Current image size display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current image size display

If I open say a 3600 x 2401 px image in ACDSee PS Ultimate 2020, and then in Edit crop the image, I know that the actual pixel size selected by dragging the crop grid is shown in the left hand panel, however once the crop has been done and I'm back in the edit screen is there any display of the current pixel size of the image?
    The Info Palette and the status bar at the bottom of the screen only display the original image size.

OK, I'm pretty sure that in Edit, after a crop and short of going into Resize, the new size is not displayed anywhere, and in particular the info Palette continues to show the original size.

The same applies to an image that has been resized.

I think this is wrong, if the size of the image is changed, then the info palette should be updated to show the new (current) size.

This is perhaps a product improvement suggestion.

Comment

This is a tricky one... The problem I couldn't resolve was the image really isn't a new size until a "Save" or "Save As" is performed. But indeed, it is being displayed in the new size.
      The good news is that when opening a crop for a second time, the size is displayed correctly

One thing that is strange is crop and flip seem to operate on all images in the stack where other edit commands only operate on the layer that is selected.

Maybe that Info pallet needs rework for an image as it is edited. Certainly the lens used is no longer represented and file size is no longer representative on the image taken by the original camera?

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
        This is a tricky one... The problem I couldn't resolve was the image really isn't a new size until a "Save" or "Save As" is performed. But indeed, it is being displayed in the new size.
        The good news is that when opening a crop for a second time, the size is displayed correctly

One thing that is strange is crop and flip seem to operate on all images in the stack where other edit commands only operate on the layer that is selected.

Maybe that Info pallet needs rework for an image as it is edited. Certainly the lens used is no longer represented and file size is no longer representative on the image taken by the original camera?
        Gus,
        In all of the software I have, a crop applies to the whole image. I look at it as basically changing the size of the canvas.

Ultimate's crop is non destructive (up until you save the image) as you pointed out, however once the image has been cropped, and until or if you re-crop the image, the image you see and work on after a crop is a different size to what it was before the crop. For me, displaying the current image size is more important than displaying a size that no long applies. If the current size were to be shown, I think it would make sense to show it instead of the original size in the Info palette. That could be done without changes to the UI.

I think the lens information is still relevant, because any geometric correction that has been applied from calibration data for that particular lens is applied across the whole image, and would still apply over what ever area is left after the crop.

For some reason, the original file size is shown twice, in the Info palette, and also in the bottom status bar. As soon as the file is loaded into memory, that file size arguably becomes irrelevant (particularly if the file was heavily compressed), but short of using a crystal ball to foresee way the image will be exported, the original file size is about all that could be reasonably shown.

My ten cents worth

Comment

Working...
        X