Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acdsee faster if just the database or all the files on an SSD drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acdsee faster if just the database or all the files on an SSD drive?

I have ca 40,000 photos occupying 220 GBs, and I tend to add ca 1,000 photos / 12 GBs every year.
    What would make the performance of ACdsee faster? Storing just the database on an SSD drive, or would there be a real benefit if I stored the database AND the photos on an SSD drive?

Some music catalogue systems with lots of metadata recommend storing just the database on an SSD, but of course music is different because the files are smaller and they are typically jsut played, not modified like a photo would.

Originally posted by YetAnotherLightroomer View Post
    ....What would make the performance of ACdsee faster? Storing just the database on an SSD drive, or would there be a real benefit if I stored the database AND the photos on an SSD drive?
    Simple answer, theoretically having both on SSD should give best performance, but in a practical sense. I doubt you look at a large number of your older photos often so access time if and when you do is probably not all that significant.

I suggest you have your U2021 database on SSD, and at least the folders you use for processing current image projects on SSD. If cost isn't an issue, you could also have your archived photos on a local SSD too, but a cheaper option would be to have those on a large local conventional hard drive.

Either way, your image collection should be regularly backed up to external media. I'm old school, I don't rely on cloud based storage, but rather on a set of alternating large external backup drives which are only connected to the PC for the time it takes to backup or data sync, and there is always one of the set stored off premises.

I'm a firm believer that ACDSee metadata, keywords, categories captions etc should be embedded into the images (or in the associated sidecar files) as well as copying applicable ACDsee metadata to IPTC. Databases can fail and having the metadata embedded in the images is a great line of defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
      as well as copying applicable ACDsee metadata to IPTC. Databases can fail and having the metadata embedded in the images is a great line of defense.
      I agree - but how do you copy ACDsee metadata to IPTC? I had actually made a post asking if there's a way to sync ACDsee keywords and IPTC: https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...er-by-keywords
      Of course you can manually add any Acdsee keyword to the IPTC fields, but that's not feasible for large numbers of photos

I get it that ACDsee keywords can be hierarchical while IPTC' can't, but I like the idea of having as much information as possible in a universal format - plus I don't see myself using hierarchical keyboards much.

Comment

I agree - but how do you copy ACDsee metadata to IPTC?
        In the Properties Pane, select the Metadata Tab.
        Near the top you should see a Metadata Presets pull down.

Pull that down and select Manage Presets, that will open up a dialog.
        The attached basic arrangement copies the ACDSee Metadata fields "Caption", "Keywords" and "Author" to IPTC.
        You can add your own Usage terms, Contact fields etc to choice.

When completed give the preset a name (the one shown is named "ACDSee Metadata to IPTC") and save it.

To use, select a group of images that have ACDSee metadata database entries, select the preset, and click on Apply (or just press Enter)

I would also make sure you embed the ACDSee metadata in the images (Select images, right click, select Metadata->Embed ACDSee Metadata)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metadata Preset.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	54402

Comment

To use, select a group of images that have ACDSee metadata database entries, select the preset, and click on Apply (or just press Enter)

I would also make sure you embed the ACDSee metadata in the images (Select images, right click, select Metadata->Embed ACDSee Metadata)
          Thank you! So this preset that you have explained gets used when you select images, select the preset and click apply.
          However, if I do Metadata -> embed acdsee metadata, it doesn't give me the option to choose one of the presets I have made, so how does that work? Does "Embed acdsee metadata" follow its own preset that cannot be changed?

Comment

Thank you! So this preset that you have explained gets used when you select images, select the preset and click apply.
            However, if I do Metadata -> embed acdsee metadata, it doesn't give me the option to choose one of the presets I have made, so how does that work? Does "Embed acdsee metadata" follow its own preset that cannot be changed?
            Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Two different things.

(a) Embed the ACDSee metadata in the selected images .... Select images, right click, select Metadata->Embed ACDSee Metadata
            (b) Copy ACDSee metadata to IPTC.... With images selected use the preset above.

Yes, the embed ACDSee metadata is a built in function. It embeds all of the ACDsee Metadata fields, which from memory also includes ratings, and categories.
            Last edited by Greyfox; 11-27-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Ah, so embedding the Acdsee metadata adds it to the file, but does not add it in the universal IPTC format - it adds something that only Acdsee would be able to read, so the rationale is that, if the metadata is there, it can be retrieved even if the database gets corrupted. I see now. Thanks a lot!

