Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Sync - Feature request for additional subfolder option

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mobile Sync - Feature request for additional subfolder option

    The mobile sync app doesn't currently support my naming convention.

    I'm using the YYYY-MM-DD sub folder option but I would like to group by year.

    YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD

    A custom option would be the perfect solution.

  • #2
    Originally posted by micko View Post
    The mobile sync app doesn't currently support my naming convention.

    I'm using the YYYY-MM-DD sub folder option but I would like to group by year.

    YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD

    A custom option would be the perfect solution.
    I can't see the benefit with that syntax. YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD

    Comment


    • #3
      It's how my library is structured. "YYYY-MM-DD - Description" is a common format. I'm grouping by year to reduce the sub folder count under the parent directory.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder structure.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	51705
      Last edited by micko; 02-17-2020, 05:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi micko,

        Please check the Subfolders setting in the app's settings page. I think that changing it to "Date Taken (YYYY)" should accomplish what you are trying to do.

        Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for taking the time to reply Tristan H but it's not what I'm chasing. That places all photos into the year folder. I still want my "YYYY-MM-DD" sub folders but under the year folder, hence my feature request.

          I've switched from an older version of Lightroom 5 (2013) - before subscriptions and this is how it was configured.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi micko,

            I see now that I misread your original post a bit, thought you were renaming the files to YYYY-MM-DD and just wanted them in a yearly subfolder. Unfortunately, as you say, your folder structure is currently not possible. I've sent your feedback about a custom option to the ACDSee Product Team for possible consideration in a future update to Mobile Sync.

            The only workaround I can see for this workflow is to sync the files to a temporary location, then in ACDSee, use Import to place them in nested subfolders by file date using your template, and enable the "Delete items from source after import" option. Not ideal, but it will organize them the way you want.

            Thanks,
            Tristan H.
            ACD Systems

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
              Hi micko,

              I see now that I misread your original post a bit, thought you were renaming the files to YYYY-MM-DD and just wanted them in a yearly subfolder. Unfortunately, as you say, your folder structure is currently not possible. I've sent your feedback about a custom option to the ACDSee Product Team for possible consideration in a future update to Mobile Sync.

              The only workaround I can see for this workflow is to sync the files to a temporary location, then in ACDSee, use Import to place them in nested subfolders by file date using your template, and enable the "Delete items from source after import" option. Not ideal, but it will organize them the way you want.

              Thanks,
              Tristan H.
              ACD Systems
              This is how I do it. Same file structure. YYYY-MM-DD

              Performing a "second import" with delete items from source after import gives you better control.

              I have found one troublesome issue, that really bugs me. I used the date taken. For some pictures and random, it looks like ACDSee is not pickup up the correct date. It imports the pictures to incorrect dates. Sometimes the year is incorrect. Sometimes the complete string YYYY-MM-DD is incorrect. It really messes up my picture archive system. After import, I then need to manually find and move the imported pictures. Then I used the function to rename the file name to date taken. I can then see the picture name is correct, the directory is incorrect.

              micko Sorry, if taken your discussion in a different direction. This issue is the same or related.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi mogle,

                Import uses files' Date Modified, so files that have been on your file system for a while and may have been edited could have a different date than you are expecting. However, importing from the original source should generally keep the date modified the same as the original date the photos were shot. I've also rechecked Mobile Sync iOS and Android and confirmed that it does not change date modified on a sync.

                Thanks,
                Tristan H.
                ACD Systems

                Comment

                Working...
                X