Ultimate 2020 constantly crashing. 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2020 constantly crashing. 

Upgraded from Ultimate 2018 to 2020. It is constantly crashing. I just started using it as I would the 2018 version using Develop mode and its various feature. ACDSee crashes "Encountered an error and have to close". 2018 still works fine doing the same exact things. I filed a bug report and was promised a reply in 48 hours or something like that but have gotten nothing back. Is crashing a common complaint on 2020 Utlimate, because it is completely unusable.

This issue has been addressed in another thread. Perhaps this will steer you in the right direction:
    https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...-ultimate-slow

Comment

I have not found it to be slow, so that does not address crashing. It shouldn't be crashing.

Comment

The two most common fixes for crashing
        a) Perform database maintenance ( Tools > Database > Optimize database)
        b) Reset layout (View > Reset Layout)

I perform "a" 1x per week. I don't know about "b", but it seems to be something typically suggest by ACD support.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
          b) Reset layout (View > Reset Layout)
          I don't know about "b", but it seems to be something typically suggest by ACD support.
          I read this too frequently. Instead of fixing the underlying bug, they suggest to delete a part of the registry.

Originally posted by wb2trf View Post
          Is crashing a common complaint on 2020 Utlimate, because it is completely unusable.
          IMHO yes for both. I've never been able to create a single reliable db with any version of AC 2020.
          Last edited by Emil; 06-30-2020, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Database maintenance can't make any sense, I don't think, because the crashing occurred in immediately after a fresh installation without any import of the 2018 database. I just pointed it at a folder of all my photos, opened one and tried to use it. Kaboom (repeatedly).There were earlier Develop records. If it is incompatible with 2018 Develop records, then that could be a cause, but that's just a terrible bug.

Comment

There is vague possibility, that one of your image files if broken. Try to open AC with another folder with a few sample images. This is another of the common fixes suggested by ACDSystems, they tend to see problems on users end and hardly ever agree that AC is broken.

Comment

Hi wb2trf - Adding to what Emil said above, there isn't a pervasive problem inside the ACDSee software. The problem, whatever it is, is on your system. So, the advice from us long-term users is -- time for you to do some detective work. You need to figure out what's gone wrong on your specific system. What is true (in my opinion) is that ACDSee crashes are more common than they should be and that ACDSee could do more to "bullet proof itself" against common types of crashes, and give users some better indication of the cause. Meanwhile here's some hints to help you chase down the cause of your particular crash.

If you have a healthy system (no viruses or OS corruption) then, there are five general causes for a crash of ACDSee – particularly if it is an immediate crash at startup:
                1. Corrupt Image(s) in the startup-folder.
                2. The ACDSee program itself is corrupted.
                3. The Database is corrupted.
                4. The ACDSee Registry Keys are corrupted.
                5. Conflict with another program or process.
                I would start by uninstalling and reinstalling your software. Next, follow Emil's suggestion about a corrupt image in your start-up folder. Then, turn your attention to a problem with your database, and so on. It's a process of elimination. If you are game for a little detective work, your fellow users will be happy to help. And, the ACD Tech guys may also jump in here to help as they read these posts too. Good luck.

Comment

Great list LV_Bill. I wonder if there is a a way to mark a post as "must read when troubleshooting"

Comment

Thanks Gus. My list of five ACDSee crash causes are from my own personal experience. Every time I encounter a new one, I add it to the list and pass it on to the newbies when needed. I enjoy your posts too. Keep 'em coming. /Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X