Comment

.... it adds something that only Acdsee would be able to read
                Not quite right,
                The ACDSee metadata is embedded in the image XMP metadata section. Whilst some image software doesn't read or handle XMP properly, it can be read by others. For example ExifTools and ExifToolsGUI can read it..

Comment

I'm a firm believer that ACDSee metadata, keywords, categories captions etc should be embedded into the images (or in the associated sidecar files) as well as copying applicable ACDsee metadata to IPTC. Databases can fail and having the metadata embedded in the images is a great line of defense.
                  I'd love to store meta data for all files in XMP side car files for various reasons:
                  Saver: No need to alter the image itself.
                  Faster: No need to read the image file when reading/writing meta data.
                  Samller: No need to backup the image after changes to meta data.

Appropriate meta data gets included to the images when exporting the files.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post

I'd love to store meta data for all files in XMP side car files for various reasons:
                    Saver: No need to alter the image itself.
                    Faster: No need to read the image file when reading/writing meta data.
                    Samller: No need to backup the image after changes to meta data.

Appropriate meta data gets included to the images when exporting the files.
                    All good points.

Comment

In the Properties Pane, select the Metadata Tab.
                      Near the top you should see a Metadata Presets pull down.

Pull that down and select Manage Presets, that will open up a dialog.
                      The attached basic arrangement copies the ACDSee Metadata fields "Caption", "Keywords" and "Author" to IPTC.
                      You can add your own Usage terms, Contact fields etc to choice.

When completed give the preset a name (the one shown is named "ACDSee Metadata to IPTC") and save it.

Viola! Nothing in Help under metadata! Except how to remove it. This should be written up n a Top Thread. Took me forever to find it and I believe like lots of casual users all I wanted to do was use ACDSee to assign keywords and then have those keywords also be in the IPTC metadata so most programs would see them. Now I know how and it's really pretty easy but they should have gone there by default and you would use the Presets for customization.

Comment

Another BIG help was figuring out that most other programs see Description as Caption.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintagehotdog View Post
                          Another BIG help was figuring out that most other programs see Description as Caption.
                          For reference, the IPTC Standard for images is here https://www.iptc.org/std/photometada...-PhotoMetadata

An extract for the IPTC->Description field is
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IPTC Description.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	56754 If you are looking for best portability between different software, it's advisable to stick as close to the standard as possible, and yes, you can certainly equate IPTC Description with ACDSee Caption, but the system is a bit flexible. For example I choose to equate IPTC Title with ACDSee Caption, and IPTC Description with ACDSee Notes, because that better suits the way I use the metadata.

Comment

To your original question regarding SSD drives and performance, a few comments. Before I get started, it's hard to tell what exactly you're looking for with your question. I get the sense you're interest is file management, adding image files. Batch file updates, metadata management (although related) is a different conversation, more involving data transformation processing speed and drive performance.

Not long ago I built a new PC primarily for my image editing. This machine has two SSD drives, a Rocket high performance SSD that holds WIn10 OS + apps. I have a second SSD, an older, slower SSD that is used as a 'data' drive. I have the current year photos deployed to this drive. I also have multiple large 6 GB/sec SATA hard drives in this machine, one of those drives holds the rest of my data image collection, all images prior to the current year (51,525 files, 640 GB). Next year I will archive (move) year 2021 images to this SATA drive and create a new 2022 folder on the slower SSD. Day to day performance with this setup is excellent. No lags or performance issues to report, I'm able to do my work without issue. I use ACDC Ultimate 2021 primarily for data management, searches, metadata management. Most of my image editing done with Affinity Photo. I go back and forth between both platforms to manage and edit my images.
                            Being a retired IT guy, systems analyst, I have run a lot of performance tests with this data storage architecture. What I've learned is data movement (reads/writes) always affected by the slowest hardware in use, be it data storage drives, or data flow across the network. File transfer from/to my fastest SSD is something to behold. Blink of an eye fast. I use a 100 gb chunk of image data files to perform this test. Data movement between both SSD drives run at the slower speeds of the slower SSD, but very respectable as well in performance. Data performance working with the main SATA storage collection is much slower however, still very usable. I have no issues, performance wise working with this architecture. One thing I will say, all of my image file storage is local. I have networked storage on my system for backups, but I don't use any networked resources for 'day to day' work outside of backups. It's too slow and I'm not good at tolerating performance lags. It's a short attention span thing, I think...
                            JJ

Comment

Working...
                            X