Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using same database on two devices (home-networked)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emil
    replied
    LV_Bill

The reason why I ask. There actually exists an easy method for a shareable hierarchical tag, It's the "shotrcuts" pane, which is just a pointer to a local folder. It's easy to link this folder to a network share which all installations of AC can manage at the same time by adding just short ĺinks (.LNK) to files located on shares too. The downside is, it's not possible to use the AC search functions to find the folder names used in the shortcuts pane if you use short ĺinks.

Imho import/export of meta data currently is completely messed up in AC. Here's a comparison:
    Easiest way to import
    The tag
    How to export
    the tag into the files
    EXIF Browsing the files (3)
    IPTC Browsing the files Return key or
    ‘Apply‘ Button
    XMP Browsing the files Return key or
    ‘Apply‘ Button
    simple AC tags (1) Browsing the files Embedding
    hierarchical AC tags (2) Cataloguing Embedding
    1 Description, Autor, Remark, Label
    2 AC_Keywords, Categories, Collections
    3 not needed, imho doesn‘t make sense
    The worst thing is the need of cataloguing to read hierarchical AC tags. By browsing the files everything seems correct at first. If you don't look closely you will not notice the missing category/collections/AC-keywords assignments.

There's more but I think it's enough blaming for now.

Leave a comment:

• LV_Bill
    replied
    Hi John - What you are doing should work.....as long as you are doing the "right" kind of sync. Some sync operations try to merge the source and destination files. This is NOT the way to go in my opinion. I recommend that you perform a one-way sync that makes the destination drive look identical to the source drive. A key setting in your software to differentiate a merge sync from to true backup sync may be called something like propagate deletions. And, as mentioned earlier, if you embed your metadata, it will travel with your images on the backup drive.

Leave a comment:

• John OM
    replied
    Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
    To startup work on another PC at another location, I simply reverse the process. I use AllwaySync to upload from the backup SSD to sync the next PC's image library. Then I run: Tools > Database > Catalog Files. That's it. Let me wrap up this discussion with a word of caution. File sync software is very powerful, and you must pay very close attention to what you are doing. It is not too difficult to accidentally sync in the wrong direction, and lose precious data.
    This sounds like what I'm already doing. I use a third-party app to back up my desktop SSD every night, and restore it every morning to my laptop. My problem is that files I might delete on one computer don't get deleted on the other (unless I hunt them down manually). I was hoping that file syncing might deal with this automatically.

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Hi John,

I use GoodSync to synchronise my files with backup copies on external drives. You do have to take care when initially setting up the sync tasks to get the right results, and then as LV_Bill has said pay close attention after the analysis run as to what it intends to do, but once you have done it a few times, it isn't difficult..

Leave a comment:

• LV_Bill
    replied
    Hi John - For file syncing the multiple copies of my master image library, I do use a separate software package. There are a lot of file sync packages available, but I have had the best results with one called AllwaySync. For moving between locations and different PC's, my workflow is pretty straightforward.

When I'm done working on my images on one particular PC, I always finish with the same two step process. (1.) In ACDSee, embed metadata using the command: Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata > Embed in All Files. (2.) Run AllwaySync to backup my image library from that PC to a portable backup drive. For serious shoots or for overseas trips, I carry two Samsung 850 500gb SSD backup drives.

To startup work on another PC at another location, I simply reverse the process. I use AllwaySync to upload from the backup SSD to sync the next PC's image library. Then I run: Tools > Database > Catalog Files. That's it. Let me wrap up this discussion with a word of caution. File sync software is very powerful, and you must pay very close attention to what you are doing. It is not too difficult to accidentally sync in the wrong direction, and lose precious data.

Leave a comment:

• John OM
    replied
    Over a decade ago (with some help from Marc Sabatella), I changed my workflow to a totally decentralized architecture. Originally, I had a master networked image database (at my Studio), and I struggled with the multiple PC's each with their own copy of ACDSee, and each with their own "database", plus my home and travel systems. Finally, I reversed direction, and started keeping a separate and duplicate image library on each of my PC's (Studio, Home, and Travel). Duplicating the image library for each PC may sound primitive and almost amateurish. But, in reality, with all the ACD metadata embedded in the images themselves, it's really easy the sync the image libraries. And, with embedded metadata, when you sync the images, you effectively sync the databases at the same time.
    Hi Bill,

Your solution sounds good for my purposes. Can you explain the sync-ing process to novice like myself? Or point me to a good resource? The Help file doesn't really tell me what is actually going on when I sync.

Leave a comment:

• LV_Bill
    replied
    Hi Emil – First off, I must apologize for giving a wrong impression. Poor choice of words on my part. I do not use a replacement software package to manage my ACD metadata. That quote was my way of saying (rather clumsily) that I don't consider any specific ACDSee database to be the "real" database. That's because I migrate between four different PC's in three separate locations (not networked together). Therefore, I've developed a workflow that uses the embedded metadata in my images as my true and official ACDSee database -- aka: My master metadata repository. Let me explain.

