Hi all.

Simple one.

Say my five files are named :

Dave Smith - 01.jpg
    Dave Smith - 02.jpg
    Dave Smith - 03.jpg
    Dave Smith - 04.jpg
    extra file.jpg

in 2020, I'd just highlight all the files, press F2 to rename and it would change 'extra file.jpg'' to 'Dave Smith - 05.jpg' as the 'New Name' was always the 'Current Name', but without the incrementing number (so '##').

How do I replicate that in 2021's Rename module ?

Thank you.

Hi Alice - Perhaps I am not quite understanding your question. So, apologies in advance if I have missed something.

The first two options in the new 2021 Rename command are essentially the same as in 2020 (Template, and Search and Replace). . You just have to make sure that the right options are checked -- because -- in the new Rename, you can perform multiple functions at the same time.

In your case, just make sure that the only option checked is Template, and it should operate the same as before. Obviously, the big news for 2021 is the four additional Rename functions. You just have to double-check the checkboxes and make sure that you are not accidentally adding some unintended actions to your Rename request.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, but this just isn't working the way it used to (in 2020) I'm afraid.

Could someone test this for me please based on my example above, its pretty simple ?

In 'Manage' go into the folder holding the files I've mentioned, press CTRL+A then F2 and what I'm seeing is the last template I used as the 'New Names' for my files. which is totally wrong.

Comment

Still can't get this to work.

Choosing 'Clear Templates', then selecting 'Preset' / 'Default' inserts the word 'Image' as the 'New Name', rather than the name of the existing files (ie 'Dave Smith - '),

What is the correct setting for Rename to change new files to the next incrementing sequence of existing files, such that 'extra file.jpg' becomes 'Dave Smith - 05.jpg' in a folder already holding 'Dave Smith - 01.jpg' / 'Dave Smith - 02.jpg' / 'Dave Smith - 03.jpg' / 'Dave Smith - 04.jpg' ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :-)

Comment

Hi Alice

Maybe this can help you.

Comment

Thanks Retepsa, but when I move to the next folder, which is called say 'Ian Jones', the rename 'Template' for 'Dave Smith' shows.

What I need ACDSee to do is take the first part of the name of the files in the current folder as the name to be applied to new files in that folder. So it would switch to 'Ian Jones' when in that folder, then back to 'Dave Smith' when in that folder. Which it always used to do.

I have just checked that in ACDSee Ultimate 2019 and it works that way automatically.

Comment

Hello Alice - I just figured out what you are talking about with your Rename issue. In previous versions, the Rename Template option always started with first file name as a starting point. But, in 2021, Rename remembers the last used template. It's an interesting change in behavior which I will bring up with the Developers. It's not a bug, just a change. I wonder if it was intentional or not? I'll post back when I get more info from ACD. Good catch on your part.

Comment

Morning LV_Bill

thanks for taking the time to follow this Thread through and report to ACDSee :-)

Fingers crossed for a 'new' option or other corrective action.

Comment

At Alice. Just for curiosity, how do would you deal with these lists?

Extra file above the name giving file:
                  abc.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 01.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 02.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 03.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 04.jpg
                  extra file.jpg

One of the name giving files missing:
                  Dave Smith - 01.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 02.jpg
                  Dave Smith - 04.jpg
                  extra file.jpg

Comment

Hi Emil and thanks for taking an interest

so I have around 500 folders of regular customer names. Photos that relate to each Customer are held in their named folder. New photos for a customer are just copied en-masse into that customer's folder, because that's really quick.

What I then do (to rename new files) is.... I view the contents in the ACDSee Manage mode window, then check the 'sorting' is set as : [View] / [Sort By] / 'Filename' / 'Sort Forward'. If there are any files that need to be renamed that sort to the top of the list by this action, I manually drag them to the end of the list. Finally [Ctrl+A] / [F2] to create a numeric sequence :- Dave Smith - 01.jpg / Dave Smith - 02.jpg....../ Dave Smith - 900.jpg :-)
                    Last edited by Alice; 10-07-2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                      Thanks Retepsa, but when I move to the next folder, which is called say 'Ian Jones', the rename 'Template' for 'Dave Smith' shows.

What I need ACDSee to do is take the first part of the name of the files in the current folder as the name to be applied to new files in that folder. So it would switch to 'Ian Jones' when in that folder, then back to 'Dave Smith' when in that folder. Which it always used to do.

I have just checked that in ACDSee Ultimate 2019 and it works that way automatically.
                      I am not using 2021, yet, but double clicking on any filename most probably changes the template to that filename (this is what 2020 does).

Comment

Originally posted by popman View Post

I am not using 2021, yet, but double clicking on any filename most probably changes the template to that filename (this is what 2020 does).
                        Nope, that does not work in 2021

Comment

Wow!
                          That would be a no-go for me as well as I need to rename quite a lot.
                          In 2020 the new name template was always the filename in the list. You say this is not the case in 2021 and double clicking the fisrt filename also does not change the template??
                          This means you would have to manually type the template in 2021?!

Comment

'This means you would have to manually type the template in 2021?!'

popman, yes you are correct.

A previously simple and fast rename has now become tedious and time consuming to complete in 2021.

Comment

Just tried it myself.
                              Serious Bug. Cannot move to 2021 until resolved.
                              I just hope it is not a bug like the cropping bug which gets carried over since ACDSee 15 !!! https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...east-acdsee-15

Have you raised a case?

Comment

Working...
                              X