Error Message Encountered improper argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Message Encountered improper argument

I was working in Edit mode on an image I had previously saved in Tif format, I had made a number of changes to the image using layers, I then flattened the image, made several local changes to the exposure; however after selecting Light EQ, I received an error message, clicking OK then launched the module but it was blank. I then tried to save what I had, but I was then presented with another error message ACDSee encountered a problem and had to close. Click image for larger version

Name:	ACDSee error.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	54992 Has anyone seen this before? Is it likely to happen again?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Icefe View Post
    I was working in Edit mode on an image I had previously saved in Tif format, I had made a number of changes to the image using layers, I then flattened the image, made several local changes to the exposure; however after selecting Light EQ, I received an error message,
    clicking OK then launched the module but it was blank. I then tried to save what I had, but I was then presented with another error message ACDSee encountered a problem and had to close. Has anyone seen this before? Is it likely to happen again?
    What Windows version, what ACDSee Ultimate version, what size image?. How much system memory, what graphics card?

Knowing what the first error message said might have provided a clue. Unfortunately the second error message is just a generic error message.
    Maybe if you open Windows Event Viewer and look around the time of the incident, there may have been an event logged that might provide some further information.
    It could be due to any number of things, a memory issue, a graphics driver problem, interaction with some other software or operating system function etc...etc.

It is possible that if you exactly repeated the steps leading up to it, using the same image, it might occur again. If it can't be reliably reproduced, and documented, then the chances of locating the cause are pretty slim.

The only suggestions I can offer at this stage,

Reboot the PC
    Make sure your Windows system is up to date
    Make sure your Graphics drivers are up to date

As far as ACDSee is concerned
    Backup the database regularly - Tools->Database->Backup Database
    Run Tools->Database->Optimize Database regularly
    If you are working on complex multi-layer tasks, save often to an ACDSee project file (.acdc). That way if there is a problem, you will be able to recover back to your last save.

Comment

Has anyone seen this before?
      Yepp, from time to time.

Is it likely to happen again?
      Yepp, but not nearly as often as the beloved "System error ...". No matter what version of AC or OS.
      Workaround: Don't bother AC with large files. Origin could be an improper exception handling in the code. If so, there's nothing you can do about it. But that's wild guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

What Windows version, what ACDSee Ultimate version, what size image?. How much system memory, what graphics card?
        Thank you for taking the time to respond, your advice for working in AC is spot on, I agree re the saving as you go along for complex or long edits

I have a fairly modest desktop running the latest ver of Win 10 (with all the updates), the image is 120.3Mb, 32Gb RAM, GeForce 610 2Gb RAM. (latest drivers)

I could not find anything in the OS logs that would indicate there was a hardware or OS issue. Do AC have a crash dump log?, Rather than rebooting the PC I thought it would be worthwhile repeating the sequences leading up to the error message, without flushing the system.

Resarting AC U2020, started as normal i.e it returned to the last accessed folder, the file I had been working on at the time of the error was recognised by AC U2020 as a Tif image but it would not allow me to view or edit it. I used Win photo application which loaded it without a problem, I used the option to make a copy.

AC U2020, loaded the copy without issue, I was able to repeat the sequence: file loaded for edit, an additional Tif image (sky) dragged from the image basket to form a layer, mask added to this layer, Exposure applied, light EQ applied (it was at opening this module the error had appeared), Dehaze applied, Colour EQ applied, Sharpening applied. - Happy bunny, no crashes!

However, this teaves the error unexplained, and another issue with the tombstone Tif file that AC can't process but other editors can!

Like Emil stated, I think this is code related something annoyingly I will have to live with! :0(

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post

Yepp, but not nearly as often as the beloved "System error ...". No matter what version of AC or OS.
          Workaround: Don't bother AC with large files. Origin could be an improper exception handling in the code. If so, there's nothing you can do about it. But that's wild guess.
          Thanks Emil, appreciate your time! "Don't bother AC with large files" I wasn't aware this was an issue is there an upper limit?

Comment

is there an upper limit?
            There obviously is :-) Occasionally posts pop up it the forum, describing problems with large tiffs, large amounts of files or whatever. Sometimes these posts compare sizes that work with large sizes that force a crash. But I think I've never seen confirmed values.

From my experience:
            All old 32bit versions of AC crashed for me when I tried to catalogue more then 20,000 images in one run. After installing the first 64bit version (pro v6?) this problem was solved and I could easily catalogue 250,000 items in a single run. Now with Ult. v14 the amount is limited again: It always crashes after 25,000 - 30,000, no matter what drive or files set.

I'm sure there's a pointer going wild or whatever somewhere deep in the code in a very basic but important function. The sword of Damocles always hovers over AC, but experienced users have learned to live with the limitations and found shortcuts in the dead marshes.

Comment

However, this leaves the error unexplained, and another issue with the tombstone Tif file that AC can't process but other editors can!
              ACDSee may have quarantined the TIF file.
              If ACDSee has trouble reading a corrupted or incomplete image or media file, or a file causes a plug-in to generate an error, ACDSee will quarantine that file.

See more about that in the help file at
              https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse...ght=quarantine

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

ACDSee may have quarantined the TIF file.
                If ACDSee has trouble reading a corrupted or incomplete image or media file, or a file causes a plug-in to generate an error, ACDSee will quarantine that file.

See more about that in the help file at
                https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse...ght=quarantine
                Spot on! Thanks for directing me to this feature, I have elected to turn it off, ran the database optimisation and it now accessible.
                If I face this issue down the line it seems to me that running the file through an external editor will provide AC with the best chance of continuing with the edit, rather than having to go to a previous version.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X