Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important parts of Photo Studio Ultimate 2021 annoyingly slower than Ultimate 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important parts of Photo Studio Ultimate 2021 annoyingly slower than Ultimate 2019

I am a long-time fan of ACDSee photo editing software. I do not use advanced features, but the features I do use are very important and need to be fast. Very important to me is Light EQ (my usual workflow also uses Rotate, Crop, Colour EQ, and Resize). As I was annoyed at how long it takes Ultimate 2019 to load, a few days ago I upgraded to Ultimate 2021 partially due to the claims of Ultimate 2021 being faster.

If Ultimate 2021 loads faster than Utlimate 2019 it is not enough to be worth the trouble, so that is an initial bad impression.

But the huge Ultimate 2021 disappointment for me is how sluggish the two sets of nine sliders are for Light EQ. For Ulimate 2019 they move as soon as you drag them, for Ultimate 2021 there is a lag and this is a huge problem because you need to take your eyes off your work to be sure you properly grabbed the slider, so is very disruptive. I have a decent and recent Windows 10 machine with 32 Gbytes of RAM and 1 Tbyte of SSD and given it was fast enough for Ultimate 2019 Light EQ, the same machine should not be slower running the same Light EQ utility under Ultimate 2021.

I am also disappointed that the Magic Wand selection tool does not adjust the selection when the threshold is changed, so you end up cancelling and redoing to find the best threshold. This reminds me of why I didn't like whatever version of Photoshop I used to use where you needed to specify the rotation degrees then when it was wrong, cancel that and choose a new number and do it again and again. ACDSee's real-time rotation was a huge improvement and such friendliness is one reason I changed to ACDSee several years ago. But ACDSee doesn't show real-time changes to selection thresholds, which makes for the selection being an unnecessarily labourious and iterative process.

It feels that Ultimate 2021 is getting to be complicated bloatware, getting too far from when it was quick and intuitive.

Interesting, I have similar hardware, if anything not quite as powerful 5yrs old machine and have not noticed such sluggishness. Did you try updating your video driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell View Post

...But the huge Ultimate 2021 disappointment for me is how sluggish the two sets of nine sliders are for Light EQ.

I appreciate that there can be a wide variation in performance of any software given the number of variants in play, however I am surprised at your comment about lag in the Light EQ sliders.

Reaction of the two banks of EQ light sliders here in U2021 is virtually instantaneous, whether it is adjusting any single vertical slider, or using the horizontal brightening or darkening sliders to act on each bank as a whole. And as some point of reference, that is with both a Fujifilm 55.3MB (148.5MB uncompressed) RAW image. and also with a Sony A7R II 41.2MB (241.3MB uncompressed) RAW Image.

Last edited by Greyfox; 01-11-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I just checked on my 4 yr old computer and I have no problems with response in Light EQ in the Edit mode.

Comment

Responses much appreciated, I will check for video driver updates.

Comment

The update is that my video driver was already current, but I do have low-end video on this computer. As I don't play games and do relatively little photo editing (the machine is mainly for Word, Visio, and Outlook that don't need much graphics power), I purposely did not get a high-end video adapter on this machine. So while I therefore have no right to complain about how fast the graphics are on this machine, I think I do have the right to complain that ACDSee's Light EQ is slower in Ultimate 2021 than in Ultimate 2019, which is odd as I don't think there has been any change in functionality of it, at least for the "9-slider Standard" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell View Post
              ..I think I do have the right to complain that ACDSee's Light EQ is slower in Ultimate 2021 than in Ultimate 2019, which is odd as I don't think there has been any change in functionality of it, at least for the "9-slider Standard" mode.
              I agree that on the same PC, with no hardware changes, no software changes other than the new version of ACDSee, and using the same image (or at least one of the same overall pixel dimensions) that one should not expect the performance of the Light EQ to have deteriorated.

Other than if the graphics card was actually faulty, or had a driver issue, I don't think the GPU is actually playing much part in this. On my tests, whilst CPU use certainly ramps up significantly during a Light EQ adjustment, there is minimal use or change showing for the GPU.

