tif files won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

You might be interested in this DPReview thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/5985675 which starts out with...
    "Recently I started to use Capture One LE for converting the raw files from my 10D to 16-bit TIFFs and there is one (minor) problem which I'd like to consult with you here. What I get are 2-page TIFFs, where the 1st page is the image itself and the 2nd page is a thumbnail. I cannot find out how to say CaptureOne NOT to produce 2-page tiffs..."

and winds up some posts later with ..

"I found relevant information at the official support site for CaptureOne. It was in the forum archives, somebody already asked the same question. Here is the official answer:

Yes, C1LE DOES create a 2-page tiff, it automatically adds a 2-nd page with a thumbnail of the image. You do not see it in most software (like PS), you can only see the second page in those softwares, which support multipage tiffs (like ACDSee). The authors of C1LE plan to make this only optional in the future, but for the moment this feature of C1LE can NOT be turned off. They state, that somewhere in ACDSee you can choose, that it ignores the second page (they do not know where exactly) but I have now went through all the settings and did not find anything like that. Hence, I have to live with the 2-page tiffs, which is very annoying when you use ACDSee."

If that is what it is also in your case, then perhaps just export a copy of the first page as a standard TIFF from ACDSee and work on from there, as the thumbnail on page 2 would probably be of no use to you anyhow once you make changes to the image.
    Thanks, Greyfox. I appreciate your input. I've been looking in Photo Lab for an option to export a single page Tiff, but I have not found it. The image I posted above is all the options I have available for export. Other software like Lightroom, and Luminar, will ignore the extra pages without issues, so I wonder why ACDSee works this way.

This seems like something that can be improved in ACDSee, but maybe there's a reason for this which I don't know about.

Hector

Comment

Originally posted by hectorsm View Post

Thanks, Greyfox. I appreciate your input. I've been looking in Photo Lab for an option to export a single page Tiff, but I have not found it. The image I posted above is all the options I have available for export. Other software like Lightroom, and Luminar, will ignore the extra pages without issues, so I wonder why ACDSee works this way.
      In this instance what you have is a multi-page TIFF that arguably shouldn't be. As I understand it, the application that produced it has added the embedded low res JPG from the original image as a second page when it exported the TIFF. Perhaps that software should have to option of creating a single page TIFF.

As was noted in the posts I linked to, some software that can't display multi-page TIFF's only displays the first page. Luminar 4 can't display multi-page TIFF's so it only displays the first page, as is also currently the case with Affinity Photo.

For genuine multi-page TIFF's, applications being only able to display a single page might be considered a shortcoming, not an advantage, and being able to at least display the pages in ACDSee's View mode is a step forward from that.

With the multi-page TIFF's I have here, ACDSee Ultimate's Edit mode opens them as single layer image, the same as they open in Luminar 4, or in Affinity Photo, so I can process them in Edit mode and then export them as a single page image in whatever format I choose.

This seems like something that can be improved in ACDSee, but maybe there's a reason for this which I don't know about.
      The improvement perhaps would be if ACDSee could give the option of opening them as a single multi-layer image, or as individual images (pages), as can be done in GIMP.

Being able to open them as a multi-layer image would by definition only be possible in a version that supports layers, and being able to open them as individual images would require the ability to open the pages in Tabs, so not a simple change, and I wonder how many users would actually make serious use of it.

GIMP incidentally opens multi-page TIFF's with the option of either having the pages as layers, or as individual images. It can also export multi-page TIFF's. It also can be used as an external editor from ACDSee's manage mode.
      Last edited by Greyfox; 04-14-2022, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I've contacted DXO support about getting a single page Tiff exported. I'm just curious to know what they have to say.

Hector

Comment

Just wanted to post this "solution" for the benefit of anyone who might be having the same issue.

Someone in the DXO forum suggested that I export to a linear DNG my PL5 raw edits. That seems to work well. I have not fully tested everything yet, so far, I'm not having any issues and it reduces the steps in my workflow. Therefore, all I have to do from now on, is to make sure I export everything from another software as a DNG file before importing it into ACDSee. I think most software packages out there will support DNG.

I have not gotten a formal response from DXO yet regarding the Tiff exports, but that does not matter much at this point.

Thanks to everyone for providing feedback on this!

