Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDR in Ultimate 2020 - new feature just doesn't work....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HDR in Ultimate 2020 - new feature just doesn't work....

    Anyone tried the new HDR feature in Ultimate 2020? I've tried it on several sets of bracketed photos, it just doesn't work!
    The HDR output file is completely blown out, with unrecoverable white and black parts, not even remotely similar to a reasonable HDR function.

  • #2
    Hi Ariel,.

    We've recieved the support ticket with the sample files and I am going to let our QA team to look into this too. Note we may need the originals too and I will update you once I got the feedback for the QA team.






    Thanks
    James

    ACD Customer Care

    Comment


    • #3
      James W- I've been exposure stacking for a long time. I spent a long time figuring out how to create the best set of images for a given stacking tool. I use two other exposure staking tools For each I have different criteria for creation of the base images that impact the camera settings/method used..

      It may be worth creating a "Best Practices for Exposure Stacking with ACD".

      Based on my limited experience w/ U2020, it certainly seems I will have a third process. It would certainly save me a bunch of time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi GusPanella,

        We do provide some instructions for shooting photos for HDR in the help file of ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020.

        It can be found under the following section: Top Toolbar > Help > Help Contents > Edit Mode > Using Layers > Creating an HDR Image

        Regards,

        Shakil H.
        ACD Systems

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, I did already see the help file. From those rules you can tell handheld HDR isn't an option for U2020.

          But even limiting to tripod based images, my success rate with U2020 HDR is less than 20%.
          (vs. other tools where I see 100% success even when including the hand-held shots)

          I think there has got to be something else. Maybe there is some scene limitations?

          For example, Is there a 3-shot image of a sunset (or even 9 shot) that can be shared as an example of how to get the best results out of U2020 HDR?



          Comment


          • #6
            I'm surprised more people haven't complained about this new feature in U2020?

            It seems very limited in comaprison to a typical good HDR standalone program like Photomatrix.
            I made some quick tests with the "process/ HDR" option and its very limited selection of presets and then compared the result to Photomatrix. The ACDSee versions were totally "over the top" and unusable :-(
            I want to use the HDR feature to increase the DR captured of a High dynamic range scene that exceeds the normal range that is possible with a single shot from my camera. I want the results to still look reasonably realistic & natural and want to adjust them to taste. I don't want to push the image so far that it looks garish, over the top and looses all the contrast by pushing the shadows until it has that horrible flat "HDR look".

            Also, if I understood a comment correctly made somewhere else, then the HDR mode in U2020 requires a set of images taken on a tripod (not hand held).
            If that is true then it is another reason that renders this U2020 HDR mode unusable for me since I don't take a tripod on my longer hiking trips. Other HDR programs will automatically align such handheld shots before merging them. Is that alignment not happening with U2020 ?
            Last edited by Trevor; 01-28-2020, 12:05 AM.

            Comment


            • #7

              ACD > Help > Help Contents > Index > HDR
              There are a couple messages about using a tripod and eliminating shake. Coupled with my personal experience, it would seem that image alignment may not be part of the Ult2020 HDR.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ariel View Post
                Anyone tried the new HDR feature in Ultimate 2020? I've tried it on several sets of bracketed photos, it just doesn't work!
                The HDR output file is completely blown out, with unrecoverable white and black parts, not even remotely similar to a reasonable HDR function.
                Hello there, I also tried that new feature and had poor results. I tried with 5 and 9 different exposures using a tripod. The resulting image doesn't feel like HDR at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                  ACD > Help > Help Contents > Index > HDR
                  There are a couple messages about using a tripod and eliminating shake. Coupled with my personal experience, it would seem that image alignment may not be part of the Ult2020 HDR.
                  ...does that mean there is also no image alignment with the new focus stacking option?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Trevor View Post

                    ...does that mean there is also no image alignment with the new focus stacking option?
                    I just found something....
                    Manage mode > Select multiple files > Load Files into Stack

                    You are now automagically in Edit Mode

                    Layers Pane > [select_specific_layer]

                    Some options are available in the Layer menu
                    Layer > auto-align layers
                    Layer > Auto-blend
                    Layer > HDR
                    Layer > Focus stack

                    Conclusion: looks like there is a "auto-align" layers.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      With these features, I was able to achieve better results, albeit somewhat manually.

                      Starting with a 51 image focus stack
                      select 3 images at a time
                      Layers > Auto-align; Layers > Focus stack


                      Reduced to 17 images
                      select 3 images at a time
                      Layers > Auto-align; Layers > Focus stack

                      Reduced to 6 images
                      select all 6 images
                      Layers > Auto-align; Layers > Focus stack

                      The results were MUCH better than trying to stack 25 images (ACD limit) in one go.

                      It would be cool if I could automate an align/stack process to fit the needs of the final image.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm having the same experience as the original poster, it seems every time I attempt HDR the highlights are blown out and there is significant banding. All shots were taken on a tripod, and have tried both three and five shot series. It looks as if there is an issue with tone mapping the colors. As for the auto-align, it also does not appear to work properly. I tried using it on the same set of images and the algorithm cannot properly identify the alignment, it detects significant movement between the photos even though they were all on a tripod taken in a bracket. These were all taken with a Panasonic G85 using RW2 format. These are well intended features but at this point aren't usable and I'l be sticking with Affinity Photo for these tasks.
                        Last edited by bmcnich; 11-28-2019, 07:53 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi bmcnich,


                          We would like to have the original sample files to look into HDR result you have observed. I will send you a direct message to your gmail account, with information to upload the sample files to us.




                          Thanks
                          James
                          ACD Customer Care Team




                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bmcnich View Post
                            I'm having the same experience as the original poster, it seems every time I attempt HDR the highlights are blown out and there is significant banding. All shots were taken on a tripod, and have tried both three and five shot series. It looks as if there is an issue with tone mapping the colors. As for the auto-align, it also does not appear to work properly. I tried using it on the same set of images and the algorithm cannot properly identify the alignment, it detects significant movement between the photos even though they were all on a tripod taken in a bracket. These were all taken with a Panasonic G85 using RW2 format. These are well intended features but at this point aren't usable and I'l be sticking with Affinity Photo for these tasks.
                            Hi,

                            For auto-aligning were you using the following option from the top toolbar?

                            "Layer > Auto-Align Layers"

                            This Auto-Align feature works better when the exposures are similar in all the layers in the stack.

                            For Auto-aligning images for HDR the option inside top toolbar's Layer > HDR... > Auto-Align Layers works a bit better.

                            Sincerely,

                            Shakil H.
                            ACD Systems

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by James W- View Post
                              Hi bmcnich,


                              We would like to have the original sample files to look into HDR result you have observed. I will send you a direct message to your gmail account, with information to upload the sample files to us.




                              Thanks
                              James
                              ACD Customer Care Team



                              I would like to reverse the request. From ACD, I would like to see a couple sample file sets of files where the Ult2020 HDR feature yields expected/usable results.

                              I would use these files as a starting point to tweak my photography process to fit what the ACD math needs, (I have certainly been unsuccessful in my 50+ attempts.)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X