Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture +video sorting order

Dear all photo friends

Wish you all a happy new year and hope you stay safe. I'm a simple user of ACDSee Ultimate to organize my pictures and do small corrections. My primary camera is my Samsung mobile but also have a DSLR which I use from time to time.

My issue is that when I sort in ACDSee (using date taken) pictures come first and then movies. I prefer my pictures + videos to come in the correct date/time order regardless of the file format. Do you have any idea how come my movies always come last? Is date captured not correctly stored when using mobile? App used is HD-camera by KX Camera, if you have other and better ideas for app on mobile I'll of course love to hear.

A second question, is sorting order saved in ACDSee when using the backup function?

Best regards & stay safe.
    Allan Andersen

Originally posted by swoop View Post
    ....I'm a simple user of ACDSee Ultimate to organize my pictures and do small corrections. My primary camera is my Samsung mobile but also have a DSLR which I use from time to time.

My issue is that when I sort in ACDSee (using date taken) pictures come first and then movies. I prefer my pictures + videos to come in the correct date/time order regardless of the file format. Do you have any idea how come my movies always come last? Is date captured not correctly stored when using mobile?
    As I understand it, the sort on "Date Taken", is based on the EXIF metadata "Date/Time Original", and if you look at the Properties pane you will see that ACDSee doesn't show any EXIF metadata for videos (at least for any of the video formats I use).

By default, for still photos, the ACDSee Metadata "Database Date" is taken from the EXIF metadata, but for video formats you will see the Database Date defaults to unassigned. Even if you manually assign it doesn't affect the sort on "Date taken", and the sort menu doesn't include the option to sort on "Database Date".

You mentioned that your primary camera is your Samsung mobile. Samsung's Galaxy smartphones, S8 and S10 models at least, use the full "time taken" time stamp as the filename for both still shots and for videos, so with them, if you select sort on "Filename" rather than "Date Taken" you get exactly the order you want, but that probably isn't going to be the case for content taken with your DSLR. Whilst it's easy enough to batch rename still shots with a "timestamp" filename taken from the EXIF metadata in ACDSee, it would have to be done manually in ACDSee for video files.

Phil Harvey's ExifTool can extract some metadata from video formats, and it may be possible to use that utility to batch rename the videos with a timestamp filename format. Uniformity across the different video formats might be an issue though, and for the video files I've looked at, the times in ExifTool seem to be UTC, not local time.

A second question, is sorting order saved in ACDSee when using the backup function?
    I believe the answer to that is no, the Tools->Database->Backup Database backs up the database itself. The sort order is also not saved in a Workspace Preset, but it is remembered as "last used".

Comment

Hi Greyfox

First very sorry that I haven't replied back - just totally forgot it. Thanks a lot for your suggestions which I will for sure use - I'm not so advanced photographer or even fixing pictures, so will read it a couple of times.

I just found a working solution:
      1) Fix the time & dates for the videos
      2) Use the batch function to rename files
      3) Sort based on file names

Thanks again and sorry for my late reply.

Allan Andersen

Comment

Working...
      X