ACDSee 2020 increases screen brightness unintentionally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee 2020 increases screen brightness unintentionally

I just installed a trial of ACDSee 2020 to see whether an upgrade is viable for me.

When I start ACDSee 2020, it unintentionally increases the brightness of my calibrated screen. Whenever I switch to another application, the original screen brightness is restored until I switch back to the ACDSee window. I can not observe this in ACDSee 2019.

Is there any knob to turn off that behaviour? I only found a Gamma adjustment setting in the preferences, which is turned off and should not be the culprit.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This seems very strange.

Is it possible there is a "brightness control depending on application" feature in the video driver or screen calibration software?

Comment

From what I have observed so far, it seems that ACDSee 2020 switches to another Windows power profile (most likely for high performance) whenever it becomes the foreground window, which then also sets my screen brightness to 100%.

The quick workaround is, I can set screen brightness while ACDSee 2020 is in the foreground, and it will remember that setting. However, I'd like to have a knob to switch that off and also would like to know what other settings this power profile changes.

Question is, is that a Windows feature (I run Windows 10 1903) or an ACDSee feature?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	50428That is my setting and it is ever good.

Comment

Hi Janto,

As far as I know, there is no way for ACDSee to control your power settings. This seems more likely to be an issue with Windows than with ACDSee. I've done some quick research, and it seems that Windows 10 has had occasional issues with power plans switching on their own since it launched. This seems like the closest to your issue, though not identical: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-8f04337c749d

I would suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps and see if disabling and re-enabling your services in a clean boot fixes the issue in the same way it fixed the user's issue. If not, I would recommend that you contact Customer Care, either from our website (https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/) or directly at [email protected]

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Thanks Edvard and Tristan.

Actually, it *was* the color profile that also seems to control the brightness. When I set the input profile to my calibrated profile, the brightness is going along with the rest of my desktop. Weird thing is, that in ACDSee 2019 the color profile does not do that (I had the default profile since ever there).

Comment

Hi Janto,

I just want to clarify - was it the brightness of the entire monitor that changed, or just the brightness of images being displayed? Also, was this in all modes, or only in Develop mode?

If you still need troubleshooting assistance, or would like to report the issue, contacting Customer Care is probably the best way to go.

Thanks,
              Tristan H.
              ACD Systems

Comment

Hi Tristan, it is the entire monitor display affected by the brightness change. And unfortunatly, it seems to not have been the color profile as I first thought. I have a work-around, because when I adjust the brightness when ACDSee 2020 is in the foreground, the setting will be sticky. So I just set the brightness down to the desired (default) level and it will stay with that setting even across restarts. It's weird tho to have two different brightness levels, maybe it's intended? I will contact customer care for clarification, thank you.

Comment

Uhm, wow. What happened to the Customer Care contact form? I filled out every detail, providing a long description, then pressed submit. What I got was the following error: "There was a problem with reCAPTCHA. Please try again." - and all the form fields I previously filled out, along with the problem description - was gone. Funny thing: There is no captcha input at all on the page. Needless to say, this problem I have a partly workaround for is not worth typing all that data again.

And one big pledge: please have your website staff rethink replacing reCAPTCHA by something more user friendly, there's nothing more annoying (except disappearing data previously entered into form fields) as to endlessly identify pedestrian crossing, cars, storefronts and traffic lights to help some other company (Google) with training their machine learning algorithms.

Comment

Hi Janto,

Please try contacting Customer Care directly at [email protected]. I have already passed on my feedback about the current reCAPTCHA implementation, but the form resetting is new to me, so I will pass that feedback along as well.

Thanks,
                    Tristan H.
                    ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
                    X