BUG - Move Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG - Move Files

Ultimate 2021 - When there are duplicates in the destination folder there is the option of deleting the files from the source folder. If the check box "Apply to All" is selected one would expect that the choice of deletion of the duplicate found from the source folder would apply to all the duplicate files, however only the first encounter is deleted, the others remain in the source folder (in other words they are skipped). If "Apply to All" is not selected, then one is being asked for each duplicate found whether to Replace, Skip or Delete.

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
    Ultimate 2021 - When there are duplicates in the destination folder there is the option of deleting the files from the source folder. If the check box "Apply to All" is selected one would expect that the choice of deletion of the duplicate found from the source folder would apply to all the duplicate files, however only the first encounter is deleted, the others remain in the source folder (in other words they are skipped). If "Apply to All" is not selected, then one is being asked for each duplicate found whether to Replace, Skip or Delete.
    I think there is a number of things less than ideal with the move function.

My Expectations for a Move function are:-

1. If there are no files in the destination folder with the same filename as the source files, then the source files are moved into the destination folder, and are removed from the source folder.

2. If there are files in the destination folder with the same filename as the source files, then the dialog should appear with the option to
    (a) Replace the file in the destination folder with the file from the source folder.
    (b) Leave the file in the destination folder as it is, and move the file from the source folder to the destination folder with a revised filename
    (c) Skip the move altogether for that file.
    (d) Allow for option (a),(b), or (c) above to apply to all of the files selected for move, where the source and destination filenames are the same.

3. Option (c) above would normally be expected to leave the file in the source folder, so I can see a case for providing an option to delete the source file in this situation.

4. Options (a) and (b) in a move instruction would normally automatically remove the files from the source folder. Providing an option to Delete the source file in this situation seems unnecessary

5. I can't picture a case where the option to delete the destination file would be used in a practical situation.
    At the moment, if this option is selected, the file in the destination folder is deleted and the file in the source folder is left in the source folder (which unless I'm missing something is the same result as skip).

6. I'm finding the present default action of the Rename to be a bit bizarre.
    For example by default filenames will be changed as follows
    20180212_083846.JPG will change to 20180212_83847.JPG
    20180304_130739.JPG will change to 20180304_130740.JPG
    20191121_085839P.JPG will change to 20191121_085839P_2.JPG
    DSC01172.JPG will change to DSC01172_2.JPG

I don't have an issue with the last two examples. but the first two are just downright confusing. Why can't the default be to add "_n" (where n is a digit) to the end of all filenames.

7. As Regor250 has said, the tick box for "Apply to all" doesn't appear to work as expected when it is used with the delete option.

Comment

Working...
    X