Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People Manager, Face Detection - just a awful interface....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Manager, Face Detection - just a awful interface....

I am struggling to get the people manager and face detection to work. It simply does not work. I develop software and business process for a living - I am normally very quick with new and unknown software. In general, the menu structure, functionality within ACDSee Ultimate 2020 is plain simple awful.

Looking at the help files is just making me more confused. If I had produced software and help files at this level, I would have been dismissed. Let be more specific. I am trying to use 'Face Detection' in Manage mode. I got thousands of pictures, they are all catalogued. Let's follow the step in your help file, 'Detecting Faces in Manage Mode'.

In Manage Mode, I go down to a folder where I got selected few pictures. All my pictures are saved in syntax YYYY / MM / DD. I select a folder, select 'Face Detection', all selectable items are not available. Lets select Tools, Managed People. Then I got a message "Use the People Manager to remove, and rename people."

~

Back to the help file, searching for People Manager. Is the menu called 'People Manager' or 'Manage People'. Where is the quality control at ACDSEE? According to the help files, select Tools, Manage People. Then to Detect Names, select a name or Ctrl + click. There is no name to select, and Ctrl + click closes the window.

Is the function 'Catalog Files' completed? Yes, it is. It took three days! Let's do it again for this folder only. Select Tools, Database, Catalog Files, the setting looks to be correct. ACDSee Face Data is clicked, catalog all files and build and include thumbnails in the database. Takes just a few seconds to run, most likely since the data is already generated.

I have used PicaView is it was created. Loved it. Used older version of ACDSee Photo. (Started looking at other alternatives.) Renewed my license for ACDSee Photo Ultimate 2020 for two installations. I have now spent a few days using this software and will categorize it as CRAP. In short, BUGS, awfull menus, inconsistent menu selections, help text that is more or less useless. The ACDSee Software got the potential to be great. It requires a complete redesign in the GUI and help text.

Am I the only one?

No you're not alone! Neither "Face detection" nor "Text" functions as desired!

Comment

No you're not alone, Ultimate 2020 crashes with my number of Pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by MBangert View Post
        No, you're not alone, Ultimate 2020 crashes with my number of Pictures.
        I now got Face Detection to work, but what an awful GUI. I got a fast desktop with SSD disks, plenty of memory. The operation is slow, not what you expect with today's technology. The thinking behind the ACDSee functionality but the implementation and GUI is second class. The database is just optimized. The optimization of the database is very limited. What type of database are they running? Why not build a version of ACDSee Ultimate where the database is MS-SQL or similar? Then database maintenance, optimization, backup, migration and more could be done more efficiently. No need to have this embedded within ACDSee. That would allow ACDSee to focus on what they are good at and the DB people to do their bit.

Comment

+1 on the SQL (NoSQL,MySQL, etc.)... I would certainly like to an non-proprietary SQL instance running on a second set of hardware.

But I think there are a few reasons why there is not a modern database
          a) It will be a real pain to recreate the schema and associated calls and dependencies (just becasue it is tough, doen't mean it houldn;t be done... lets just say this is not a trivial excercise.
          b) Having an SQL instance running on the local machine (let alone a remote instance) may cause some users to fret (I bet support questions will go through the roof)
          c) The present database works. From inspection, I don't think through is throttled by the database calls.... to me it seems more like the scanning methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
            +1 on the SQL (NoSQL,MySQL, etc.)... I would certainly like to an non-proprietary SQL instance running on a second set of hardware.

But I think there are a few reasons why there is not a modern database
            a) It will be a real pain to recreate the schema and associated calls and dependencies (just becasue it is tough, doen't mean it houldn;t be done... lets just say this is not a trivial excercise.
            b) Having an SQL instance running on the local machine (let alone a remote instance) may cause some users to fret (I bet support questions will go through the roof)
            c) The present database works. From inspection, I don't think through is throttled by the database calls.... to me it seems more like the scanning methodology.
            It is a question of where ACDSee want to take their software. I understand many of your points. "The present database works" is debatable, it depends of your reference and your definition of "works". My background is big corporate databases, multiple uses, complex integrations and more. Yes, it got a different price tag. ACDSee, need to move their product offering in that direction. If not a few things will happen:
            a) Someone else will take the marked.
            b) One of the big software suppliers or cloud suppliers will release something.
            c) ACDSee as a company will be purchased. They could be purchased for two reasons. a) Get the customer base. b) Get ACDSee's technology.

