Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo mode options

Using ACD2021
    In the Photo mode options, there is a facility to put some photo metadata into the popup which comes up when you hover over a photo from the list. But one piece of data is missing, the ACDSee Category. Other ACDSee metadata is available, but not that one. Since I now have assigned categories for most of my photos, it woyld be nice to have those displayable. You can get them in several other places, like the slideshow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos-Options.png
Views:	195
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	54668

Originally posted by ajansen View Post
    Using ACD2021
    In the Photo mode options, there is a facility to put some photo metadata into the popup which comes up when you hover over a photo from the list. But one piece of data is missing, the ACDSee Category.
    The category field is also not shown in the properties pane Meta Data tab with the other ACDSee Metadata fields.

Comment

It's a wonder why they would omit such an obvious data element. Again, what are the differences between keywords and categories. I am slowly discovering it one little bit at a time. It would be nice if ACDSee would tell us at once. So far I've learned that keywords can not be used to further filter a query return. Categories may not be added in Photos View. Are there any other differences? Can categories be copied to IPTC keyword field for instance?
      Last edited by Regor250; 12-11-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
        The category field is also not shown in the properties pane Meta Data tab with the other ACDSee Metadata fields.
        There's a one liner right under the check mark, ratings and label-colors. And there's not only the categories tree as sub-section in the catalog pane, since a few version there's also a separate category pane. All three have completely different bells and whistles. No one at AC-Systems ever is leaning back and looking at the big picture; everywhere piecework only.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
          ....Can categories be copied to IPTC keyword field for instance?
          Short answer is Yes, you can copy a Category to an IPTC keyword.

Longer answer.
          In U2021, there is an IPTC "Category" field, which can be seen if you select "ALL IPTC", but not in the "Default Metadata View".
          That IPTC field appears to allow a choice of a fixed set of categories, which do not include any user created ones from the U2021 Catalog->Categories pane. There is also a Supplementary Categories field. The "Available Values" list in that is blank. In the Metadata Presets->Manage Presets, the IPTC Content->Category field has only the canned list so it doesn't allow that field to be copied from the metadata.

The IPTC Content->Keywords field can however be assigned both ACDSee Keywords and ACDSee Categories. But in terms of IPTC metadata that simply makes the Category an IPTC keyword, as can be seen in IPTC->Keywords in ExitToolGUI.

Comment

You can copy the categories into an otherwise unused but displayable field.

See my reply to this post: https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...info#post54023

It's a bit long-winded, but it works.

Comment

Working...
            X