When you alter the Light EQ slider, or drag its cursor up and down on the image, the update of the image (not just the view on the screen) is live or real time, and I would have expected perhaps some lag to occur on very large images. Today I gave U2021 a 1.6GB uncompressed 24 bit RGB image (29,472px by 19584px) specifically to see if whether that would introduce some slow down. I was surprised that the Light EQ sliders were still smooth and without lag, as was the image update when the Light EQ cursor was dragged up and down on it.

So maybe time to see what Customer Support can come up with.

Comment

In the interests of full disclosure, the tests I did with the 1.6GB uncompressed image in my previous post were done in Develop mode.
                Whilst I could transfer backwards and forwards between Manage, View and Develop with this image, a continuation of the test after my last post has shown up a different issue with Edit Mode.

When I select this image in Manage mode, and then switch to Edit mode, after a short delay Edit mode opens, the image thumbnail and that of a couple of smaller images in the same folder are visible in the horizontal film strip at the bottom, and the image thumbnail is visible in Layer 1, however the centre screen is completely blank. No error messages and the application is still active.

Once this has occurred, selecting one of the smaller images from the filmstrip briefly brings up the loading indicator and then shows the image thumbnail on layer 1, but again doesn't show in the main screen. Whilst I can switch back to manage mode, and then show either the smaller or the large image in View mode, no images can then be shown in either Edit or Develop mode until U2021 is shut down and restarted. This is completely repeatable. Obviously the 1.6MB uncompressed image has exceeded some limit in Edit mode, but there should be error trapping to prevent this occurring, at least indicating that the image exceeds allowable limits and preventing the issue where U2021 has to be restarted to restore full functionality..

I'll file a report with Customer Service.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
                  In the interests of full disclosure, the tests I did with the 1.6GB uncompressed image in my previous post were done in Develop mode.
                  Whilst I could transfer backwards and forwards between Manage, View and Develop with this image, a continuation of the test after my last post has shown up a different issue with Edit Mode.

When I select this image in Manage mode, and then switch to Edit mode, after a short delay Edit mode opens, the image thumbnail and that of a couple of smaller images in the same folder are visible in the horizontal film strip at the bottom, and the image thumbnail is visible in Layer 1, however the centre screen is completely blank. No error messages and the application is still active.

Once this has occurred, selecting one of the smaller images from the filmstrip briefly brings up the loading indicator and then shows the image thumbnail on layer 1, but again doesn't show in the main screen. Whilst I can switch back to manage mode, and then show either the smaller or the large image in View mode, no images can then be shown in either Edit or Develop mode until U2021 is shut down and restarted. This is completely repeatable. Obviously the 1.6MB uncompressed image has exceeded some limit in Edit mode, but there should be error trapping to prevent this occurring, at least indicating that the image exceeds allowable limits and preventing the issue where U2021 has to be restarted to restore full functionality..

I'll file a report with Customer Service.
                  Hi Greyfox
                  what are pixel dimensions of this large image ?
                  If it is like a pano image and the longest side is longer than something a bit more than 16000 pixels then ACDSee can't handle it.
                  Which makes working with large pano images impossible with ACDSee :-(
                  And a pano image can quickly and easily exceed that 16000 limit

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post

Hi Greyfox
                    what are pixel dimensions of this large image ?
                    If it is like a pano image and the longest side is longer than something a bit more than 16000 pixels then ACDSee can't handle it.
                    Which makes working with large pano images impossible with ACDSee :-(
                    And a pano image can quickly and easily exceed that 16000 limit
                    Hi Trevor
                    The pixel dimensions of the 1.6GB uncompressed file I initially used was 29,472px by 19584px.

In subsequent tests, using square images, I found that Edit could not display an image 20000px by 20000px.
                    Develop was able to display a 20000px by 20000px image and to export it after some basic adjustments
                    Develop was also able to display a 25000px by 25000px image and sometimes, but not always, able to export it after a few simple adjustments.
                    Interestingly the error message after a failed export mentions fail to load

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fail message.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	55026

It seems to me the current intended limit is probably 16000px by 16000px as that is the limit imposed by the entry boxes for both resize and crop functions, however if there is any error trapping to prevent attempts to open images larger than U2021 can handle it's not working very well.

Anyhow, the ticket has been submitted. Will be interesting to see what Customer support say..

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Anyhow, the ticket has been submitted. Will be interesting to see what Customer support say..
                      It would certainly be good if they allow us to work on pano images larger than the rather small 16000 pixel limit !!

Comment

Working...
                      X