• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thenax
    • Apr 2020

tif files won't work

Hello
    many TIFF files (small and big) won't work on acdsee ultimate 2020: I got this error "source data format is not recognized"
    However, these tif files can be edit with any external editor
    In tools-> files associations, all the files are checked
    why?
    Last edited by thenax; 04-21-2020, 01:59 PM.
  • GusPanella
    Pro Member
    • Mar 2015
    • ​Compute: i7-6700, 16GB RAM, 1T SSD
      ​Video: 3810 x 2160; 2GB RAM
      ​Network: Wireless 802.3ac, 1GB Ethernet
      ​Storage: A couple Multi-TB NAS
      ​OS: Win10

ACD doesn't support tif files with multiple pages. To convert from multipage to single page.
    Rt. Click > Batch > Convert file Format > TIF Convert

Comment

• thenax
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
      ACD doesn't support tif files with multiple pages. To convert from multipage to single page.
      Rt. Click > Batch > Convert file Format > TIF Convert
      it isn't that one the problem....I tried to merge the tiff but acdsee reply always with "source data format is not recognized"

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.JPG
Views:	981
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	52497
      Attached Files

Comment

• mcosgrove
        Administrator
        • Oct 2013

Hello,

Please note that ACDSee does support multipage TIFF files. If you have a multipage TIFF file that ACDSee cannot decode, please contact ACD Customer Care, and if possible, please send them a test image.

Regards,
        Mark

Comment

• GusPanella
          Pro Member
          • Mar 2015
          • ​Compute: i7-6700, 16GB RAM, 1T SSD
            ​Video: 3810 x 2160; 2GB RAM
            ​Network: Wireless 802.3ac, 1GB Ethernet
            ​Storage: A couple Multi-TB NAS
            ​OS: Win10

mcosgrove, I have always used the TIF convert when I see the error stated by the OP. And it always happens with multipage TIF. And the TIF Convert fixes things. The convert tool changes things from multiple pages to single pages. I always thought that was the workflow.

Comment

• mcosgrove
            Administrator
            • Oct 2013

ACDSee, for many versions, has supported viewing multipage TIFF files. Please see the example below. If you have multipage TIFF that ACDSee cannot view, please consider contacting Customer Care.

Regards,
            Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiff.png
Views:	976
Size:	549.2 KB
ID:	52511

Comment

• thenax
              • Apr 2020

I followed this steps and now it works

?-Start ACDSee Ultimate 2020
              -Go to Tools | Database | Quarantine Files..
              -Uncheck the box Enable Quarantine
              -Click OK

Comment

• sdommin
                • Feb 2019

I had this same problem and thenax's solution worked for me. It's not a "Multipage TIF" problem.
                Last edited by sdommin; 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• jodzeee
                  • Oct 2014

Unchecking "Enable Quarantine" worked for me. Thanks thenax!

Comment

• hectorsm
                    • Dec 2021

Originally posted by thenax View Post
                    I followed this steps and now it works

?-Start ACDSee Ultimate 2020
                    -Go to Tools | Database | Quarantine Files..
                    -Uncheck the box Enable Quarantine
                    -Click OK
                    Unfortunately, for me, unchecking "Enable Quarantine" did not work. I'm using ACDSee Ultimate 2022. Note: this only happens when I go to develop mode.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-12 192607.png Views:	0 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	60231​​​​

The Tiff comes from DXO Photolab 5.

I will also contact customer care as instructed.

