No announcement yet.

ACDSee Ultimate 2021 - Constant Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been having this issue of freeze/crashing for months and even bought a new laptop to try to get it resolved. My entire workflow goes through ACDSee and I have upgraded yearly for 10years for new features. This was making me crazy, and support was little help suggesting only upgrading graphics driver, to no avail.

It seemed to always happen with my old, and new Windows 10 when in Dropbox or more recently in BOX which my company requires us to use. I felt that Box was syncing differently than DBox as the File explorer showed cloud icons next to the file folders. ACDSee seems to have difficulty accessing Cloud only folders.

My FIX:
    Open the Box App (or other CLoud based storage) on your desktop to view in its File Explorer list
    Hover over the cloud icon folder you wish to access.
    R_click the folder you want to work on and make sure the option
    "Make Available Online Only" is visible, but deselected
    You Must wait for all folders to sync to the computer to avoid crashing (time-based on the size of files (mine are huge)

Now everything works fine. No more crashes.

It should look like this:

Last edited by marsharts; 01-24-2021, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Such is always frustrating, but keep persisting. WRT file size, I have many files that are 90Mb+ and have no issue and like others near 1Tb of data. When did you last updated your video driver? You might also want to re-install the app, there is always the possibility that either your registry or some ACDSee system files are corrupted. Make sure you back up your database.

Comment

I own an older version of ACDsee Pro that to be honest, works FLAWLESSLY even 12 -14 years later. I purchased Ultimate 2021, thinking it's a cheap, and it should be even better.

Wrong.

I am on Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
        Acdsee Ultimate 2021 2451
        Brand new Dell XPS 7590 with 64GB of RAM

I shoot with a Nikon d7100 which doesn't produce the biggest of files. I get the freezing all the time. I'll be honest, I'm thinking of uninstalling this and putting my old Acdsee Pro 7 on this machine. It never crashes, it never freezes, and it does almost everything I need it to.

So far this was a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Spicoli View Post

I am on Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
          Acdsee Ultimate 2021 2451
          Brand new Dell XPS 7590 with 64GB of RAM
          Not sure on a brand new PC why the Windows version would not be current, and that prompts me to ask how current are the system updates and also whether your video drivers are up to date. How often do you optimize your database?

I updated from ultimate 2020 to 2021 back in October 2020, and have been using it almost daily ever since. I have not experienced any stability issues at all.
          I'm on Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, build 19042.867. Intel i7-10700 CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX1660 OC 6GB graphics card. Most of my images nowadays are either RAW images from a Sony SLT-A57 camera or JPG's from a Samsung S10 smart phone, but I also have lots of Nikon .NEF RAW images (at lot of which are 46.3MB, or 139.3MB uncompressed) from friends. I should point out though that I don't use face detection.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Not sure on a brand new PC why the Windows version would not be current, and that prompts me to ask how current are the system updates and also whether your video drivers are up to date. How often do you optimize your database?

I updated from ultimate 2020 to 2021 back in October 2020, and have been using it almost daily ever since. I have not experienced any stability issues at all.
            I'm on Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, build 19042.867. Intel i7-10700 CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX1660 OC 6GB graphics card. Most of my images nowadays are either RAW images from a Sony SLT-A57 camera or JPG's from a Samsung S10 smart phone, but I also have lots of Nikon .NEF RAW images (at lot of which are 46.3MB, or 139.3MB uncompressed) from friends. I should point out though that I don't use face detection.
            Being an IT pro, I have enough experience to know that running the latest version of Windows isn't always the best idea.

I do not do any database related tasks in ACDSee. I open images, edit them, save them, etc. Video drivers and hardware drivers are current.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Spicoli View Post

I do not do any database related tasks in ACDSee. I open images, edit them, save them, etc. Video drivers and hardware drivers are current.
              Each time you open a photo, edit a photo, move a photo etc, it affects the database. ACDSee's main function is its database. Moving or deleting images outside of ACDSee results in orphaned database entries, and databases can be corrupted, so it is prudent to both backup the database and run Tools->Database->Optimize Database regularly.

Comment

I solved a similar problem of constantly crashes from the PC shortly after booting and starting ACDsee 21 (pro), I simply disabled the Windows 10 fast startup option in the Windows 10 Energy options and the system works stable, I revognized general problems with AMD Ryzen CPU's (X570 Mainboard), in combination with some Windows 10 Energy saving features.
                I hope that somebody could use this information to solve the same issue.

Comment

This is the type of issue one needs to work with ACDSee support team to know where the crash log would be or how to identify which process fails. In my experience random crashes are often linked to outdated / faulty video driver. It can be a faulty memory chip but I have not encountered that issue in 40+ years of computing so I would rate that as unlikely. Such crashes (i.e. crash and burn without an error msg) often happen when a process data is corrupted (some data stored in memory get overwritten by another process, which result in unpredictable result). The key to solving the issue is to identify which process failed, which in turn gives a clue to what corrupted the data stored in memory. Most coding errors would normally be handled by an error trap that gives an error msg (however sometimes meaningless) , so I would tend to believe that the culprit resides outside the application's domain, and the video driver is the workhorse of this application, (amongst many others) which it has no control over. All that to say... talk to ACDSee tech support when this happens.

Comment

Each time you open a photo, edit a photo, move a photo etc, it affects the database. ACDSee's main function is its database. Moving or deleting images outside of ACDSee results in orphaned database entries, and databases can be corrupted, so it is prudent to both backup the database and run Tools->Database->Optimize Database regularly.
                    Thank you! I was having a similar problem with Ultimate 2021. Running ...Optimize Database seems to have solved it.