I have been away from picture editing for a few years now. General life got in the way, What I have seen over the last few months. ACDSee needs to step up. What they are currently delivering fell short on several fronts.

Sorry - Love PicaView - not so mutch ACDSee Ultimate....

Comment

Yea, I know a little bit about enterprise database instances (SAP HANA, VoltDB, MEMSQL, Redis, etc.). As stated, these high price options are not in the same league as one might run as a local instance. But, there are FOSS options like NoSQL that are years ahead. Every year I put in my request for the devs to update the backend ad open up the schema for reading.

WIth an open schema, I can do all kinds of things. (I did just notice the ACD SDK, maybe there is something there that will allow 3rd party apps read- access the dB)

Also every year, I become disgruntled and spend a couple weeks developing my own DAM. I have a workable schema but my indexing algorithm is not very far along. Then, life gets in the way, and I use ACD as-is for another year.

Comment

I don't know if the right persons from ACDSee are reading this. A few simple suggestions for improvements for People Manager, and search.

- If you are using Face Detection you are starting getting a long list of names and faces in People Manager. What about being able to make groups and move the different individual into groups. That would be a quick win. Remember one individual must be able to be a member of more than one group.
                - Right-click on the individual should give you some options like Search for pictures.
                - Right-click on the individual and set the manual people to catalogue you want to assign for that individual. If set, the catalogue flag is set, but only set for confirmed individuals.

Manage Mode, Panels and Search

It is not intuitive or easy to search on pictures where an individual have been identified. From Manage Mode, select Panes, Search. In the properties panel on the right type in the individual name. (It would have been nice with a drop-down menu of names identified. If you type in the name and hit search. It will list all pictures where that face is identified. This is how I think it currently works.

There are some strange behaviours. The search is sort of correct, but there are some odd pictures turning up. The name search in is not identified on the picture, the name is not part of the file name or any other category. Some incorrect pictures still show up. Optimising the database, Rebuilding Thumbnails and Metadata. No difference.

Search of a combination of people

I would think the point of face recognition is to be able to later search for selected individuals and found their pictures? It is not that easy or intuitive. Using the panel search you can only search for one name. If you want to find all pictures where two individuals are tougher on the same pictures. (I would classify that a basic.) I cannot see how you can do that with ACDSee Ultimate 2020 how the application works today.

Even if you set the individual name manually by Catalogs. You cannot make that search. Let's say you got two names defined in Catalog as People/Family A/John Smith and People/Family Z/Mary Manger. You can sadly not search and exclusively only get pictures where both of them are present. (This is basic.)

Comment

Hi mogle,

I think you might find a lot of your searching workflows easier by using the Catalog pane in Manage mode. By default, this is docked on the upper left side of the interface with the Folders pane. You can also enable it from Panes > Catalog. The second section in this pane is People, which you can use to search for one or more people at a time. Clicking a person's name will start a search for that person. Unlike the Search pane, which may be returning additional results that match criteria other than the person's name, a search in the Catalog pane will search exclusively for names. See the attached screenshot for the location of the Catalog pane and its People section.

You can also search for multiple people by multi-selecting names using either CTRL + click or by clicking the Easy-Select flags to the left of the names. The gear on the right side of the People section header has options to match either all selected people, or any selected person. It also allows you to change whether the search is on assigned (confirmed) names only, suggested names, or both.

A lot of what I've said also applies to the other sections of the Catalog pane. You can similarly search for assigned ACDSee Categories, ratings, labels, or ACDSee Keywords.

Thanks also for your other feedback. Currently the People Manager is designed more for manipulating the names you have assigned, but I will pass your feedback about starting a search from it on to the ACDSee Product Team.

Thanks,
                  Tristan H.
                  ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
                  X