Hector
                    Last edited by hectorsm; 04-12-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Greyfox
                      Ultimate Member
                      • May 2020

Originally posted by hectorsm View Post
                      I will also contact customer care as instructed.
                      That is the best approach, however I think the answer will be that whilst ACDSee can VIEW multi-page TIFF's, it can't Develop them.
                      If I open a multi page TIFF in VIEW mode, I can see and select the individual pages.
                      If I try to open it in Develop I see the message "Cannot process selected file

But if I open it in Edit, it will open as a single page and if I then select Develop Mode I see the message "Multi-page images cannot be developed" as shown below

Click image for larger version  Name:	Multipage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.0 KB ID:	60233

Comment

• hectorsm
                        • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

That is the best approach, however I think the answer will be that whilst ACDSee can VIEW multi-page TIFF's, it can't Develop them.
                        If I open a multi page TIFF in VIEW mode, I can see and select the individual pages.
                        If I try to open it in Develop I see the message "Cannot process selected file

But if I open it in Edit, it will open as a single page and if I then select Develop Mode I see the message "Multi-page images cannot be developed" as shown below

Click image for larger version Name:	Multipage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.0 KB ID:	60233
                        I see. I sometimes use other software to do certain specialized developing. This mean that I'll need to do all the developing in DXO before I bring it back to ACDSee. Either that, or I need to resave the Tiff as a single page Tiff in ADCSee and then complete any additional developing in there. Not the best workflow, but at least there's a workaround.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Hector

Comment

• Greyfox
                          Ultimate Member
                          • May 2020

I see. I sometimes use other software to do certain specialized developing. This mean that I'll need to do all the developing in DXO before I bring it back to ACDSee. Either that, or I need to resave the Tiff as a single page Tiff in ADCSee and then complete any additional developing in there. Not the best workflow, but at least there's a workaround.
                          Out of interest, are these actually multi-page TIFF's (each page a different image), or multi-layer TIFF's?

Comment

• hectorsm
                            • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Out of interest, are these actually multi-page TIFF's (each page a different image), or multi-layer TIFF's?
                            I think it's a multi-page or two page Tiff since the image on the second page is very small (possibly) a thumbnail. That's the way DXO exports the Tiffs. I'm not seeing a setting allow to skip the thumbnail or preview image. Here is what the export window looks like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-14 180220.png Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	60267

I got a response from support about this issue. They responded within 24 hours which is very quick in my opinion. They suggested that I convert the image as others here have suggested. That means that re-exporting the image back to Tiff only way to process that type of file in ACDsee. I've been doing that already, so I suggested that they consider improving the Tiff support in a future release.

thenax... my apologies if I hijacked your thread.

Hector​

Comment

• Greyfox
                              Ultimate Member
                              • May 2020

I think it's a multi-page or two page Tiff since the image on the second page is very small (possibly) a thumbnail. That's the way DXO exports the Tiffs. I'm not seeing a setting allow to skip the thumbnail or preview image.
                              You might be interested in this DPReview thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/5985675 which starts out with...
                              "Recently I started to use Capture One LE for converting the raw files from my 10D to 16-bit TIFFs and there is one (minor) problem which I'd like to consult with you here. What I get are 2-page TIFFs, where the 1st page is the image itself and the 2nd page is a thumbnail. I cannot find out how to say CaptureOne NOT to produce 2-page tiffs..."

and winds up some posts later with ..

"I found relevant information at the official support site for CaptureOne. It was in the forum archives, somebody already asked the same question. Here is the official answer:

Yes, C1LE DOES create a 2-page tiff, it automatically adds a 2-nd page with a thumbnail of the image. You do not see it in most software (like PS), you can only see the second page in those softwares, which support multipage tiffs (like ACDSee). The authors of C1LE plan to make this only optional in the future, but for the moment this feature of C1LE can NOT be turned off. They state, that somewhere in ACDSee you can choose, that it ignores the second page (they do not know where exactly) but I have now went through all the settings and did not find anything like that. Hence, I have to live with the 2-page tiffs, which is very annoying when you use ACDSee."

If that is what it is also in your case, then perhaps just export a copy of the first page as a standard TIFF from ACDSee and work on from there, as the thumbnail on page 2 would probably be of no use to you anyhow once you make changes to the image.

Last edited by Greyfox; 04-14-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X