Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to catalogue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long to catalogue

    I currently use two PC's sharing the photo's folder, so I often have to run the catalogue function. On the laptop it'll take about 4 hours, but on my desktop it takes about 10 hours.
    Is this normal, does it actually get quicker?

  • #2
    Perform Optmize Database and Database Maintenance first, then Catalog on desktop. I recommend the same for a laptop.

    Comment


    • #3
      I guess it should be possible having the database in a folder on dropbox or similar so that the two installations actually share the database? Obviously would not work if both computers are active at the same time, but should work otherwise?

      Disclaimer, I have not tried this, so test at your own risk!

      Niels

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by njlarsen View Post
        I guess it should be possible having the database in a folder on dropbox or similar so that the two installations actually share the database? Obviously would not work if both computers are active at the same time, but should work otherwise?

        Disclaimer, I have not tried this, so test at your own risk!

        Niels
        I tried this with using my Synology NAS, but it would never work because i had Synology Drive on the C: drive on the laptop and the D: drive on the desktop, so they were always complaining. about an unmounted drive. Also I have a different user name on both PC's,

        I have bought a new 2TB SSD so that my catalogue will be on the C: drive on both PC's. When I've finished all my keywording I'll try and get it to work again.

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe it uses the actual volume identification numbers and doesn't care about drive letters. When I've moved actual drives or cloned partitions it hasn't required re-binding for me. I think it would be rather dangerous data integrity wise, but duplicating the data partition on both machines so it shares the same ID and synchronizing both the database and photos before opening ACDSee may work. I'm not sure I'd risk it though without being extremely vigilant of any data loss, and forgetting to synchronize could quickly cause an unfortunate situation.

          Comment


          • #6
            My personal experience, suggests ACD starts breaking or slowing down when using cloud resources that need to sync.

            With regards to cataloging time... I do catalog about 160k images. when I need to rebuild the catalog, I add them one year at time as the tool has never been able to ingest the full directory structure at once.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just moved 28k of photos from hdd to synology NAS. (hardwired through an unmanaged switch) that was very quick. Also copied the database.
              Cataloging took just shy of 18 hours.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am doing the same thing, between two desktops. You did not say anything about memory, processor, are the computers kept optimised? Free disk space, defragmentation and more. I assume they both got their own database located locally? The network between your computers makes a big difference. If you connect with wi-fi to the picture repository everything you do will take longer time. A wired network will speed things up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Riverboat2001 View Post
                  I tried this with using my Synology NAS, but it would never work because i had Synology Drive on the C: drive on the laptop and the D: drive on the desktop, so they were always complaining. about an unmounted drive. Also I have a different user name on both PC's,

                  I have bought a new 2TB SSD so that my catalogue will be on the C: drive on both PC's. When I've finished all my keywording I'll try and get it to work again.
                  I doubt that it was drive C: for your Synology, but who knows. You might want to try something like this:

                  On both, your local desktop pc and on your laptop type:
                  Code:
                  mklink /D "C:\Photos\NAS" "\\NAS\share\Photos"
                  This should create identical symlinks to your shared resource.

                  You also might want to assign other resorces to this hive. like
                  Code:
                  mklink /D "C:\Photos\USB_1" "F:\my_usb-drive"
                  mklink /D "C:\Photos\SD_1" "E:\my_Cardreader"
                  ...
                  With this all your resources with images are addressable from the same folder, which is "c:\Photos".

                  Beware: Ensure to have all devices up and running before starting AC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                    With regards to cataloging time... I do catalog about 160k images. when I need to rebuild the catalog, I add them one year at time as the tool has never been able to ingest the full directory structure at once.
                    So it's not only me!

                    Long time a go, at times when we had 32bit programs only, my AC didn't allow me to catalogue more than 25,000 images in one run. It always crashed on high amounts of images. Like you, I had to feed AC with chunks of my image library.

                    Then with a 64bit release, AC performed much better and I could catalogue all files in an over night job.

                    Now with AC Pro/Ulti 2020 it's even worse. AC always crashes on only 15,000 images. It doesn't even display error dialogues or create crash dumps, it simply terminates. What a mess!


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Emil View Post

                      So it's not only me!

                      Long time a go, at times when we had 32bit programs only, my AC didn't allow me to catalogue more than 25,000 images in one run. It always crashed on high amounts of images. Like you, I had to feed AC with chunks of my image library.

                      Then with a 64bit release, AC performed much better and I could catalogue all files in an over night job.

                      Now with AC Pro/Ulti 2020 it's even worse. AC always crashes on only 15,000 images. It doesn't even display error dialogues or create crash dumps, it simply terminates. What a mess!

                      I don't want to let you have all the fun.

                      I try to be VERY careful with the database... but no matter how careful, it seems I need to re-catalog the whole thing 1x per year (i.e. restore also seems to fail). I am thankful the XMP files work well. This is also part of the reason why I don't use the face detect or ACD specific.


                      This is also about when I typically retry a request for an modern database backend that can ingest the data from 160k+ images overnight.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X