Over a decade ago (with some help from Marc Sabatella), I changed my workflow to a totally decentralized architecture. Originally, I had a master networked image database (at my Studio), and I struggled with the multiple PC's each with their own copy of ACDSee, and each with their own "database", plus my home and travel systems. Finally, I reversed direction, and started keeping a separate and duplicate image library on each of my PC's (Studio, Home, and Travel). Duplicating the image library for each PC may sound primitive and almost amateurish. But, in reality, with all the ACD metadata embedded in the images themselves, it's really easy the sync the image libraries. And, with embedded metadata, when you sync the images, you effectively sync the databases at the same time.

Yes, I have to carry a portable HDD with me so I can backup and sync my images, to smoothly migrate between systems. And, you must embed your metadata religiously. But, it is soooo much simpler than my old networked approach. I was constantly fouling up my ACDSee database. One time, I actually lost a substantial portion of my metadata and had to manually recreate it. And, upgrading to updated ACDSee versions used to be terrifying. That was all over a decade ago. All I have to do these days is file sync my images between PC's. The physical ACD database on any given PC acts as a sort of local database "cache" -- active only for the time I spend on that PC. Very simple and, for me, very effective.

Leave a comment:

• Emil
    replied
    Personally, I stopped using the ACD database over ten years ago.
    May I ask, what replacement you use for the hierarchical tags AC-keyword, categories and collections?

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by bmcnich View Post
    That was actually my first thought, however when I try that approach I get an error (#1061) that says that ACDSee is unable to connect to the database.
    If the #1061 is a Windows error code it refers to "Service cannot accept control messages at this time".

Just a thought.
    The laptop's ACDSee might well see the database on the desktop as in use or locked, because the ACDsee on the desktop has some background tasks it performs when the computer is idle (for instance an auto index of folders and images). Whilst you can turn off that specific task, I'm not sure there aren't others.

Have you tried changing the desktop from the main database to a secondary dummy database when you have finished work on your images on the desktop, and the same on the laptop?. That should at least in theory avoid any locking problems.

Leave a comment:

• bmcnich
    replied
    Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
    John OM
    If that is the case, and you can access them from the laptop, have you tried having the ACDSee database in a "shared" folder on the desktop. When you startup ACDsee on the laptop, let it open on a default small database on the laptop, and once it is running use File->Database->Open to open the database in the shared folder the desktop. That way all changes are to a single database.
    That was actually my first thought, however when I try that approach I get an error (#1061) that says that ACDSee is unable to connect to the database. After some searching I was led to the below thread, where the census seemed to be it's better to have separate databases on each machine. That is ultimately what I ended up doing and I agree that after putting in the time to catalog on both devices that it's quite fast; however for simplicity it would be nice to use a single database for everything.

https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...iple-computers

LV_Bill Thank you for sharing that thread. I recently starting embedding, so sounds like this is the best option.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• John OM
    replied
    LV_Bill

I used to embed keywords, captions etc from ACDSee Metadata into my images, however that proprietary XMP field can all too readily be lost if the image is at any stage processed by an external editor. So that led to me also embedding the keywords and captions in the IPTC fields. That seems much less subject to loss in other software.
    I agree. I've taken to embedding both myself, just to be safe. It's just an extra preset, not much of a time suck.

Leave a comment:

• John OM
    replied
    John OM

To me, the important fact in your post is that the photos themselves are on a local SSD drive in the desktop, rather than on a network NAS drive.

That suggests to me that to be able to work on them from the laptop, they would need to be a "shared" folder that could be accessed from the laptop.
    Actually, no. Through the home network I can access any folder (other than system folders) on the other computer. They also show up in the the Folder pane on AC.

I understand about embedding, but would still like to deal with only one database, regardless of the device I'm using, so as to not duplicate my work. I've also had problems causing orphan thumbnails to appear when I work on the same files from two different locations.

Leave a comment:

• LV_Bill
    replied
    Sorry guys, but I got buried in work after losing a day of Internet connectivity. The link below will take you to a previous discussion of IPTC and Embedding. Read this first, then feel free to post back.

https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/acdse...data-questions

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    LV_Bill

I used to embed keywords, captions etc from ACDSee Metadata into my images, however that proprietary XMP field can all too readily be lost if the image is at any stage processed by an external editor. So that led to me also embedding the keywords and captions in the IPTC fields. That seems much less subject to loss in other software.

A problem though, is that keywords in IPTC are not hierarchical, and therefore not as convenient to work with as the ACDSee database ones.
    My procedure is to use a hierarchical keyword structure in the database, add the captions to the ACDSee Metadata and then embed that in the images, then use a metadata preset to embed the ACDSee keywords and Captions into IPTC.

I have a preset to recover the ACDSee Metadata from the IPTC metadata should any processing in an external editor wipe out the ACDSee embedded metadata. It's not perfect because the hierarchical structure gets lost in the translation, but at least it is recoverable.

Maybe there is a better way.

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    John OM

To me, the important fact in your post is that the photos themselves are on a local SSD drive in the desktop, rather than on a network NAS drive.

That suggests to me that to be able to work on them from the laptop, they would need to be a "shared" folder that could be accessed from the laptop.

If that is the case, and you can access them from the laptop, have you tried having the ACDSee database in a "shared" folder on the desktop. When you startup ACDsee on the laptop, let it open on a default small database on the laptop, and once it is running use File->Database->Open to open the database in the shared folder the desktop. That way all changes are to a single database.

I don't have ACDSee on a portable to try this and there may be some downside, but I have used other database in a similar way.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 06-17-2020, 11:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X