Slow things to fix in Ultimate 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow things to fix in Ultimate 2021

Now this may be somethijng specific to just me, or my computer, or my settings, but here is something I find really quite slow with ultimate 2020

I made some stopwatch timings to see how long it takes to open an image, before I'm ready to start working

Here's the results:

Using RAW images from an Olympus OMD EM1.2 ?xxxx.ORF? with 5184 x 3888 pixel (20M Pixel)

9s in Manage mode, to open an undeveloped image to view
    9s in Manage mode, to open a developed image to view
    13s in Manage mode, start to develop an undeveloped image
    13s in Manage mode, start to develop a developed image

Using RAW images from a Nikon Z7 ?xxxx.NEF? with 8256 x 5504 pixel (45M Pixel)

9s in Manage mode, to open an undeveloped image to view
    9s in Manage mode, to open a developed image to view
    13s in Manage mode, start to develop an undeveloped image
    13s in Manage mode, start to develop a developed image

Please note that If I am already in View mode or develop mode, then selecting and changing to the next image is fast, almost instant!
    It seems that changing from Manage mode to View mode, or from manage mode to develop mode is slowing me down considerably!

This needs to be speeded up! Please!!!

Anyone else have similar expereience with the time to "change modes"

I figured out that if I could stay in say View mode and select the next image from the filmstrip it would be much quicker, BUT
    One problem here is that the thumbnail images in the filmstrip are far too small to be able to correctly see and select the correct next desired image, especially when there are few images that look similar.

The filmstrip size needs to customisable to help here!

By the way, my system looks like this:
    Desktop PC with Windows 10
    i7 processor (i7-3770K 3.5GHz) , fast graphics card (Geforce GTX1080), 16GB RAM, fast SSD drives for the software, the database and the photos with free space available , 2 monitors.
    Last edited by Trevor; 09-14-2020, 07:09 AM.

You can adjust Filmstrip size with this Slider.

Comment

Originally posted by Len View Post
      You can adjust Filmstrip size with this Slider.
      Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately this does not help the problem at all!
      This slider adjusts the size of the thumbnails in MANAGE mode. I have already adjusted that to an appropriate size.

What my original post referred to is adjusting the size of the filmstrip in DEVELOP mode or in VIEW mode.
      The long wait I'm experiencing happens when I change from MANAGE mode to either VIEW mode or to DEVELOP mode.

I can "undock" that (DEVELOP mode) filmstrip and adjust the size of the window to show "more" little thumbnails but I can't adjust the "size" of the thumbnails themselves (unless someone knows a trick for that ?). These little (DEVELOP mode) thumbnails are so small that I cannot see the difference between two similar photos, so I have to continuously go back to "your" big thumbnails in MANAGE mode to select the next one I want, change mode again to go back to VIEW or DEVELOP mode which costs me a long waiting time to continually be changing modes :-(

It's just plain annoying when you do this many times.
      So please speed up the "change mode" , or at least make the filmstrip thumbnail size adjustable.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-14-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Trevor Something is strange....
        Keeping in mind I have the fancy stuff (like facial recognition, picaview, mobile sync, document file types, indexer) turned off, the transition from of the modes mentioned in the OP is always less than 3 seconds. Most of the time (95%+) under 1 second.

For my test, the test files are Z6 (NEF; 24MP) or D500 (NEF; 21MP) or 100MB+ TIFF files... either local, or across network

I am not sure what to suggest other than the Tools > Database > Optimize Database
        As a test, maybe turning off the the fancy stuff is worth trying?

Maybe the Ult2021 updates will help as there seems to be some indication work was done in the speed area...

As far as computer configuration... My disks are NVMe and 32GB RAM... but the rest of your system is much more capable than mine. The 32G should have nothing to do with it. The NVMe may help... but if there is only a SATA SSD, I can't imagine hardware being the issue.

It is alos intresting the size of the NEF does not seem to have an impact.... Something is strange in the force.

Comment

Thanks Gus,
          After reading that your mode switch happens much quicker than mine I was happy. This is what I was hoping for because it means I have a chance to fix mine somehow.

I checked my settings again.
          All the fancy stuff that I don’t need like face detection was already turned off.
          Then I looked at other (external) things and found that one thing slowing my computer down could be the “Acronis True image 2018” Active protection mode
          When I switched that off it seemed to work faster for a while!
          In internet I then read that Acronis active protection is also known to slow down other applications too. And it is possible to “whitelist“ ACDsee. Strangely that whitelisting improved the mode switch from MANAGE mode to DEVELOP mode, but didn’t speed up the change from MANAGE to VIEW mode at all
          With the hope that the newer version of the Acronis backup and protection software might have improved that issue, I installed Acronis True image 2021 and tested again, but no real improvement

I also have Avast antivirus software running on my PC. But, disabling that seemed to make no improvement at all.

