No announcement yet.

Run Batch jobs as a scheduled activity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Batch jobs as a scheduled activity?

There are some good functionalities under the Batch menu. You can easily start a job or update several pictures at the same. The functionality can be improved. First of all, it bugs me that the application ACDSee Ultimate is frozen when the job or batch you created are executed. The errors you could get are limited.
    Can I suggest the following:
    • A console where you can create, schedule and monitoring the batch you created.
    • Every batch job got its own unique batch number reference. This is will help with logging, error handling, possible troubleshooting.
    • A batch job can be scheduled to run at a later time.
    This would allow me to:
    • Allow me to continue working on other pictures and or folders.
    • Create a bunch of batch jobs and allow them to run when my computer is idle. Or I can schedule them to run overnight.
    What do you think?

That would be a rather nice feature to have. I also would like to run regularly scheduled batch jobs that involve external program. ACDsee lacks quite a bit in cataloging images. I am currently finding ways to work around this using exiftool. There are a bunch of such exiftool commands I need to execute along with commands from ACDsee like (re-) cataloging files. The whole process takes several hours so it would be nice if I can schedule this to run during nighttime.

Comment

Originally posted by mala View Post
      I am currently finding ways to work around this using exiftool.
      I have looked at a few external tools, some of them are really good. I am sceptical to them since updates of your pictures outside the ACDSee framework can screw up your database. For example, if you added or updated some metadata with exiftool, the update is not visible within ACDSee. You will need to perform a 'catalog files' to see the updates you did with exiftool.

Have you seen any issues like that?

Comment

ACD has recently released an SDK that may help.

Comment

Originally posted by mogle View Post
          I am sceptical to them since updates of your pictures outside the ACDSee framework can screw up your database. For example, if you added or updated some metadata with exiftool, the update is not visible within ACDSee. You will need to perform a 'catalog files' to see the updates you did with exiftool.
          Hardly anyone will fumble with proprietary AC meta data from the outside of AC, but working with IPTC meta data works well for me. The database gets updated when browsing the files.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
            working with IPTC meta data .
            +1;
            There is also this...https://python3-exiv2.readthedocs.io.../tutorial.html

Comment

Working...
            X