My photos imported from phone have no Date Taken (Date Created) in IPTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My photos imported from phone have no Date Taken (Date Created) in IPTC

I use Dopus, a file manager which contains lots of metadata. When I list my pictures in Dopus, or in Windows Explorer, I see Date Taken. I'm going to use that term because that's what I've always seen in any listing of pictures on other software and in file managers, Windows explorer.
    The photos from my phone do contain all of the EXIF metadata dates.

Why doesn't ACDSee Ultimate pick up the date taken. FYI, when I import my photos from my phone, I use PIE software because I like the rename options in that software better than the ones in ACDSee.

I appreciate any help.

Ck
    Attached Files

Hi Ck,

The "Date Created" column you are looking at is from IPTC metadata. I suspect that the field you want to select is either EXIF: Image : Date/Time, or EXIF: Image: Date Created. To add additional columns to the Details view, right click on the column header and click Choose Details. The columns I mentioned are in EXIF > Image.

You can also have a look at the Properties pane, Metadata tab, and change from Default Metadata View to All EXIF in order to check which EXIF field matches the value you want to display. I've attached a screenshot showing how to switch metadata views in the Properties pane.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Tristan,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware that Date Created is an IPTC metadata field. I showed screenshots from Windows Explorer and Dopus File manager and Both of them contain the IPTC Date Created/Date Taken metadata fields. On the Dopus screenshot it is also displaying the EXIF dates metadata. (Date Digitized)

Maybe I wasn't clear with my question... I understand that I can get the date from the EXIF metadata, I just wonder why ACDSee does NOT show the IPTC Date Created - but Windows Explorer and Dopus File manager (and 2 other file managers that I've used) do indeed show the IPTC and EXIF date metadata.

So we know the IPTC Date Created/Date Taken exists in the photos metadata, but ACDSee isn't picking it up.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Ck,

I found a photo with the 'Date Taken' field visible in File Explorer, then used ExifTool to change various date fields until I found one that changed the Date Taken field in File Explorer.

It appears that Explorer's Date Taken field is mapped from the EXIF: Create Date field (at least in my image). In ACDSee, this field is mapped to EXIF: Image: Date/Time Digitized, not Date/Time Original as I had thought. Please see if this field will display the date you expect, either in the Properties pane, or as a tab in the main file view.

As far as I can tell, Explorer's Date Taken has nothing to do with IPTC. I could be wrong though, as this is all just experimentation on my part. Maybe Explorer will take a value from one of several different fields, using some IPTC field if it exists, or falling back to EXIF: Create Date if it does not. If it is taking its value from IPTC in your case, it would seem it is a field that ACDSee does not support.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
        X