Thumbnail exist but no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbnail exist but no picture

For several pictures, I got a Thumbnail, but no picture or file exists. In Manage, Photos or View mode the Thumbnail exists. Select and click on the picture gives and error that no picture exists. If you click on Yes to the error message. The Thumbnail is removed.

It is bloody irritating. I can even set the category, place, people on the Thumbnail. No error. When I embed metadate to all pictures. It spins through and updates the pictures without reporting any errors. The embedded picture count in incorrect. The missing files are not embedded.

By using the Special Item Search for Embedded Pending. You will see the Thumbnail. It is still there.

You would think 'Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata' would fix the data? But no. The Thumbnails still exist after the rebuild.

What about Database optimization? Same crap. Even when you select 'Remove missing Thumbnail' there are still there. What is the next step?

I have been thinking of exporting the database, creating a new database, then re-import. There must be another way! Any suggestions?

TOOLS / Database / Maintenance removes tumbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Edvard View Post
      TOOLS / Database / Maintenance removes tumbs.
      It might remove some. Most of mine are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by mogle View Post
        What about Database optimization? Same crap. Even when you select 'Remove missing Thumbnail' there are still there. What is the next step?
        This isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Here's a sample, how drive mapping and AC optimization work in AC.

The following list shows the "image well" in AC with a number of files catalogued and located on different storage:
        Code:
        file name     path                                    Description
        image.jpg     \\nas\QNAP-Share                        located on Qnap share          
        image.jpg     \\pc2\fotos\MS-Share                    located on ms-share            
        Image.jpg     E:\USB-Drive                            located on external usb drive
        Image.jpg     D:\test\Symbolic link clones\MS-Share   located on ms-share
        Image.jpg     D:\test\Symbolic link clones\QNAP-Share located on Qnap-share
        Image.jpg     D:\test\Symbolic links\MS-Share         located on ms-share
        Image.jpg     D:\test\Symbolic links\QNAP-Share       located on Qnap-share
        Image.jpg     D:\test\                                local drive
        Image.jpg     D:\test\Mount points\USB(E)\USB-Drive   located on external usb drive

I also had "\\nas\QNAP-Share" assigned to drive letter "Q:" and "\\pc2\fotos\MS-Share" assigned to drive letter "M:". They both don't appear in the list because AC recognizes mapped paths like "Q:\image.jpg" and replaces them with the corresponding share paths.

After cataloguing all these files I removed them from all resource and ran "database optimization" in AC. Here's the resulting "image well":
        Code:
        file name    path                                     Description
        image.jpg    \\nas\QNAP-Share                         located on Qnap share          
        image.jpg    \\pc2\fotos\MS-Share                     located on ms-share            
        Image.jpg    E:\USB-Drive                             located on external usb drive 
        As you can see AC optimizes all, except network shares and external drives. I learned that this is done for safety reasons: No one would want to have data purged just because the storage currently/accidentally isn't connected/accessible.
        Last edited by Emil; 03-11-2020, 04:00 AM. Reason: code formatting

Comment

Emil Thank you for that explanation. This might explain some of the issues I am having.

Comment

Emil I took your advice, I cannot see any difference.

I walked through the list of maintenance. Removed all thumbnails, optimised database, catalogue files. Same thing. I got a list of thumbnail that I manually need to remove. They will also only be removed one-by-one. Very timeconsuming. I have removed 2/3rd of them. Got another 1K to go.

My main concern is - why does it happen? I am unable to pinpoint why I got these empty thumbnail. The good news, I can't see any more them coming. I got two or three open tickets with ACDSee Support. Their response at this point is very slow, and the response I have had have not been helpful. Time for another cup of tea, before I delete some more thumbnails.....

Comment

Where have you're files which no are orphaned been located?

Since decades this subject turns up several times a year in the forums.

Comment

All my pictures are located on one large dedicated SSD Drive. The drive is an internal drive on a different Windows 10 Pro Levono ThinkCentre desktop. I am working on another Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop with a wired connection.

The share is not mapped. I access the pictures in the following folder syntax:

\\DESKTOPNAME\Photo\YYYY\MM\DD\Filename.jpg

The desktop I am working from got ACDSee installed locally. The database is located on an external SSE Drive.

Both desktops are running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bits, 16GB, Corei7.

I have seen several discussions on this subject without getting the issue resolved. ACDSee is installed on both desktops with individual databases. This is done for testing only. I am the only one working on the pictures. All pictures work is done from my main desktop.

Where are the orphans located? When orphans occur there are plenty within the same folder. Now I only got a few more folders to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                  Where have you're files which no are orphaned been located?

Since decades this subject turns up several times a year in the forums.
                  If the subject is frequently debated; it tells me two things:

a) There is a bug. A random bug can be very difficult to reproduce and therefore more difficult to fix.

b) The GUI or user interface is not fit for purpose.

Comment

Working...
                  X