OK , back then to looking inside ACDSee,….
          And maybe I’ve now identified the real problem inside ACDSee? (time will tell for sure, but here is the latest status)

In Manage mode in the folder view I can see all the drives and network folders. There are several visible from my PC.
          With a right click on each drive name I can click on “EXCLUDE from database”
          By default all these drives were included, but I only have my photos saved on 2 of these drives
          I excluded all the other drives and network folders and now it is much faster than before!!

If this turns out to be a “long term fix” then in my opinion, ACDSee should provide some way for the user to actively INCLUDE the drives we want to be included in the database. And all others are excluded by default when installing new.
          It seems that it was these other multiple drives and network folders that was slowing down the mode change from MANAGE to VIEW or MANAGE to DEVELOP. Not sure why. Maybe ACDSee can look into that
          Last edited by Trevor; 09-22-2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
            Trevor Something is strange....
            ..., the transition from of the modes mentioned in the OP is always less than 3 seconds.

Thank's for that! Please see my separate reply, as soon as it is "approved"
            Last edited by Trevor; 09-22-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gus,
              After reading that your mode switch happens much quicker than mine I was happy. This is what I was hoping for because it means I have a chance to fix mine somehow.

All the fancy stuff that I don’t need like face detection was already turned off.
              Then I looked at other (external) things and found that one thing slowing my computer down could be the “Acronis True image 2018” Active protection mode ☹
              In internet I then read that Acronis active protection is also known to slow down other applications too. And it is possible to “whitelist“ ACDsee. Strangely that whitelisting improved the mode switch from MANAGE mode to DEVELOP mode, but didn’t speed up the change from MANAGE to VIEW mode at all ☹
              With the hope that the newer version of the Acronis backup and protection software might have improved that issue, I installed Acronis True image 2021 and tested again, but no real improvement

I also have Avast antivirus software running on my PC. But, disabling that seemed to make no improvement at all.

And maybe I’ve now identified the real problem inside ACDSee? (time will tell for sure, but here is the latest status)

In Manage mode in the folder view I can see all the drives and network folders. There are several visible from my PC.
              By default all these drives were included, but I only have my photos saved on 2 of these drives
              I excluded all the other drives and network folders and now it is much faster than before!!

If this turns out to be a “long term fix” then in my opinion, ACDSee should provide some way for the user to actively INCLUDE the drives we want to be included in the database. And all others are excluded by default when installing new.
              It seems that it was these other multiple drives and network folders that was slowing down the mode change from MANAGE to VIEW or MANAGE to DEVELOP. Not sure why. Maybe ACDSee can look into that
              Last edited by Trevor; 09-23-2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Trevor

I too think something is strange with the times you posted.

My current PC (soon to be replaced) has an old Sandy Bridge i7-2600 CPU which should be slower than yours. It has 16GB of RAM, a GTX1050ti 4GB card, and Samsung EVO SATA SSD drives. It's running Windows 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.1082. I would expect it to be slower than yours.

16MP RAW (.ARW) images from a Sony SLT-A57 camera are taking less than 2 seconds to go from Manage mode to open in View and about the same from Manage mode to Develop.

The Ultimate 2020 database currently references just over 52,000 images in 3227 folders and the images are on a local SSD drive (not the OS drive), as is the database.

Comment

@Trevor

Very, very good tip. Thanks for that!
                  AC runs much faster now!
                  Last edited by gfxtom; 09-23-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Be sure to have the latest version of AC installed. There has been an issue with early versions of AC 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                      Be sure to have the latest version of AC installed. There has been an issue with early versions of AC 2020.
                      Hi Emil
                      I already had the latest version of ultimate 2020 installed, Build 2057. (I hope that is the latest, It does say no updates available)

It was nevertheless slow to change modes :-(

The slow mode changing from MANAGE - to VIEW mode and MANAGE to DEVELOP mode was happening despite the newest version.
                      The problem only went away when I selected all the drives and network folders in the folder list that I don't use for photos and clicked on “EXCLUDE from database” for each one

edit:
                      by the way, I don't use any keywords in my database. I have some images tagged. My database is 14.5GB The dashboard stats says that I have 178000 image files.
                      Last edited by Trevor; 09-23-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I posted this yesterday but it didn't appear in the forum?
                        Here is a copy/paste of my original message with a solution to speed things up

Thanks Gus,

Then I looked at other (external) things and found that one thing slowing my computer down could be the “Acronis True image 2018” Active protection mode ☹
                        In internet I then read that Acronis active protection is also known to slow down other applications too. And it is possible to “whitelist“ ACDsee. Strangely that whitelisting improved the mode switch from MANAGE mode to DEVELOP mode, but didn’t speed up the change from MANAGE to VIEW mode at all ☹

Comment

Working...
                        X