clean ORF raw files gain lots of noise when using Ultimate develop or edit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clean ORF raw files gain lots of noise when using Ultimate develop or edit

My Olympus ORF files when viewed in IrFanview have no noise. Nice clean files. When I open in ACDSEE they momentarily are noise less. Within a second they are full of noise distortion which I am unable to get rid of to an acceptable level using ASDSEE or even using Nik DFine. I've searched this forum but find no solution. Thoughts? thanks

Originally posted by abearing View Post
    My Olympus ORF files when viewed in IrFanview have no noise. Nice clean files. When I open in ACDSEE they momentarily are noise less. Within a second they are full of noise distortion which I am unable to get rid of to an acceptable level using ASDSEE or even using Nik DFine. I've searched this forum but find no solution. Thoughts? thanks
    I think it is likely that IrFanview is just showing the JPG image that is embedded in the .ORF files, rather than actually developing the RAW .ORF file itself, and that what you are seeing briefly in ACDSee is again the embedded JPG until it is replaced by the developed ,ORF file. The embedded JPG has been processed in the camera and that process will include both noise reduction, sharpening and usually a tone curve to produce what Olympus thinks gives a desirable result. In ACDSee, the basic develop process demosaics the RAW file but it is up to you to use the settings in Develop to complete the develop process to your taste. For instance, lens distortion correction is available, but is not applied by default.

I have a number of .ORF files here from Olympus cameras that were taken at ISO 100 which show negligible noise in Develop even at relatively high magnification, but also one taken at ISO 800 which does exhibit noise. Without having a copy of the original ORF file it is not possible to give any definitive answers.

Comment

Greyfox is correct. I did a search on the product and how it handles raw files in general and every forum where this question is asked comes up with the same observation: the jpeg is posted not the raw.

Comment

Thanks TomV and GreyFox: I'll dig a bit deeper. But if I use Olympus workspace and simply save the ORF as a Tiff file, there is much less noise than if I save the same file as a Tiff in ACDSEE. And the Acdsee tiff file is double the size of the Olympus tiff file

Comment

I do the same. I have not seen an application that handles ORF better than Oly Workspace. ACDSee also lacks lens correction for the most recent m.Zuiko lenses, which is another reason to use Oly. Workspace as a first step. I set up Workspace as my default external editor in ACDSee for that reason.

Comment

HI Regor250: Not clear on this: Do you import thru Workspace and then develop/edit in ACDSee and save in ACDSEE? Or import into Workspace, edit in ACDSEE and save in Workspace.
            I import all files thru Workspace and then work on them in ACDS and save in same.

Comment

Thanks TomV and GreyFox: I'll dig a bit deeper. But if I use Olympus workspace and simply save the ORF as a Tiff file, there is much less noise than if I save the same file as a Tiff in ACDSEE. And the Acdsee tiff file is double the size of the Olympus tiff file
              Interesting but I wonder whether that is an apples to oranges comparison.

In terms of noise, would be interesting to compare the noise present in the exported images with Noise reduction turned off in both applications. I wonder how much of the difference might be down to the amount of noise reduction applied by default in the two applications.

In terms of export file size, have you checked whether they are both saving to the same TIFF format. By that I mean whether the exported Olympus TIFF is 8 bit or 16 bit, and whether it is non compressed, or in one of the compressed modes. ACDSee does offer the choice of 8 or 16 bit (24 or 48), and None, LZW and a number of other compression options for TIFF files.

Out of interest, the size of a 16 bit LZW compressed TIFF file exported from ACDSee U2021 is very close in size (actually just slightly smaller) to that of a 16 bit TIFF file from the same RAW image exported from Sony's Imaging Edge using the default compression setting.

Comment

HI Regor250: Not clear on this: Do you import thru Workspace and then develop/edit in ACDSee and save in ACDSEE? Or import into Workspace, edit in ACDSEE and save in Workspace.
                I import all files thru Workspace and then work on them in ACDS and save in same.
                Right now I import RAWs with ACDSee, catalog, select a file and launch (from within ACDSee) Oly Workspace (which is set as my default externat editor) to develop it, export to JPEG in Oly Workspace, back in ACDSee copy paste catalog info from the RAW to the JPEG, then further Develop/Edit the JPEG in ACDSee and various 3rd party plugins. The JPEGs exported by Oly Workspace are categorized as OOC, and the ones (OOC JPEGs) further edited in ACDSee are categorized as Processed.
                Last edited by Regor250; 01-01-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X