Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to preserve "date taken" when editing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to preserve "date taken" when editing?

I travel a lot and take a lot of raw photos. Some of them need editing.
    I get frustrated by the edited photo then having a date applied from the date it was edited.
    This screws my searches and other interactions that rely on date taken.
    All of my images are always sorted by date taken.

Apart from ensuring the date taken is included in the file name, is there any way to rewrite the original date into the exif data.
    This would have to be able to batch process the action.

This is probably the biggest thing that puts me off editing my raws.

I do appreciate that this is not an ACDSee problem, but hoping the program could provide a solution.

I rely on Date Taken in the EXIF information of the file itself

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
      I rely on Date Taken in the EXIF information of the file itself
      That is the most reliable date, providing that the software you use doesn't strip the Exif information.

Comment

That doesn't work for me, i have a raw file that i have developed and saved as a jpg. However the jpg has todays date, as it is effectively a new file.
        The original raw file retains the original date.
        I'm using ACDSee as my editing software.
        My phone takes 70mb raw files. I want to edit to jpg and delete the raw.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverboat2001 View Post
          That doesn't work for me, i have a raw file that i have developed and saved as a jpg. However the jpg has todays date, as it is effectively a new file.
          The first screen shot shows a RAW image taken from a Sony SLT-A57 camera.
          For the sake of this exercise, the "develop" done in U2021 consisted of applying lens correction, some minor adjustments in LightEQ, and a tad of added vibrance and sharpening.
          That was "Saved" creating the XMP sidecar file. It was also then exported as a TIF, and also as a JPG.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Images.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	54331
          The second screen shot shows the Properties->File Panel for each of the three images, the original RAW, the TIFF and the JPG.
          As can be seen from the screen shots, and as should be expected, the EXIF Date/Time Original is the same for all three, 18/'01/2014 12:21:00, the date the original photo was taken.

If you are seeing a change between the RAW Date/Time Original and the JPG Date/Time Original exported from U2021 then something is wrong.

Name:	Exif Details.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	54332

Comment

Originally posted by Riverboat2001 View Post
            As in the response above, my Sony camera raw file has the Date Taken field. This field is also used in my jpeg file Date/Time Original field created from the raw file (ACDSee Metadata). The Imported Date changes to the input into the database date in the Metadata file. When I list my jpeg files using Win10 File Explorer the time/date of the file matches the Date/Time field. When I then right click on a file to determine its Properties, the General tab shows the date/time the file was loaded onto the computer (Created) and the Date Modified. The Details tab shows the correct Date Taken info. Scrolling down to the File portion of this pane shows a matching Date Created & Date Modified to the General tab.

Does you phone raw file place the Date Taken data into the proper location and of the proper format so the ACDSee program sees it in its EXIF viewer Date/Time Original field and the ACDSee Metadata Database Date field when catalogued? This would be in the Manage Mode.

Comment

Originally posted by TomV View Post

....Does you phone raw file place the Date Taken data into the proper location and of the proper format so the ACDSee program sees it in its EXIF viewer Date/Time Original field and the ACDSee Metadata Database Date field when catalogued? This would be in the Manage Mode.
              That's a good question. My Samsung Galaxy S20 phone certainly does when it is set to output DNG raw images.

Name:	Samsung phone.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	54337 .

Comment

Working...
              X