Comment

I just did a factory reinstall of Windows 10 yesterday with the help of an HP tech and made sure all updates were installed this morning.
                      ACDSee Ultimate 2021 says it has no updates.

I have tried several times to catalog my files so the metadata repopulates, but it keeps quitting.

The event viewer says: (it has more to say about ACDSee but these are the last three)

Fault offset: 0x00000000003f09ab
                      Faulting process id: 0x21b0
                      Faulting application start time: 0x01d8205420e3e5a2
                      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\14.0\ACDSeeUltimate2021.exe
                      Faulting module path: c:\program files\acd systems\acdsee ultimate\14.0\plugins\IDE_ACDStd.apl
                      Report Id: c920bfcb-c56e-4d40-a0dd-5a8abfa3f547
                      Faulting package full name:
                      Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: ACDSeeUltimate2021.exe, version: 14.0.1.2451, time stamp: 0x5f8e1e3c
                      Faulting module name: IDE_ACDStd.apl, version: 6.0.1220.1, time stamp: 0x5f85167f
                      Exception code: 0xc0000409
                      Faulting process id: 0x5714
                      Faulting application start time: 0x01d81fe4c441d837
                      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\14.0\ACDSeeUltimate2021.exe
                      Faulting module path: c:\program files\acd systems\acdsee ultimate\14.0\plugins\IDE_ACDStd.apl
                      Report Id: 21e8dfbf-b70f-43a3-95ec-b71baf79f06d
                      Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: ACDSeeUltimate2021.exe, version: 14.0.1.2451, time stamp: 0x5f8e1e3c
                      Faulting module name: IDE_ACDStd.apl, version: 6.0.1220.1, time stamp: 0x5f85167f
                      Exception code: 0xc0000409
                      Faulting process id: 0x5ee4
                      Faulting application start time: 0x01d81fadb78400e4
                      Report Id: 750094b3-5241-4b95-bc34-ac8089f824a6

Support is unavailable today.
                      Does anyone know if there's something I can do about this?

Thank you.
                      Colorworks

Comment

Colorworks

If you google the Exception code 0xc0000409, you will likely see results like "indicates a malfunction in your system operation" and various other suggestions
                        Chasing Windows exception codes on line will generally will take you down a very deep rabbit hole..

That said, and despite it being a new installation of Window, it is still perhaps worth running a system file check from an elevated command prompt (SFC /ScanNow)

The Windows Event Viewer information does indicate that the module concerned is IDE_ACDStd.api which is the standard image decode library plugin that looks after decoding BMP, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF, GIF, WMF, EMF, WBMP and ACDC files, so that raises the possibility of there being an issue with that plug in file itself (Re-install ACDSee from a complete new installer package from your ACDSee Account,) or that the Catalog process is running into one or more image files that have some problems.

My first approach would be to create a new folder on a local drive, and put one of each type of image you have into that folder, then open a new database and Catalog just that folder.

If that is successful then it would suggest the plugin is working OK, and it is perhaps more likely to be a problem with an individual image or images.

If it is not successful then my next step would be to see whether it is a specific type of image that causes the problem. (Remove one type at a time and try again)

If it is successful with all of the image types on the limited test, then it is probably a matter of Catalog your images in small batches until you locate the ones causing the problem..

Hopefully even if it doesn't resolve the issue, it may provide some information that might help ACDSee Support.

Edit: If you are running a 3rd party antivirus application, for instance Avast, then you could also try either turning it off during the Catalog process, or white listing both ACDSee and the image folders.
                        Last edited by Greyfox; 02-12-2022, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Colorworks

If you google the Exception code 0xc0000409, you will likely see results like "indicates a malfunction in your system operation" and various other suggestions
                          Chasing Windows exception codes on line will generally will take you down a very deep rabbit hole..

That said, and despite it being a new installation of Window, it is still perhaps worth running a system file check from an elevated command prompt (SFC /ScanNow)

The Windows Event Viewer information does indicate that the module concerned is IDE_ACDStd.api which is the standard image decode library plugin that looks after decoding BMP, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF, GIF, WMF, EMF, WBMP and ACDC files, so that raises the possibility of there being an issue with that plug in file itself (Re-install ACDSee from a complete new installer package from your ACDSee Account,) or that the Catalog process is running into one or more image files that have some problems.

My first approach would be to create a new folder on a local drive, and put one of each type of image you have into that folder, then open a new database and Catalog just that folder.

If that is successful then it would suggest the plugin is working OK, and it is perhaps more likely to be a problem with an individual image or images.

If it is not successful then my next step would be to see whether it is a specific type of image that causes the problem. (Remove one type at a time and try again)

If it is successful with all of the image types on the limited test, then it is probably a matter of Catalog your images in small batches until you locate the ones causing the problem..

Hopefully even if it doesn't resolve the issue, it may provide some information that might help ACDSee Support.

Edit: If you are running a 3rd party antivirus application, for instance Avast, then you could also try either turning it off during the Catalog process, or white listing both ACDSee and the image folders.
                          Hi Greyfox,
                          Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. About the same time as I asked the question my whole computer crashed and HP had to rebuild it so I was unable to see or respond to your info.
                          My experience over the years is that ACDSee is unstable, even though it works fine most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X