Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2021 questions

Hi,
    I'm an experienced Ultimate 2018 user and have just started a trial of Ultimate 2021 to see if it makes sense to upgrade. Right off the bat, four questions:

1. I do a lot of image processing. One of the reasons I'm considering switching is the advertised "up to 50% faster mode switching performance." Maybe the "up to" is very pertinent, as I'm not sensing ANY decrease in the time it takes to switch between modes (Manage, View, Develop, Edit). What experience are you having in this regard?

2. Have you noticed significant speed increases when performing other tasks with this version, compared to earlier versions?

3. Can you point me to how to import presets from Ultimate 2018 to Ultimate 2021?

4. In Manage mode, when I select two images to "compare," the comparison window comes up sized less than full-screen. Unfortunately, the window is offset too high to be able to drag it down to access the controls to maximize it. Suggestions? (Maybe I'm forgetting a Windows shortcut to Maximize a window?)

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Doug

Originally posted by NoCoKestrel View Post
    1. I do a lot of image processing. One of the reasons I'm considering switching is the advertised "up to 50% faster mode switching performance." Maybe the "up to" is very pertinent, as I'm not sensing ANY decrease in the time it takes to switch between modes (Manage, View, Develop, Edit). What experience are you having in this regard?
    Although I've been using ACDSee over various versions for image management ever since 2013, I only changed to Ultimate with the 2020 version, and then to the 2021 version, so I can't compare 2021's speed to that of the 2018 version.

In terms of switching speed between modes, it was fast enough in Ultimate 2020 that I didn't pay any attention to it, and that is the case in Ultimate 2021. Is it faster in 2021, I don't know and I no longer have 2020 installed on this PC to compare

2. Have you noticed significant speed increases when performing other tasks with this version, compared to earlier versions?
    In Ultimate 2020 the Tools->Database->Database Maintenance function was ultra slow. Happily that isn't the case in Ultimate 2021. I haven't experienced any speed issues with Ultimate 2021 with my workflow to date.

3. Can you point me to how to import presets from Ultimate 2018 to Ultimate 2021?
    My understanding is that Ultimate 2021 uses a different method of storing presets which may make it easier to transfer them in the future, but that probably doesn't help getting them from 2018 to 2021. I have seen some posts in the forum about copying registry entries and adding them back in after changing version details. Given the change in the way they are now stored, I don't know whether that method would work now. When I upgraded to 2021 I decided to take the opportunity to clean house and I chose to build new custom presets and actions for the ones I regularly use.

4. In Manage mode, when I select two images to "compare," the comparison window comes up sized less than full-screen. Unfortunately, the window is offset too high to be able to drag it down to access the controls to maximize it. Suggestions? (Maybe I'm forgetting a Windows shortcut to Maximize a window?)
    The compare images screen doesn't have any minimise or resize controls that I am aware of. On my 1920 x 1080 screens it fills the screen. Are you by chance using a high resolution monitor or some odd Windows scaling factor ?

Comment

NoCoKestrel

Sorry Doug,
      I've tried to post some answers to your questions. but my post has been tagged as Unapproved and so is not visible. I don't know why, possibly Robo moderation. Will have to wait until or if it gets approval.

Comment

Hello NoCoKestrel,
        I hope you'll understand my English
        I haven't noticed big differences in performance but I don't process large batches of images.
        Importing presets : https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...evelop-presets
        I don't think it's possible to change the size of the image comparison window.

Comment

Hi Doug,
          You may find this thread of interest: https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...-ultimate-2021
          For me, I upgraded from Ult2019 to Ult2021 and noticed a decrease in speed when switching between modes. My PC is about 10 years old at this point, so that could be contributing; however Ult2019 is a much smoother experience for both editing and mode switching. In the near future I plan to upgrade my PC and hopefully with newer hardware will be able to see improvements in this area.

This thread talks about copying presets, but I'm not sure if there is a direct way to copy from one version to another: https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...from-2020-2021

Comment

Hi,
            I can't find any speed improvement. On the contrary, ACDSee starts slower than the previous version 2020.
            Windows 10, only SSD drives and 32GB RAM.

Comment

Thanks to those who have responded already, I appreciate it! I look forward to seeing Greyfox's post when it comes through. So far I'm not sold that Ultimate 2021 is a worthwhile update but will continue to experiment with it.
              Cheers,
              Doug

Comment

Hi there, Doug.

Just to underline what has been said above: no discernible speed increases whatsoever. In fact, start up is considerably slower.

There is a Windows10 shortcut for working with windows, ALT+SPACE. Maybe that'll work to resize/reposition your compare window.

Comment

I own a very strong Computer ( Rayzn 9, 8GB Video, 32 GB RAM), it works fantastic with all Kind of Video Editing BUT ACDSee???..... There is a big "But" in Case of ACDSee-Software...
                  I don´t why ACDSee is advertising with approved Speed of 2021-Version.... Every Year are the Versions slower and slower. The last Version which was working good was ACDSee 2018. Unfortunately I had to Switch to 2020 because of Nikon Z6 ( ACDSee 2018 was not supporting Nikon Z6 ). I see no Improvement from 2018 to 2020.

Like a professional Photograph I´m working with ACDSee from Version 3.0 ( 2020 ) and I really don´t understand the Politics of the ACD Systems anymore. For me there is no Problem to pay 80€ for the new Version once a Year, but finally there are no Improvents at all!!! Instead we need to buy a new Computers, because the Software is every Year slower and slower.... And if I buy a new Camera I have to buy a new ACDSee-Version, because there is no Upgrade for the older versions supporting the RAW-Files from the newest Cameras.

10 yoars old ACDSee Pro 3.0 from 2010 is kind a quickiest ACDSee....

This is very dissapionting for me and I wish I would have a REAL IMPROVEMENTS in new Versions, not just Gimmicks like Tone-Wheels which are completely Useless for the Workflow.

Concret the Reason why I was not upgrading from 2020? In Develop-Mode after applying a Staple-Correction for the RAWS I have to wait now until the RAWS are ready. In 2020 I can still develop another RAW-Files during the RAWS are developing in Background.

Comment

Thanks, all, for sharing your experiences and providing tips.

Re Greyfox's question about my display resolution, there's nothing unusual. I'm on a couple of 17" monitors running at 1280x1024.

Re StepHox's tip on sizing the Compare window, thank you! ALT+Space gives me the Windows menu. In that, the only command that functions is "Size" - which lets me manually size the window. Which, in turn, now lets me access the ACDSee commands at the top (e.g. Pan Lock and Zoom lock). :-)

Re Framon's and Bmcnich's responses on importing presets, I haven't yet had a chance to experiment. Will let you know if I succeed.

Doug

Comment

Glad to have been of help!

Comment

Working...
                      X