Hector

Comment

I see no mention of the possibility that the file is set/seen as Read Only. Check file properties, the first thing I would do if it were me. If you could provide the file that would be helpful.
            Last edited by Regor250; 04-20-2022, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
              I see no mention of the possibility that the file is set/seen as Read Only. Check file properties, the first thing I would do if it were me. If you could provide the file that would be helpful.
              Here's a download link from Filemail. I checked and It's not read only.

https://www.filemail.com/d/djgyzhhmcfunonj

thanks,

Hector

Comment

Originally posted by hectorsm View Post

Here's a download link from Filemail. I checked and It's not read only.
                The download is a two page TIFF. Opens OK in ACDSee Ultimate 2022 View mode - see screen shot below.
                It also opens a a single page 4016 x 6016 x 48 bit single page TIFF in U2022's Edit mode.

Strangely whilst it only opens as a single page TIFF in Edit mode, if I export it from there without making any changes as a TIFF, the exported TIFF remains as two page, however if I make a change, the exported TIFF becomes a single page that can be opened in Develop Mode.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Two page Tiff.jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.2 KB ID:	60402

Last edited by Greyfox; 04-20-2022, 11:16 PM.

Comment

View mode with multipage TIFF seems broken to me:

ACv8 vs ACv15:

Click image for larger version

Name:	v8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	60406Click image for larger version

Name:	v15.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	60407

Try attached sample.

After switching to edit mode in v15 the colours seem correct to me. Just select the page you want and switch to edit mode.
                  Switching to develop mode of course isn't possible. AC never supported developing multipage TIFF.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                    View mode with multipage TIFF seems broken to me:
                    The colors here in U2022 v15.1 build 2022 View Mode seem OK here

Click image for larger version  Name:	Multipage Tiff.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.5 KB ID:	60411
                    I wonder whether it might be something with the German version ?
                    Last edited by Greyfox; 04-21-2022, 03:02 AM.

Comment

From the 15.1 2922 changelog:

!! Fixed an issue that prevented certain multipage .tif files from displaying all pages in View mode.

Comment

The download is a two page TIFF. Opens OK in ACDSee Ultimate 2022 View mode - see screen shot below.
                        It also opens a a single page 4016 x 6016 x 48 bit single page TIFF in U2022's Edit mode.

Strangely whilst it only opens as a single page TIFF in Edit mode, if I export it from there without making any changes as a TIFF, the exported TIFF remains as two page, however if I make a change, the exported TIFF becomes a single page that can be opened in Develop Mode.

Click image for larger version Name:	Two page Tiff.jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.2 KB ID:	60402
                        I've noticed the same thing too. Maybe the tiff is "flattened" when it get saved. But, I'm not really sure what's going behind the scenes.

DNG might be a better way to go. I'll be giving that a try the next time I need to do an external edit. It only about 5-10% of my total file edits anyway.

Thanks!

Hector

Comment

Originally posted by AliGW View Post
                          From the 15.1 2922 changelog:
                          My Tiffs are displaying correctly in View mode (two pages), so the specific issue motioned in the release notes was not affecting me. It looks like maybe there were certain Tiffs that did not display correctly in View mode for some people. The issue that OP brought up was related to the Developer mode which is the same issue I have.

I'll be using DNG exports from now on, that should hopefully solve the issue.

thanks!

Hector

Comment

The colors here in U2022 v15.1 build 2022 View Mode seem OK here
                            I'm using Build 2922 from 2022-04-13. The faulty image shown is page 3, page 1 seems OK.

Comment

Ultimate 2022 Build 2922

If I load Hector's into Edit, I get just one page. It won't open in Develop mode.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by AliGW; 04-21-2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AliGW View Post
                                Ultimate 2022 Build 2922

If I load Hector's into Edit, I get just one page. It won't open in Develop mode.
                                That is correct. ACDSee Ultimate only really supports viewing Multipage TIFF's in View Mode.

It doesn't support multi-page or multi-layer TIFF's at all in Develop mode.
                                By default Edit mode will open the TIFF as a single page (first page) only, however as Emil has mentioned, if you open the TIFF in View mode, select a different page and then switch to Edit mode, Edit will open that page only.

Comment

Working...
                                X