of ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020.

It can be found under the following section: Top Toolbar > Help > Help Contents > Edit Mode > Using Layers > Creating an HDR Image

Regards,

Shakil H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Yes, I did already see the help file. From those rules you can tell handheld HDR isn't an option for U2020.

But even limiting to tripod based images, my success rate with U2020 HDR is less than 20%.
          (vs. other tools where I see 100% success even when including the hand-held shots)

I think there has got to be something else. Maybe there is some scene limitations?

For example, Is there a 3-shot image of a sunset (or even 9 shot) that can be shared as an example of how to get the best results out of U2020 HDR?

Comment

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about this new feature in U2020?

It seems very limited in comaprison to a typical good HDR standalone program like Photomatrix.
            I made some quick tests with the "process/ HDR" option and its very limited selection of presets and then compared the result to Photomatrix. The ACDSee versions were totally "over the top" and unusable :-(
            I want to use the HDR feature to increase the DR captured of a High dynamic range scene that exceeds the range that is possible with a single shot from my camera. I want the reults to still look reasonably realistic & natural and want to adjust them to taste. I don't want to push the image so far that it looks garish, over the top and looses all the contrast by pushing the shadows until it has that horrible flat "HDR look".

Also, if I understood a comment correctly made somewhere else, then the HDR mode in U2020 requires a set of images taken on a tripod (not hand held).
            If that is true then it is another reason that renders this U2020 HDR mode unusable for me since I don't take a tripod on my longer hiking trips. Other HDR programs will automatically align such handheld shots before merging them. Is that alignment not happening with U2020 ?

Comment

ACD > Help > Help Contents > Index > HDR
              There are a couple messages about using a tripod and eliminating shake. Coupled with my personal experience, it would seem that image alignment may not be part of the Ult2020 HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel View Post
                Anyone tried the new HDR feature in Ultimate 2020? I've tried it on several sets of bracketed photos, it just doesn't work!
                The HDR output file is completely blown out, with unrecoverable white and black parts, not even remotely similar to a reasonable HDR function.
                Hello there, I also tried that new feature and had poor results. I tried with 5 and 9 different exposures using a tripod. The resulting image doesn't feel like HDR at all.

Comment

Working...
                X